• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2005

365 posts in this topic

Peter and I would like to thank everyone who supported the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon in the vote for best International (Non-US) Comic Book Convention over at www.comicbookconventions.com.

www.comicbookconventions.com/conventionawards/index.htm

On Friday, Peter and I were presented with a certificate and poster at MegaCon by Brian Pate, who runs the site which is the best online resource for information on Comic Book Conventions out there. This is the second year in a row that we have won this award and we will continue to work hard to make sure that this year's convention is an even more enjoyable convention experience.

Kev

Peter and I would like to thank everyone who supported the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon in the vote for best International (Non-US) Comic Book Convention over at www.comicbookconventions.com.

www.comicbookconventions.com/conventionawards/index.htm

On Friday, Peter and I were presented with a certificate and poster at MegaCon by Brian Pate, who runs the site which is the best online resource for information on Comic Book Conventions out there. This is the second year in a row that we have won this award and we will continue to work hard to make sure that this year's convention is an even more enjoyable convention experience.

Kev

Congrats!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Congrats guysmoredealershope you keep getting bigger and bettermoredealersrock on paradisemore dealers. devil.gifpoke2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I think there is a message in that post but I dont see it...

I just hope there are more dealers for you guys

Just got home from Sarasota a few minutes ago.

You want more new dealers? Your wish is our command. Look for some announcements shortly.... Bob's already announced that High Grade Comics is coming and we're very excited that Mr. Storms will be at our show this year.

How about guests? I should have some MAJOR guest announcements to make as well....

Not in 2005. Regrettably, after much discussion over the past few months we came to the agreement/conclusion that it's too late to effectively promote and advertise on-site grading this year. There is a good chance of having it in 2006.

However, CGC will still be at the show accepting submissions.

The Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon is currently the only Canadian comic book convention that they attend. Bring your submissions down to the show and save on courier fees (CGC ships the books back to Florida - there will still be a charge to send them back to you once they are graded) and avoid potential customs delays.

Look for a strong emphasis on the prestigious Signature Series label at the PCTC '05.

What a guest list you have! WOW! Sorry to hear about CGC not coming for onsite grading. Out of curosity, is it cheaper to get books graded at the show, paradise comic store, or by mailing them in directly? Im happy you took others and my advice and got more dealers. Im really looking forward to this show. How many autographs are allowed per guest? Is Jerry Robinson the batman guest u were talking about? any chance for steve ditko, frank miller or neal adams?

Also, im a little confused why there are 2 Toronto comicons coming up. What is the scoop with that and does anyone one know how big the april 24 show actually is? Also, what is the May 1 event listed on the hobbystar website on their upcoming appearances page.

Steve

Hi Steve, let me answer your questions as best as I can...

What a guest list you have! WOW! Sorry to hear about CGC not coming for onsite grading. Out of curosity, is it cheaper to get books graded at the show, paradise comic store, or by mailing them in directly? Im happy you took others and my advice and got more dealers. Im really looking forward to this show.

It is actually going to be a little cheaper for you to submit them directly to CGC at the show. They have some convention specials going on right now for some of the other tiers - however, Moderns are still $16 whether you submit them through a dealer or directly to CGC at the show.

Where you save by submitting directly to CGC at the show is that they will take the books back to Florida for you, so you don't have to pay a courier to get them to them. You will still have to pay to have them sent back.

How many autographs are allowed per guest?

There aren't any imposed limits per guest, however the guest has the right to set their own limits. We ask that if you have a lot and the line-up is huge that you be considerate to everyone else waiting and get your books signed in small batches. The benefit of our show is that the guests are generally there for the duration of the event so there should be times when the lines are smaller on Friday and Sunday.

Is Jerry Robinson the batman guest u were talking about? any chance for steve ditko, frank miller or neal adams?

Jerry's our big Batman guest. We were talking to Neal Adams but unfortunately he can't make it this year. Steve Ditko never does shows, so he's unlikely. Frank Miller... that would be awesome if he could come, wouldn't it?

Also, im a little confused why there are 2 Toronto comicons coming up. What is the scoop with that and does anyone one know how big the april 24 show actually is? Also, what is the May 1 event listed on the hobbystar website on their upcoming appearances page.

No comment.

The May 1st "special appearance" may be JMS's promised Toronto signing.

