• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unexpected Spectre from Mexico

14 posts in this topic

Good afternoon CGC board members. :hi:

I was actually going to put this off until I managed to reel in a couple more books but since this is my 3000th post I though it would be a great way to make it memorable and possibly raise awareness about the aspect of this hobby of ours that I enjoy so much.

I've been working on completing runs of Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson covers from other countries. The one country that has probably the greatest amount of US material published is Mexico. One publisher specifically, Editorial Novaro, put out an absolutely staggering amount of DC material from the Silver Age through the mid 1980s. Finally after a little over three years I have completed two of the runs I've been working so diligently to complete. I'm very close to being done with a few more but these are the first ones finished. I'm fairly confident they're probably the only runs of their type in the US.

Now... on with the show!

Spectre

Granted there's only four Adams covers in this run but, ask anyone who knows foreign books, these are very difficult books to find.

th_Spectre2Mexico_zpscfb4d608.jpgth_Spectre3Mexico_zpsf44e6a26.jpgth_Spectre4bMexico_zps1a3ceb11.jpgth_Spectre5Mexico_zpsfb848052.jpg

Unexpected

Again not a large run, only nine books with Adams covers but it still took over three years to track down copies of them all.

th_Unexpected104Mexico.jpgth_Unexpected110Mexico_zpsf7db1153.jpgth_Unexpected112Mexico_zps0e91e123.jpgth_Unexpected113Mexico.jpgth_Unexpected114Mexico_zps4d38d915.jpg

th_Unexpected115Mexico_zpsb9a0e66e.jpgth_Unexpected118Mexico_zpsfae6ee98.jpgth_Unexpected121Mexico_zps7fb524da.jpgth_Unexpected124Mexico_zps3c13a285.jpg

:banana:3000 :banana:

Do you have data on how many of those covers are re-formatted splash pages, unused covers or covers drawn specifically for the foreign editions? There are several of those covers that I do not recognize.

Good afternoon CGC board members. :hi:

I was actually going to put this off until I managed to reel in a couple more books but since this is my 3000th post I though it would be a great way to make it memorable and possibly raise awareness about the aspect of this hobby of ours that I enjoy so much.

I've been working on completing runs of Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson covers from other countries. The one country that has probably the greatest amount of US material published is Mexico. One publisher specifically, Editorial Novaro, put out an absolutely staggering amount of DC material from the Silver Age through the mid 1980s. Finally after a little over three years I have completed two of the runs I've been working so diligently to complete. I'm very close to being done with a few more but these are the first ones finished. I'm fairly confident they're probably the only runs of their type in the US.

Now... on with the show!

Spectre

Granted there's only four Adams covers in this run but, ask anyone who knows foreign books, these are very difficult books to find.

th_Spectre2Mexico_zpscfb4d608.jpgth_Spectre3Mexico_zpsf44e6a26.jpgth_Spectre4bMexico_zps1a3ceb11.jpgth_Spectre5Mexico_zpsfb848052.jpg

Unexpected

Again not a large run, only nine books with Adams covers but it still took over three years to track down copies of them all.

th_Unexpected104Mexico.jpgth_Unexpected110Mexico_zpsf7db1153.jpgth_Unexpected112Mexico_zps0e91e123.jpgth_Unexpected113Mexico.jpgth_Unexpected114Mexico_zps4d38d915.jpg

th_Unexpected115Mexico_zpsb9a0e66e.jpgth_Unexpected118Mexico_zpsfae6ee98.jpgth_Unexpected121Mexico_zps7fb524da.jpgth_Unexpected124Mexico_zps3c13a285.jpg

:banana:3000 :banana:

Amazing acheivment on both counts Tim!!!!!!!! :applause::applause:(worship)(worship)

You being a foreign run guy more so then a key based set type guy... I gotta say in many ways the run type is far more difficult to achieve. hm Sets can be incomplete and still showed off and admired..... but a run is somthing you kinda need filled in completely before you can get that "Charge" we all know and love.....

Give yourself credit sir! The crazy foreign guy from Indiana has a love for Mexican books that might rival some Mexican collectors!!!!! :o

Do you have data on how many of those covers are re-formatted splash pages, unused covers or covers drawn specifically for the foreign editions? There are several of those covers that I do not recognize.

They're all covers that were published in those runs in the US. The first is actually from Tales of the Unexpected though. Here's links to the GCBDB pages.

Unexpected

Spectre

They're all covers that were published in those runs in the US. The first is actually from Tales of the Unexpected though. Here's links to the GCBDB pages.

Unexpected

Spectre

Thanks for the link. I bet I hadn't seen 30% of those covers, and would have thought I'd seen them all. lol

Unexpected

Spectre

Thanks for the link. I bet I hadn't seen 30% of those covers, and would have thought I'd seen them all. lol

we are all literally still finding and discovering old foreign comics from countries we never even knew published them.....

you would be amazed!!!!!!!!

Unexpected

Spectre

The sheer volume of DC books that Novaro published is staggering. Take a look through my Photobucket sometime and you'll see what I mean. (thumbs u

I've been working on signature series sets of all 4 (or 5?) volumes of SPECTRE now for the past three years. Great looking books!

To kind of put it in perspective just how hard these are to find... one of the guys here on the boards is not only located near Mexico City but actually used to work for the publisher (doing translations) and HE can't find copies of them.

Here's a couple other runs/story lines/sets I've managed to finish. The Adams books will probably end up subbed for SS.

Ra's Al Ghul saga

th_DetectiveComics405Mexico.jpgth_DetectiveComics411Mexico.jpgth_Batman232aMexico.jpgth_Batman235Mexico.jpgth_Batman240Mexico.jpg

th_Batman241Mexico.jpgth_Batman242Mexico.jpgth_Batman243Mexico.jpgth_Batman244Mexico.jpg

DC Western Heroes 1st appearances (Jonah Hex, El Diablo & Bat Lash)

th_AllStarWestern10Mexico_zpsc133470e.jpgth_AllStarWestern2Mexico_zpsa8f06a8f.jpgth_Showcase76Mexico_zps2807b259.jpg

Jonah Hex: This is as far as I'm going with the run from All-Star Western and Weird Western Tales.

th_AllStarWestern10Mexico_zpsc133470e.jpgth_AllStarWestern11Mexico_zps83dec21a.jpgth_WeirdWesternTales12Mexico_zps184b1241.jpgth_WeirdWesternTales13Mexico_zpsd5e09413.jpg

th_WeirdWesternTales14Mexico_zpsf5af24d1.jpgth_WeirdWesternTales15Mexico_zps44f13de4.jpgth_WeirdWesternTales16Mexico_zpsb695f0a9.jpgth_WeirdWesternTales17Mexico_zpsc756e0e7.jpg