• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection just in - Pictures and a story

131 posts in this topic

Not a bad haul. i number of the spidey's are low to mid grade from Metropolis which is always good. Got a low grade Av 4 thrown in for good measure too.

Picsff116.jpg

Picsff117.jpg

Its decent, mid grade though VG to Fine.

So the story behind this one is pretty simple. Guy has a 20-30 box collection of marvels 1960s on up. I did ask why he's only selling part of the collection instead of the whole thing and he basically just needs about a couple thousand to pay bills so AF 15 and 3-20 should do the trick.

While this doesn't make sense to me (I'd try to sell 21-500 first) I'm all for a pickup like this.

I show up to a trailer home village and have a heck of a time finding the right one. I also get a little heebie jeebie about making a purchase in this environment- we all have our stereotypes and yes, mine is that I'd rather buy a collection from a $500k suburban home than a trailer park or Baltimore row house. But I do find that those that live below the poverty line are just as nice as anyone else and this was no exception. Still I found it sad as inside it was very dark and there were 4 kids lying around basically playing video games.

I know its common enough to way overspend on this hobby, and in this case it allowed me to pick up a great collection. I certainly don't know his personal situation but I do question his judgement with the most likely scenario of his living month to month yet having a huge collection easily worth over $20,000 and taking up a ton of space. And he was really happy with my counter offer and took it immediately. Plenty of collection left if he needs more money later, which is likely.

Even if the AF 15 is trimmed I'll make out just fine and if its not, it'll be a huge win. He said bought it 5 years ago for $1600 and didn't think it had been trimmed. The bottom edge has the overhang (with some chipping) so I'm not too worried about the top. I simply don't like to see zero right edge chipping and then a bit of the interior comic paper showing. There is some wear at the right edge that looks natural but I have a slight doubt anyway. If I had to pay full Good price I'd definitely pass, but we'll see what CGC says.

I'm heading out on vacation so I won't hit the marketplace until August, I'll be posting most if not all of the 3-50 and the AV 4 then.

Ed

... I'd rather buy a collection from a $500k suburban home than a trailer park or Baltimore row house. ...

Ed

No Hamsterdam visits for you, then?

Here's my question to those that go on collection "hunts" - where do they come from? Does it involve scrolling through CraigsList links, putting up a "buying" link of your own, word-of-mouth via the LCS....?

I just got done playing and the cover was off. You look at other selling threads you'll see me black cover. I play better when I'm drinking though.

Have a solid lead on another collection. About 100 comics but lots of key books. No mega keys though. I've seen the list and some pictures and we have a price so as long as condition lives up to expectations, this should be a done deal.

Cap 100-111

ASM 58-67 94 96 100 102 others

Surfer 1-4

Avengers 48-55 93 100 others

Nick Fury 1-6

Submariner 1-8

Iron Man 1, 2 and IM + Sub 1

Thor 150-165 others

FF 68-80 others

DD 38-50 others

Green lantern 85 86

Captain Marvel 1-5

Varios reprints and randoms etc.

No Xmen

Also a Mars Attack card set which is pretty cool, I've never owned these before.

Also a Mars Attack card set which is pretty cool, I've never owned these before.

What kind of condition? Sharp corners?

???

No mostly VG's with 1 and the checklist Fair to G

Alright, another nice collection in today. Had a call from a guy maybe 4 years ago who had "a couple hundred marvels from the 1960s"

To try and call him out I ask about a couple of issues and among a dozen or so he mentions a FF48. So its the real deal. Original owner, hasn't been cherry picked and he wants to sell them all.

But he has hunting season coming up and he has to go to China, he'll call back when he gets back. Hmmmm.

4 years of me calling him ever 3 or 4 months seeing if he can meet. Never a good time. Odds now seem close to zero.

I have another collection turn up that happens to be 20 miles away from the first guy. This one is a bunch of late 1970s and 1980s batman. He's already sold his Xmen and Spiderman - yippie. Anyway, I call the first guy and sure enough he can meet but call when I get close. Awesome.

Finish the deal on the Batmans (for $100) and call the first guy. Answering machine. Twice now. I mean what's it take - and I probably wouldn't have driven the 2 hours just for $100 in copper Batmans. Hey he answers. And here it is. Wasn't cheap but there are some great books. Mostly low grade stuff, typical OO wear and tear but I'll take it - who wouldn't.

Picsff105.jpg

Picsff106.jpg

Picsff107.jpg

Avengers 1 is about G/VG, FF5 and 6 about the same. ASM 14 fair. TOS 41 42 are less than VG.

There were about 50 coverless and various loose covers. Took me a bit of time but I was able to marry basically all the loose covers, about 25. Instant G or less but a lot of these were older books. ASM annual 2. Strange Tales 111, Xmen 11, Avengers 14 off the top of my head. Kind of neat to do that.

Of the typical mid 1960s keys there is no MSH 13, Avengers 55 57, Iron Man 1, Fury 13,

There was an Avengers 16 28 54, Xmen 9-28 35, Spiderman 14 15 16 19 23 28 31 33-64 with a few missing like 39. Again most books are G to VG