1st Annual CANADIAN COMIC BOOK CREATOR AWARDS: THE SHUSTERS - Nominees Announced!

Canadians can vote by mail-in or online ballot starting in March.

TORONTO (March 7, 2005): The nominees have been announced for Canada's new national award recognizing outstanding achievement in the creation of comic books: the SHUSTER, named after pioneering Toronto-born artist Joe Shuster who, along with writer Jerry Siegel, created the iconic super-powered hero, Superman.

Canadians can vote for their favourite Comic Book writer, artist, cartoonist (writer/artist), publisher and/or achievement starting Wednesday, March 2nd. Nominees were selected by the Shuster Awards Nominating Committee, which consisted of five individuals from across Canada. Results will be announced and awards will be presented at a special ceremony starting at 4:30 PM on April 30, 2005, at the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon, which will be held at the National Trade Centre, Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. Plans call for future ceremonies to be held at other major comic conventions across Canada.

From coast to coast, Canada is home to many of the comic book industry's top talents. The SHUSTERs are a way of recognizing and celebrating the achievements of Canadian creators - past, present and future.

Voting Available by Mail-In Ballot - Ballots will arrive on Wednesday, March 9, 2005 at all Canadian Comic Book shops with a Diamond Account or by online vote at www.torontocomicon.com

Deadline for submitting a vote is Saturday, April 9, 2005.

Voters will be asked to provide their name and address for verification purposes only. Only one vote is allowed per person. Canadians who reside outside of Canada may vote by sending in their votes by e-mail to shusterawards@yahoo.com

The SHUSTER Awards - Nominees for the 2004 awards include:

Outstanding Canadian Achievement

 Chester Brown, Louis Riel, A Comic Strip Biography HC, for bringing attention to Canadian history and raising awareness of the cultural significance of the graphic novel.

 Suley Fattah, cancer survivor, whose Drawing the Line Comic Book Anthology, has, raised over $10,000 for cancer research in Ontario to date.

 Little Sister’s Book Store in Vancouver, B.C. - battling censorship by Canada Customs, who have prevented the importation of adult comic books.

 Dave Sim and Gerhard, for completing Cerebus’ 300-issue run, the longest running creator-owned-and-published comic book in North America.

 Word on the Street Festivals (Vancouver, Calgary, Kitchener, Toronto, Halifax) for raising awareness of comic books and graphic novels in their event programming in many of the cities that participate in the fall street festival.

Outstanding Canadian Comic Book Writer

 Sara ‘Samm’ Barnes, Doctor Spectrum (Marvel / MAX)

 Ian Boothby, Simpsons Comics (Bongo)

 Darwyn Cooke, “Date Night” from Solo #1: Tim Sale (DC Comics)

 Ty Templeton, Batman Adventures (DC Comics)

 J. Torres, Love As A Foreign Language (Oni Press)

 J. Torres, Teen Titans Go! (DC Comics)

Outstanding Canadian Comic Book Artist

 Kaare Andrews, Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Year One (Marvel)

 David Finch, Avengers/New Avengers (Marvel)

 Pia Guerra, Y - The Last Man (DC/Vertigo)

 Tom Grummett, Teen Titans (DC Comics)

 Stuart Immonen, Superman: Secret Identity (DC Comics)

 Cary Nord, Conan (Dark Horse)

Outstanding Canadian Comic Book Cartoonist

 Darwyn Cooke, DC: The New Frontier (DC Comics)

 Kagan McLeod, Infinite Kung Fu (Great Lakes Ninja Brotherhood)

 Bryan Lee O’Malley, Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life (Oni Press)

 Seth, Palookaville (Drawn & Quarterly)

 Dave Sim, Cerebus (Aardvark-Vanaheim)

Outstanding Canadian Comic Book Publisher

 Aardvark-Vanaheim - Cerebus

 Arcana Studio – Ant, Kade, Ezra, 100 Girls and more!

 Drawn & Quarterly – Palooka-Ville, Dogs and Water, Babel and more!

 Dreamwave – Transformers titles, Devil May Cry

 I BOX Publishing – Thieves and Kings

Contact information

THE CANADIAN COMIC BOOK CREATOR AWARDS / THE SHUSTERS:

James Waley, chief coordinator: jnw_pique@hotmail.com

Kevin Boyd, associate coordinator: kevin@torontocomicon.com

More information also can be found at www.torontocomicon.com, which is the current location of the SHUSTER Awards website.

