• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2005

365 posts in this topic

yay.gif

Where are my books?!?

893frustrated.gif

what books ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the prescreens

Probably soaking up water in the storeroom in Sarasota. poke2.gif

Im more important so I ask..

Did CGC Locate the two I sent for expedited delivery back in April!

Where are my books?!?

Ares, why don't you actually TALK to Doug instead of this? He's at the store today.

I'm sure that your books can be found either at CGC or at the store. You know that turnaround times are tough these days.

I talked to Paul at CGC just the other day, and once again, they were spared from the hurricanes so there's not any chance of hurricane damage.

Ares, why don't you actually TALK to Doug instead of this? He's at the store today.

I'm sure that your books can be found either at CGC or at the store. You know that turnaround times are tough these days.

I talked to Paul at CGC just the other day, and once again, they were spared from the hurricanes so there's not any chance of hurricane damage.

Im teasing...

Doug has been looking for them...Situation beeing resolved!

I just wanted to add my Jokingly where are my books thread.

Doug and Pete have been great through this headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Top Cow has officially announced that they will be at the show in June. Aside from Francis Manapul and Dale Keown, look for the presence of additional Top Cow superstars... look for announcements closer to the show dates.

http://www.comicbookconventions.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1549

What do you fellows think about the possibility of having on-site grading in Toronto at the PCTC '05?

Would you use the service if it was available at our next show?

This doesn't mean it's going to happen, nor does it mean it's even in the works. I just want to get some sense of whether there is sufficient interest from the fans/collectors in the area.

You guys know the existing prices for on-site, right? (modern US$22, economy US$45, standard US$75, express US$125 + walkthru % of fmv). Those prices would have to be converted into Canadian dollars based on the exchange rate next spring. Would you consider that cost prohibitive or irrelevant considering you wouldn't have to (a) wait, (b) pay for shipping and © worry about Canada Customs?

What if you had to pay taxes on top of those prices at the show? The government may require collection of the GST or even PST since it's a service being conducted within the province.

I'd definitely be up for it. thumbsup2.gif However, you have to be realistic about the amount of people that would use it. Advertising for your show would have to be more extreme than in the past in order to generate the buzz to make on site grading worthwhile. We may love these boards, but there is a huge slice of the comic collecting world that is still not familiar with CGC or their services. I hope they decide to do your show. cloud9.gif

Turns out taxes may not be an issue at all. Thanks Alex and mitol, I figured you guys would be all for it. Any thoughts from people I don't talk with on a regular basis? Beyonder? Justiceleaguer? Ares?

Hi Kevin,

I would definitely be in favor of on-site grading as well. I kept meaning to ask if that was even a possibility at the show as I thought that would be an attraction for a certain segment of collectors that might not otherwise attend the show.

Drew

Turns out taxes may not be an issue at all. Thanks Alex and mitol, I figured you guys would be all for it. Any thoughts from people I don't talk with on a regular basis? Beyonder? Justiceleaguer? Ares?

If its onsite I have a whack of books I want to Grade!

What would be even better is if we could drop off the books at the store early so CGC would have then there first thing!

Of would that defeat the purpouse!

No it wouldn't defeat the purpose at all, but would be very helpful. When we queried our dealers many of the brick and mortar comic stores have suggested that they would be willing to do this for their customers if the option is made available. That way we would be assured to be meet our minimum requirements faster. I'm sure Peter would send out an alert to all of his customers to get their books in well before the show start.

Thanks for your input guys, I would certainly be interested to hear any more comments/suggesions on this subject. Nothing is certain yet though.

Thanks,

Kevin Boyd

Organizer,

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon

Kevin@torontocomicon.com

CGC Forum Members - Here's a preview of our guest list for 2005.

Some big names are in the works that I can't announce yet, but I will update you as soon as I have 100% confirmation.

Here's the list as of 12/29/04:

KAARE ANDREWS

Artist: Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Year One (Marvel Comics)

JOEY CAVALIERI

Editor, DC Comics

JIM CHEUNG

Artist, Young Avengers (Marvel Comics), Cover artist, Fantastic Four: Foes (Marvel Comics)

JIM CRAIG

Classic Marvel Artist

TOM FOWLER

Artist, Green Arrow (DC Comics)

ADI GRANOV

Artist, Iron Man (Marvel Comics)

PHIL JIMENEZ

Writer/Artist, Otherworld (Vertigo/DC Comics), Artist, DC Countdown (DC Comics) and countless other series for DC, DC/Vertigo and Marvel.

FRANCIS MANAPUL

Artist, Witchblade, Vampirella/Magdalena (Top Cow)

NICK MARINKOVICH & NICK POSTIC

Artists/Illustrators, Underworld (IDW)

JIM MCLAUCHLIN

Editor-in-Chief, Top Cow

B. CLAY MOORE

Writer, Hawaiian , The Expatriate, Battle Hymn (Image Comics)

RAMON K. PEREZ

Inker, The Incredibles (Dark Horse), Writer/Artist, Butternut Squash (Webcomic)

DAVE ROSS

Artist, Breakdown (Devil's Due), classic Marvel and DC artist.

STUART SAYGER

Writer/Artist: Shiver in the Dark (self-published)

ALVIN SCHWARTZ

Writer, Golden Age & Early Silver Age Comics (1939-1958) including Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Slam Bradley, Vigilante, Date with Judy, Buzzy, House of Mystery, Tomahawk, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Newsboy Legion (DC Comics) and Captain Marvel (Fawcett). Mr. Schwartz also wrote most of the Batman and Superman newspaper strips published between 1944 and 1952. Mr. Schwartz is the creator of Bizarro, and had his last Bizarro story published in 2001's Bizarro Comics GN.

