• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date Stamps

41 posts in this topic

I used to hate them but if I factor it into the price (ie, I'd pay more for a book without the date stamp than for the same book in the same condition with one), then I can see myself picking it up. but it'd be the first one I'd flip if I found an equal unstamped replacement smile.gif

The official Overstreet line is that it doesn't effect grade, so it should not therefore effect price.

However, if you look at it from the point of view of the potential market you're selling into, everyone would happily buy a book without a date stamp, whereas a portion of that sell-same market (I'm not one of them, I might add), would not touch a book with a date stamp.

By the simple rules of supply and demand, the book without the date stamp should therefore command better prices.

However, I actually like neat date stamps on books, as it gives them a sense of history, IMHO.

But then again, I'm a saddo.....

As long as it's fairly small and neat, I don't mind them at all. In some cases, I think a date stamp adds to the history and nostalgia of the book. I always look for date stamps from the day I was born (5/15/68), and I finally found one last year. cloud9.gif

However, if it's a big ugly grease pencil mess, I'd avoid it.

I'm not mad on them, but they aren't as abhorrent as all that. Generally they're much better than the large "9d" pence stamps that affected all distributed DCs and many Marvels in the U.K. up until the late '60s. Normally they'd be placed by Thorpe and Porter (the distributors, hence the "t&p" stamp) right on Green Lantern's head, probably deliberately. mad.gif

If the date stamp isn't smudged and is in an unobtrusive area, it isn't so bad.

How does CGC handle them? Qualified?

TTBOMK, doesn't count as a flaw except perhaps for 9.9 and 10.0. That said, there are exceptions to every rule and I'm sure a wildly messy or large date stamp may detract from an otherwise better book in certain grades.

We'll know for sure when CGC publishes their grading standards. 27_laughing.giftonofbricks.gif

Do they tend to detract from the value of a book?

I don't think CGC detracts from the grade due to date stamps (possibly at the 9.9 or 10.0 level?), but books with date stamps do not bring the same $$ as equal-grade books without them. So the answer to the above question is yes.

How does CGC handle them? Qualified?

TTBOMK, doesn't count as a flaw except perhaps for 9.9 and 10.0. That said, there are exceptions to every rule and I'm sure a wildly messy or large date stamp may detract from an otherwise better book in certain grades.

We'll know for sure when CGC publishes their grading standards. 27_laughing.giftonofbricks.gif

There was a TTA#98, CGC 9.8 on Comiclink recently with a date stamp right on the front cover and it was fugly. I was a little surprised to see such a high rating with the stamp on it.