Hello Everyone, 1st off I must apologize for the confusion about Toronto Comicon's in April. Trust me when I say we will try and make it clear to everyone which one is which.

2nd, as for your question of size about the April 24 show. I can honestly say I do not know one dealer that has said they are going to attend. As you can imagine as a dealer I am talking with others quite often.

Hopefully this will help answer your questions.

Thanks

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

paradisecomics@wiznet.ca

Thanks for the clarification. How big is the April 30-May1 show?

Still amazed at the guests:) Holy smokes! Can u guys get David Finch too, so that I can get my run on the New Avengers signed by both David and Brian?

Does anyone know how the CGC works for multiple signatures on the same book?

Steve

PS: Oh ya, does anyone know or can confirm if JMS is what the other May 1st event is?

The show hall is 55,000 square feet, with adjoining rooms for panels, etc. The hall is divided into 2 Main sections with a total of seven sub-sections:

SECTION A - the North End

1. The Main Foyer where the ticket booths are situated (and pro registration).

2. The Dealer Room

3. The Snack Bar (and eating area)

SECTION B - the South End

4. The Corporate Section

5. Artists Alley

6. Guest Signing Area

7. ACTOR Silent Auction Area

Adjacent to the Corporate Section is the Main Panel Room which we are thinking of naming the "SHOP TALK" PANEL ROOM in honour of Will Eisner.

So the room is pretty evenly divided between dealers and guests/artists alley.

We'll be posting the list of participating dealers a little closer to the event dates. I have not posted the entire Artists Alley list yet.

--------

David Finch told our representative in Seattle that he was interested, we are just waiting to confirm his appearance.

I will have more guest announcements very soon. I don't announce guests until I get definite note from them. But I think I may have up to six major creator guests (all artists) to announce over the next three weeks.

----

Multiple signatures must be witnessed at the same show. If the two (or more) creators are side by side it's easy to do, but if they aren't it requires either giving your book to an authorized rep to get it signed or getting a witness to accompany you from creator to creator.

----

The only people that can confirm that May 1 signing right now are the gents from the other show, and they are keeping it quiet for the time being.

Multiple signatures seem to be a pain in the [#@$%!!!] to get CGC'd. Are u guys planning to make it any easier at your show?

That is good news about David Finch and the maybe 6 more guests. That is going to be better than a WW lineup. How many dealers r going to be at your show? R u guys gonna have big aisles so that we dont have to fight others to move around like the august show?

I emailed the other company about how big there show was on apr 24 and what the May 1st event is, and I never got a response back. That would be awesome if JMS was coming.

Sorry for all the questions

Steve

We're working with CGC to make the process as painless as possible, but I agree it's difficult, but the difficulties are all part of making it as consistant and authentic as possible.

I don't know the tally of dealers for this year as they keep track of that at the store, but last June we had something like 40 different dealers and I know we are already well past that number.

Yes, we will definitely have wide aisles again.

It is awesome if he is coming to Toronto, but I think it's downright fishy.

Well Kevin, I agree with you, it is fishy. I think they are trying to look out for their best interests, which is technically a compliment to you. They must feel intimidated and threatened by your show, that they need to go to these extremes.

If I was in their position, i would probably do the same thing, I think. I dont know much about business, but isnt this the tactics that stores like Walmart imploy?

This is great for me the fan. I get the best of both worlds. I get to see Adam Kubert, Chris Claremont, Warren Ellis, Bendis, Jerry Robinson all in one week, not to forget Alvin Swartz.

Why do you think it may be the JMS signing on May 1?

Steve

PS: more questions

1. Any new dealers that the Toronto shows dont usually see?

2. any hints on those 6 guests? or at least the books they work on? blush.gif

Multiple signatures seem to be a pain in the [#@$%!!!] to get CGC'd. Are u guys planning to make it any easier at your show?

From past experience, multiple signatures work best if they are done the same day. But I know that Peter or one of the reps there, will do their best to get your book(s) signed by multiple guests. I deal with him a lot and he goes that extra step for his customers.

Alex

JMS announced about a month ago that he was coming to Toronto and would be appearing at a comic-related event. I have no idea whatsoever either way.

1. Yes! Definitely new dealers from all across the spectrum of comics, toys and movies.

2. Hmmm.... you'll see.