DAVE SIM

Writer/Artist/Creator/Publisher, Cerebus the Aardvark (Aardvark-Vanaheim)

There's a possibility that Gerhard might be able to attend as well.

TY TEMPLETON

Artist, Spider-Man/Human Torch (Marvel Comics), Writer, Simpsons Comics (Bongo)

J. TORRES

Writer, Teen Titans Go!, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (DC Comics), Cannon Busters (UDON/Devil's Due), Love as a Foreign Language (ONI Press)

WITH

Attila Adorjany

Kalman Andrasofsky

J. Bone

Ron Boyd

Nick Craine

Rich Dannys

Willow Dawson

Ron Kasman

Eric Kim

Shane Kirshenblatt

Andy Lee

Ken Lillie-Paetz

Tyrone McCarthy & Kilrush

Matthew Mohammed

Alex Perkins

Andrew Szewczuk

Craig Taillefer

James Waley

Rob Walton

Sarrah Young

MORE TO COME!

shuster.gif

WITH PERMISSION FROM THE ESTATE OF JOE SHUSTER, THE PARADISE COMICS TORONTO COMICON 2005 IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THAT IT WILL BE THE SITE OF THE 1ST ANNUAL SHUSTER AWARDS, HONOURING THE CANADIAN COMIC BOOK COMMUNITY - PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE.

THE SHUSTERS WILL CONSIST OF 10 CATEGORIES - 8 FOR COMICS PUBLISHED IN 2004, 1 FOR EXCELLENCE IN RETAILING IN 2004, AND INDUCTEES TO THE HALL OF FAME.

HALL OF FAME WINNERS WILL BE DECIDED ON BY A PANEL OF RENOWNED CANADIAN COMIC BOOK HISTORIANS.

ALL OTHER CATEGORIES WILL BE SELECTED BY A NOMINATING COMMITTEE OF SELECTED INDIVIDUALS FROM ACROSS CANADA (BIOS WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE WHEN THE NOMINEES ARE ANNOUNCED). NOMINEES MUST HAVE HAD A CREATIVE WORK PUBLISHED IN 2004.

EACH CATEGORY WILL HAVE UP TO 5 NOMINEES (WITH AN OPTION FOR A WRITE-IN CANDIDATE). ON FEBRUARY 1ST 2005 VOTING WILL BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC - ONLINE AND BY MAIL-IN BALLOT. VOTING WILL ONLY BE OPEN TO VOTERS WITH CANADIAN ADDRESSES. ONLY ONE COMPLETED BALLOT WILL BE ALLOWED PER PERSON.

VOTING WILL CLOSE ON MARCH 31ST, AND THE WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT A PUBLIC CEREMONY ON SATURDAY APRIL 30TH AT THE PARADISE COMICS TORONTO COMICON 2005.

THE AWARD CATEGORIES

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT

In recognition for a specific achievement --- could be for excellence in a series (limited or ongoing);

graphic novel or a milestone event or notable act by a Canadian creator in 2004.

OUTSTANDING SINGLE ISSUE OR STORY

In recognition for a specific single issue or storyline by a Canadian creator

and/or creative team in 2004 (specify project title).

OUTSTANDING WRITER

In recognition of writing excellence by a Canadian creator in 2004.

OUTSTANDING WRITER / ARTIST (or WRITER / ARTIST TEAM)

In recognition of artistic excellence by a Canadian creator and/or creative team in 2004.

OUTSTANDING PENCILLER

In recognition of penciling excellence by a Canadian creator in 2004.

OUTSTANDING INKER

In recognition of inking excellence by a Canadian creator in 2004.

OUTSTANDING COMIC BOOK PUBLISHER

In recognition for excellence in comic book publishing by a Canadian company in 2004

OUTSTANDING INDEPENDENT PRESS COMIC PUBLICATION

In recognition for excellence in independent press comic book publication by a Canadian creator in 2004.

THE HARRY KREMER MEMORIAL OUTSTANDING RETAILER AWARD

In recognition for excellence in comic book retailing by a Canadian store in 2004.

HALL OF FAME

Recognizing the great Canadian individuals in this field who have broken ground,

shaped and influenced generations of Canadian Comic Book Creators.

shuster1.jpg

JOE SHUSTER

Joseph Shuster was born in 1914 in Toronto, Canada. When he was nine, his family moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where Shuster met young Jerry Siegel. The two became fast friends and collaborators; together, they published some of the earliest science-fiction fan magazines, where Shuster honed his fledgling art skills. He also provided cartoons for their high school newspaper, The Glenville Torch. In 1936, he and Siegel began providing DC Comics with such new features as Dr. Occult, Slam Bradley, and Radio Squad before selling Superman to DC in 1938.

Influenced by comic-strip greats such as Wash Tubbs' Roy Crane, Joe Shuster drew Superman through 1947, after which he left comic books to create the comic strip Funnyman, again with Siegel. Unfortunately, failing eyesight cut short his career, but not before his place in the history of American pop culture was assured. Shuster died of heart failure on July 30, 1992.

Joe Shuster's final interview: http://members.tripod.com/~davidschutz/superman3.html

Biographical material researched and written by Mark Waid and Joe Desris with Richard Morrissey. Originally published in Superman Archives Volume 4.