• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did CGC broaden their perspective when it comes to trimming???

59 posts in this topic

Trimming isn't considered restoration by CGC, but rather damage.

If no restorative processes have been applied to the book, a purple Restored label is not appropriate.

This label could be correct.

If that is correct Nick, should it not be Green given the defect

If no restorative processes have been applied to the book, a purple Restored label is not appropriate.

Not necessarily, no more so than any other form of damage, like a corner bend.

And even if CGC did view it as one singular defect and therefore appropriate for a green label, the submitter might have gotten a choice and went for the Universal.

Not necessarily, no more so than any other form of damage, like a corner bend.

And even if CGC did view it as one singular defect and therefore appropriate for a green label, the submitter might have gotten a choice and went for the Universal.

I don't think a purple label is appropriate either but I think it is the default label that CGC chose to use for trimmed books.

I think someone just mistakenly grabbed the wrong colour label when this was printed.

As far as quality control goes, and this is directed to whomever mentioned QC, they grade about 150K-200K books a year. I'm sure mistakes are going to happen.

I think someone just mistakenly grabbed the wrong colour label when this was printed.

If that was the case then the verification look up wouldn't show "universal" - probably just a fat finger error with a check box during data entry.

CGC puts trimmed books in purple label slabs - this is a simple QC mistake.

Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration.

:hi: FT Not sure where you heard that Cover Trim is not counted as restoration. From the CGC FAQs

"What is restoration?

Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration."

So they are saying this should have been PLODed. Unless Cover Trim is different from regular trim. But from their terms it does not seem to be.

I'm sure you called them first to ask Wally before starting another negative thread all about yourself.

If that was the case then the verification look up wouldn't show "universal" - probably just a fat finger error with a check box during data entry.

(thumbs u

Label colour (yes, colour) must be printed after check box.

Easy fix would be to flag the system if there is a resto note checked at the same time as Universal.

:hi: FT Not sure where you heard that Cover Trim is not counted as restoration. From the CGC FAQs

"What is restoration?

Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration."

So they are saying this should have been PLODed. Unless Cover Trim is different from regular trim. But from their terms it does not seem to be.

Yeah, looks like trimmed books should be in Purple. (thumbs u

But CGC don't consider it restoration.

Although they haven't got anywhere else to put them, so PLOD it is.

"What is restoration?

Yeah, looks like trimmed books should be in Purple. (thumbs u

But CGC don't consider it restoration.

Although they haven't got anywhere else to put them, so PLOD it is.

Where does it say that CGC doesn't consider trimming to be restoration?

We are starting to see exactly what we feared the last few weeks. With CGC falling way behind on grading we all thought that they'd scramble to get caught up and quality would be an issue.

All this is really a shame. I know hiccups are expected, but this is getting out of hand. I wonder how many issues we aren't hearing about.

Where is the competition? Somebody needs to swoop in and give CGC a run for the money. Competition is only healthy.

(thumbs u

Label colour (yes, colour) must be printed after check box.

Easy fix would be to flag the system if there is a resto note checked at the same time as Universal.

The categoury selected/shown in verification (universal, qualified etc..) determines label colour or moure likely "print job" that the label creation queues to.

(:

"What is restoration?

Sure sounds like trimming is restoration to me.....according to their policy anyway.

"What is restoration?

Sure sounds like trimming is restoration to me.....according to their policy anyway.

From the quote above, CGC does not consider trimming restoration. The first two sentences indicates what is considered restoration. The third enumerates some processes that are not restoration. The fourth treats trimming as a special case.

They do, however, feel that trimming warrants an apparent grade, and have decided to give it the PLOD. In my mind, they could have gone with the less vilified GLOD, so there could be an implication that trimming is a bit worse than, say, a clipped coupon.

We are starting to see exactly what we feared the last few weeks. With CGC falling way behind on grading we all thought that they'd scramble to get caught up and quality would be an issue.

All this is really a shame. I know hiccups are expected, but this is getting out of hand. I wonder how many issues we aren't hearing about.

Where is the competition? Somebody needs to swoop in and give CGC a run for the money. Competition is only healthy.

+1