• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Philosophy of Paring Down a Collection

56 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some fresh advice and different takes on how other boardies have approached paring down their collection(s).

For the past two decades, I've collected both Marvel and DC, with an emphasis on Silver & Bronze. But lately, I've been having a collecting crisis of sorts. I've seriously been entertaining the notion of dumping my entire DC collection and solely collecting Marvel.

I'm not really sure why. Lately, my desire to collect DC has really stagnated for no rhyme or reason. On the flip side, I'm still very passionate about collecting Marvel, especially early Silver Age Marvel. I guess maybe it's easier to see an end game when only collecting one publisher? Or maybe I just need more structure to my collecting habits? Maybe I'm just tired of spending the money on both. I don't really know what is spurring this on. It just is.

The philosophical dilemma (at least from a comic collector's standpoint ;) ) is that selling my DC collection would allow me a tremendous amount of breathing room to fill in those expensive early gaps in my Marvel collection. But it would also mean turning my back on the DC characters that I still cherish and love.

Is it better to collect a smattering of keys from both of the big publishers? Or to have a more complete collection of only one of them?

So, I'd like to hear your stories and struggles with paring down your collections. The what, why, and how much you collect. Am I gonna regret collecting just Marvel books? Am I betraying DC? Sound off on your philosophies regarding collecting. It might just help me make my decision. (thumbs u

This past week I have pared down a huge amount of my collection to chase after one particular (and expensive) book. I've been thinking about this book non-stop for over a year, and I knew that I wanted it.

I also came to the realization that the books I was getting rid of to obtain it mostly replaceable (except for the sketch cover art books), so it made it easier to live with.

However, the downside is that some books cannot be replaced for what they were purchased for. For instance, I bought a FN copy of Iron Man 55 for $26. I will never be able to replace that book for $26 - so yes, while you can always re-buy the books you regret selling, some books cannot be rebought for the same price you originally paid.

I am bummed to see my shelves so bare after 5 years of collecting CGC stuff, but that's the way it goes when you refocus.

Oh, and to answer your other question: I collect what I refer to as the '500 keys' - all Marvel books from SA/BA/CA. I posted the link to the list here in the Silver Age forum

As always, collect what you like. But if you need the space, you will need to make some sacrifices. If you're considering letting go of the DC stuff, then you probably won't miss it too much when it's gone. As you said, it will give you some space and cash to complete your Marvel collection, and that seems to be what you like the most.

Plus, DC has rebooted their universe twice, so a lot of those old stories never really happened anyway. :insane:

In very general terms, my rule of thumb when selling-off/down-sizing my "permanent" collection is this: would I have thought that this or that book was cool when I was 12 years-old?

If the answer is "yes", it stays...if not, it goes.

Probably won't work for everyone, but it's left me with about 20-25 boxes full of books (mostly SA and BA Marvels) which I really like, and has divested me of at least that many boxes (or more) over the past 10-15 years which I don't really miss at all...

I find my collecting focus changes somewhat often. Sure there are my core books that I (for now) don't think I will ever sell, but I always seem to develop new appreciation for different characters, art, covers, etc.

So, for what it is worth I try not to guilt myself over selling anything because I am always replacing it with something I want more. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses! I guess I shouldn't be beating myself up so bad over this decision. I just don't want to feel like I've betrayed all the good, collectible stuff DC has put out over the last 75 years. I love it. I'm a fan. I'm just not sure I want to (or even can) collect both publishers anymore.

It doesn't help matters that my collection is about 70/30 Marvel to DC right now, either. Like I said before, if I make a move, dumping DC is the more logical approach... as tough as that might be.

Collecting is an outward reflection of your internal enjoyment.

Selling your entire collection wouldn't change what you're a fan of anymore than selling every mirror in your house would change who you are. Right?

With the internet you can immerse yourself in any aspect of comic books, except maybe the smell. But that's what memories are for.

Selling your entire collection wouldn't change what you're a fan of anymore than selling every mirror in your house would change who you are. Right?

With the internet you can immerse yourself in any aspect of comic books, except maybe the smell. But that's what memories are for.

Holy deep, Batman! (thumbs u

You make an excellent point.

In very general terms, my rule of thumb when selling-off/down-sizing my "permanent" collection is this: would I have thought that this or that book was cool when I was 12 years-old?

If the answer is "yes", it stays...if not, it goes.

Probably won't work for everyone, but it's left me with about 20-25 boxes full of books (mostly SA and BA Marvels) which I really like, and has divested me of at least that many boxes (or more) over the past 10-15 years which I don't really miss at all...

Excellent points! And I get the approach. There are the books you like... and the books you're supposed to like. And a big disconnect in between.

This past week I have pared down a huge amount of my collection to chase after one particular (and expensive) book. I've been thinking about this book non-stop for over a year, and I knew that I wanted it.

