• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JSA

5 posts in this topic

This won the best comic series three years running in CBG. So I picked up the whole set(!). Is it really that good? I noticed that Johns is writing it now. I think he's my favorite writer and so far I know he writes Flash and Teen Titans as well. Anything else? (that's a lot of books in one month)

The modern JSA series has been consistantly good since it's debut in 1999, playing off the strengths of the multi-generational superhero dynasties that makes the DCU such a rich and interesting universe.

At first written by Starman's James Robinson and screen writer David Goyer, Goyer was joined by Geoff Johns when Robinson left. Johns eventually took over the full writing chores on the book when Goyer left to take over Sam Hamm's duties as uber-super-hero screenwriter and now director.

Thankfully, DC has chosen to make JSA one of the titles they include in their tradepaperback program. So far there have been five volumes released to date:

JSA: Justice Be Done

JSA: Darkness Falls

JSA: Return of Hawkman

JSA: Fair Play

JSA: Stealing Thunder

A sixth volume: JSA: Savage Times is set to be released sometime this fall and should take us up to issue 50 (currently the title is at issue 64, out this week)..

All are excellent.I recommend you start with volume 1 as this sets the tone for the series. Volume 2 and 3 are quite good.

There is also the companion mini JSA: All Stars which deals with the current team focusing in on a specific member in a modern era tale with a backup set in the golden age starring the original character. There is a tp of this as well.

And there is also JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice original graphic novel by Geoff Johns and Carlos Pacheco.

JSA: Strange Adventures is a flashback story starring an incarnation of the original team.

Other JSA flashback stories have been collected in trade format, including:

The Justice Society Returns!

JSA: The Liberty Files is a WW2 era Elseworlds story.