• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a good reason to crack a slab?

94 posts in this topic

All objects are "things,"...

True, but the relative values placed on those "things" varies from person to person - you cannot define something based on your perspective alone.

True, but the relative values placed on those "things" varies from person to person - you cannot define something based on your perspective alone.

I agree, that was the point I was making as well.

To better enjoy the beauty of the preservation of the book and the art of the medium.

Conversely, it can be argued that the only major reason to slab a comic is to sell it.

Your first point is difficult to accept. Slabbing or more specifically un-slabbing a comic does not specifically meet this need. It is just an expensive way to potentially obtain your goal.

This isn't correct. We crack comics out so we can see and hold them without the plastic shields getting in the way. Like they came to market in the first place.

To better enjoy the beauty of the preservation of the book and the art of the medium.

Conversely, it can be argued that the only major reason to slab a comic is to sell it.

Your first point is difficult to accept. Slabbing or more specifically un-slabbing a comic does not specifically meet this need. It is just an expensive way to potentially obtain your goal.

This isn't correct. We crack comics out so we can see and hold them without the plastic shield getting in the way.

I didn't see your earlier post.

Great minds think alike I suppose.

lol

You second point is completely valid, hard to argue otherwise. Only point may be better long-term safety and preservation.

Can't agree with your logic. Some books are so rare that a 'reading' copy is the only one available and cracking it makes great sense.

Conversely, the only real reason to keep a comic slabbed is to sell it.

I disagree with that statement.

- I like the protection the slab provides. I don't have to worry when handing it to someone to look at.

- For insurance reasons, it's easier to value.

- Finally, to agree with you, you never know if you may have to sell a book in the future.

I agree, that was the point I was making as well.

It seems that you're looking at things primarily from a financial viewpoint, and with that understanding, then some of your points do make sense. Otherwise, frankly I'm having trouble following your logic.

For many of us, the entertainment value of the hobby outweighs other considerations. Once that concept is grasped, then the picture of why we enjoy collecting the way that we do should come into clearer focus.

Interesting thread and discussion, enjoying it a lot.

Actually this point is the most profound reason for cracking a book. :sumo:

I would argue that there is a difference in kind rather than in degree when reading an old comic that is close to its newsstand state ... only a time machine will better the experience.

You want my opinion, which is the opinion of an italian collector to which this slabbing thing still remains something alien?

A comic book is not – primarily – an inanimate object. It is the same as a book, a magazine, it is an intellectual, or more precisely, a spiritual artifact with cultural implications. Putting it in a slab, to me, serves the only purpose to have a professional grading service. Which is a great thing, but also makes sense for books of a certain value.

What’s this concept of having it slabbed for "better protection"? Protection from what? If you read the technical specifics of Mylar (and related) plastics, you’ll see that this is enough good for a few lifetimes. ;)

Recently I bought a full run of an italian title I collect. It was the run for the year 1945. The issues were all folded, still with their subscription wrappers, and very likely they had stayed that way since 1945. Usually that year run goes for about $800 or more. I paid about $250 for mine, and the kid which owned them used to wrote in pencil the arrival date of single issues. He was in Rome, and he got one on April, 25, 1945.

It was one of the nicest surprises I have had in collecting comics so far. :)

Conversely, the only real reason to keep a comic slabbed is to sell it.

I disagree with that statement.

- I like the protection the slab provides. I don't have to worry when handing it to someone to look at.

- For insurance reasons, it's easier to value.

- Finally, to agree with you, you never know if you may have to sell a book in the future.

Good points, although I suspect it depends on what "kind" of a collector you are.

I don't hand my books to people to look at (as I think is true for a fair number of collectors), so the protection issue is moot.

For insurance, it might be more helpful for claim purposes, but not for valuing the book, as long as you can grade. Even for claims, scans and photos and purchase documentation should suffice.

To handle, read and enjoy the book.

Besides, I like the way a comic presents in a mylar better than slab.

Plus I like to introduce more conservation methods (e.g., extra microchamber paper, and a Life Extender Plus sheet in the centerfold).

Works for me.

Not sold, there are plenty of reader copies available in most comics. Why buy a graded comic if your purpose is to read a book? All you have done is waste money in this instance.

some folks want a low grade reader with no resto, thus they crack the slab to read and smell the pages. And honestly, plenty of books get sent in when owners think they have a "9.4" ASM 44 and it comes back 7.5 because they are novice graders---no reason a 7.5 ASM 44 should be sent in for grading anyway unless they are label collectors and arent comfortable handling books raw. No reason to crack a four-six figure book. Although, I know folks who crack 4 fig books and it gets buried in their collection.

I've accidentally dropped a few and they have cracked. So I broke them out completely rather than having to look at those fugly broken shards.

Good points, although I suspect it depends on what "kind" of a collector you are

I agree, the type of collector you are can greatly determine whether or not you like to keep your comics in slabs (given personal pricing cliffs, duration to find a replacement, current market dynamics and availability of a reader copy).

What I don't understand (or been given a good reason) is when someone with a multitude of other options (say Silver Keys in the 4 digit value range with many raw copies available for reading and collecting) decides to crack a slab. Then on top of it, use the "I hate CGC entombed comics" argument as a reason to "liberate" them and complain about the "system."

Obvious exemptions would be for restoration, re-subbing and signing.

Then on top of it, use the "I hate CGC entombed comics" argument as a reason to "liberate" them and complain about the "system."

You've mentioned this several times Rob, and I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Collectors will crack books for any number of reasons that fall under personal preference, and not because they are on some sort of anti-CGC zealous crusade.

I believe you're misinterpreting motives and semantics - can you provide specific examples which caused you to draw this conclusion?