You've got to tell us what book :baiting:

I find my collecting focus changes somewhat often. Sure there are my core books that I (for now) don't think I will ever sell, but I always seem to develop new appreciation for different characters, art, covers, etc.

So, for what it is worth I try not to guilt myself over selling anything because I am always replacing it with something I want more. Rinse and repeat.

Well said!

As always, collect what you like. But if you need the space, you will need to make some sacrifices. If you're considering letting go of the DC stuff, then you probably won't miss it too much when it's gone. As you said, it will give you some space and cash to complete your Marvel collection, and that seems to be what you like the most.

Plus, DC has rebooted their universe twice, so a lot of those old stories never really happened anyway. :insane:

:grin:

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses! I guess I shouldn't be beating myself up so bad over this decision. I just don't want to feel like I've betrayed all the good, collectible stuff DC has put out over the last 75 years. I love it. I'm a fan. I'm just not sure I want to (or even can) collect both publishers anymore.

It doesn't help matters that my collection is about 70/30 Marvel to DC right now, either. Like I said before, if I make a move, dumping DC is the more logical approach... as tough as that might be.

Is it all slabbed?

I'm going to start "pairing" down my collection, but it is going to be stuff that I'll never read again. Most of it will be drek, but I'm fine with that in all honesty.

...... I wouldn't get rid of ALL the D.C. books. Keep two or three of your very favorites from each of your favorite runs..... 5 years from now you'll be glad you did. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks. :) I really struggled with it when collecting started 'leaving me behind' with all the focus on nano-defects, pressing, and unpublished criteria. I finally arrived at my lifelong love of comics being just that. And on a very long list of everything about comics that has brought me joy, flawless paper would'nt even be on it.

There's really nothing to lose by letting go.

The problem I have is that the stuff I want to get rid of isn't even worth the time and effort it takes to sell them, I value my own free time more than the money I'd make.

I shifted my focus to rarities and keys, but the ones I want are either more expensive than I'm willing to pay or extremely difficult to find. I started buying books that were outside of my core focus due to boredom. The books are interesting to me. but it's not the stuff i REALLY WANT.

Over time I amassed so many comics that I couldn't justify the space they consumed. I envisioned myself rereading them in my later years, but now I know that is unlikely. When am I going to be in the mood to reread a run of Marvel Team-up from scratch? Probably never.

I have a run of X-Men from #1-350. I don't care about very many at all above #150. Even silver age stuff like #17 is a dud. The concept of owning complete sets of common stuff like that just doesn't appeal to me.

By all means, trim down the collection. The books you are proudest to own probably cost a little more to own and that's fine. Focus on what you enjoy the most.

DG

You've got to tell us what book :baiting:

AF15 :headbang:

Thanks. :) I really struggled with it when collecting started 'leaving me behind' with all the focus on nano-defects, pressing, and unpublished criteria. I finally arrived at my lifelong love of comics being just that. And on a very long list of everything about comics that has brought me joy, flawless paper would'nt even be on it.

There's really nothing to lose by letting go.

I think you're spot on. And it makes me feel a little better about the potential of letting go of my DCs or anything else I may decide to part with in the process. Like you said, we're a much bigger part of the industry these days...especially with the comic book movie genre. It might be awesome expensive old paper, but it's still expensive old paper.

The problem I have is that the stuff I want to get rid of isn't even worth the time and effort it takes to sell them, I value my own free time more than the money I'd make.

I shifted my focus to rarities and keys, but the ones I want are either more expensive than I'm willing to pay or extremely difficult to find. I started buying books that were outside of my core focus due to boredom. The books are interesting to me. but it's not the stuff i REALLY WANT.

Over time I amassed so many comics that I couldn't justify the space they consumed. I envisioned myself rereading them in my later years, but now I know that is unlikely. When am I going to be in the mood to reread a run of Marvel Team-up from scratch? Probably never.

I have a run of X-Men from #1-350. I don't care about very many at all above #150. Even silver age stuff like #17 is a dud. The concept of owning complete sets of common stuff like that just doesn't appeal to me.

By all means, trim down the collection. The books you are proudest to own probably cost a little more to own and that's fine. Focus on what you enjoy the most.

DG

Appreciate the input! I tend to steer away from the common stuff too unless it's uber important to me. And very little of it is. At the end of the day, the expensive stuff is usually (though not always) expensive for a reason.

...... I wouldn't get rid of ALL the D.C. books. Keep two or three of your very favorites from each of your favorite runs..... 5 years from now you'll be glad you did. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I get where you're coming from. I'm debating keeping my Adventure #247, seeing as it's my namesake on here and all, and it's one of my favorite DC books. But then I think it would be a little strange to have only one DC book, no matter how important it is.