• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection just in - Pictures and a story

131 posts in this topic

Got a call for a large SA collection. About 10 boxes of really good stuff. One question I ask to see if the owner really has the books or can tell me about them is "What is the best or most valuable book you have?" That was followed by silence and a comment that there are just so many.

Hmmmmm - OK how about your top 3? He said he'd text me images. Great.

I did get some images so that was good and half were nice and half were not.

Long story short it was a 2 hour drive each way with not a lot of promise. Oh yeah, he also said he wanted $25,000 for the entire collection.

Long story short. I made an offer significantly less than that and when he wouldn't take it I started to walk. As I was leaving he asked if I was paying cash. Well, some cash and a Money order later and I drove off with a decent but low grade SA collection of about 3 full long boxes. Some Bronze and Copper/Modern as well.

Clearly the seller didn't know what he had.

Everything was mixed up in no particluar order and old intermingled with new.

He mentioned that he had a lot of "Hall of Fame" comics. I said - what's a Hall of Fame book? And he showed me the latest Overstreet where they were highlighting certain books that way.

Awesome.

Also, he let me know that one of the key books sold for $20,000.

Jebus H 'Merica, sure a Green Lantern 76 CGC 9.8 may have sold for that last year but your copy is a water logged piece of worth $50???? Is what I was thinking.

It took a bit of education but we got to a deal. Oh yeah it was raining outside too, I love when that happens.

Then when I go to unbag the boogs, they are seriously taped with a full side strip of duct tape or packaging tape. Or they had the thin bags that are oversized and so are double folded and then taped at all corners and edges.

Did I mention this might be for a Captain Marvel 7 G/VG? So it takes me 30 seconds to unbag a $3 comic. Lovely.

Still a lot of fun and with the sizable number of keys I was very pleased with the lot.

No mega keys, even the Avengers 4 is a GRR. With grades being relatively low on the early stuff I'm not sure there's a $200 book.

Spiderman 129 around VG

Hulk 181 top 1/3 cover off

GS Xmen 1 G/VG

ASM 121 F/VF

TOS 52 VG- or so

Tec 359 and GL 76 have sizeable water stains.

But I always count myself lucky when those issues are there. Nothing worse than the collection that goes ASM 127, 128, 130 131 132 133 138 139.

The size of the collection is nice so I may just have to sell a bunch as lots.

My personal collection is GA cartoon 1st appearances so I'll be posting as many of these in the next few days.

Congratulations on picking this up. (thumbs u

But I always count myself lucky when those issues are there. Nothing worse than the collection that goes ASM 127, 128, 130 131 132 133 138 139.

When one sees this, is it a case of a collector who has sold the keys individually before they tried to sell the rest and/or who got cherry-picked when they first tried to move their stuff -- or is it a case of a collector who never got the keys to begin with (largely due to their higher price), and who may have put their collection together around them, buying the lesser-priced stuff to make their dollars stretch further? I wonder which is the more common scenario? hm