• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A NI MAL

4 posts in this topic

Because DC has a fascination with gorillas...

Clocking in at number 5 on the big 'must not purge' list, the first appearance of the first of DC's characters to have 'The animal powers' - that's right Buddy Baker, making his first, pre-costume appearance is Strange Adventures issue 180.

This issue misses being a key issue in the go-go check collection by six months, which is a shame, as it is one of my favorite silver age DC issues.

Carmine did a wonderful job on the cover, even getting to put our hero in a plaid shirt (a browsing of Carmine's covers will show a serious liking for plaid).

This issue is reasonably available in grade, but not nearly as much as an issue of ASM or FF from the same month. Animal man wasn't very seriously sought after until his long running series from the late 80s early 90s. But this white-paged beauty is all mine.

For your entertainment I give you: Strange Adventures 180, CGC 9.2 white, issue date September 1965.

Happy Hunting!

Lee K

13795.jpg

See more journals by Lee K

A most AWESOME set!

This year alone I've bought and read the Grant Morrison TPB's collecting his groundbreaking run. Very poignant at times... thought provoking... and profound. They seldom write comics like that.

Jeff Lemire's recent take is also very good, expanding on the Avatar of the Red's role in the whole scheme of things.

So I'm jealous for what you have! They are not easy to find.

How about we duel and the winner walks away with your set and the loser... meets a bitter z

and bloody end!

SW3D

Nice books! I am also a big Animal Man fan. I got turned on to him in the late 80s and happen to run across his first appearance at a comic show in Minneapolis. It also turned out to be a 9.2 with White pages (finally got it graded last year).

You are right. It seems that DC comics are much harder to come by in high grade compared to Marvels of the 60s.

Mike

138453.jpg.69eca8a024d4f8523f4e5839d9c6cd88.jpg