• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOONEYTHON 16 - DISCOUNTS ON PAGE 47 - SUDDEN DEATH POLL PAGE 48

563 posts in this topic

Sorry Claudio... pretty sure that was the only Gemstone digest I had :sorry:

I need to remember to check for a MMA #11, before I forget.

It is a mega-key issue, for those who know better, as it publishes for the first time in the USA, after almost 50 years, Atomino Bip-Bip – a character created in full atomic age by italian Disney comics legend Romano Scarpa – which is very important in Italy (I have the original 1950s appearance, of course)! :)

rs-1959.jpg

That's very cool, Claudio. I need to read up on Scarpa and get a little more educated about him and the art scene there.

I love the Italian horror movie posters myself. Love the artwork and the re-imagining of the US one sheets. Seems like you Italians know what's scary over there lol

TERRORS OF THE JUNGLE - TOO MANY PROBLEMS TO GRADE - $10

PRO's...

A great jungle LB Cole cover and a classic GA GGA cover to boot. Presents well in mylar too.

CON's...

Extra staples, tiny piece of tape over LB's name on front cover, old tape that has fell off spine on back cover causing staining as seen in scan, chunk out bottom staple back cover, "A 6/3" written in ink top back cover and I count only 15 pages inside, smells like a purple, paper anus plus I caught my dog reading it in his bathroom.

That said... its only $10 ;)

img148_zps28609681.jpg

img149_zpsad59a009.jpg

WHITE RIDER # 6 - ACCEPTED PUBLICATIONS - VF-/VF GLOSSY - $40

Darn nice book here. Some color loss at top of spine, upper back cover non breaking corner there, and back cover edge stain spot there that goes to the last page of book. The stain might bring it down a bit... but overall eye appeal here screams "STOP... STOP...I'm a human be...." ... umm VF-VF. :)

Did I mention glossy? Well I will ;)

img146_zps2b7b05d4.jpg

img147_zps0530bcbd.jpg

HEART THROBS # 119 - FN/VF - $5

Tad bit of chipping at the DC logo and cover stress at the dudes left elbow.

I'm going to go out on limb here and state that Tod's a Cod to his sweet lady friend there. Love his breadbox radio there too, dig?

SOLD TO JOP

img145_zps7995cc3b.jpg

That's very cool, Claudio. I need to read up on Scarpa and get a little more educated about him and the art scene there.

I love the Italian horror movie posters myself. Love the artwork and the re-imagining of the US one sheets. Seems like you Italians know what's scary over there lol

I will always regret when I was ashamed to ask Scarpa a drawing or a sketch, as I interviewed him in 1991. When I interviewed him he had a beautiful Scrooge drawing he just did for an american fan which wrote him.

Being published in the US by Gladstone has been one of the most rewarding things ever for him, as he always strived for his Disney stories to be faithful to their roots. He even used to sign some strips "Walt Disney" in the 1950s.

Right now my interview has been reprinted in a book which came out on the occasion of the 3000th issue of our leading Disney magazine, "Topolino". Re-listening to the interview and re-editing it I saw how I miss him… :(

If you want to read some of the Scarpa or italian material presented in the US, a must is surely "Uncle Scrooge and the Lentils from Babylon" – one of the most touching, and deep, Scrooge stories ever written. Presented in Uncle Scrooge Adventures #30-31-32. See here: http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL++250-AP

I will always regret when I was ashamed to ask Scarpa a drawing or a sketch, as I interviewed him in 1991. When I interviewed him he had a beautiful Scrooge drawing he just did for an american fan which wrote him.

Being published in the US by Gladstone has been one of the most rewarding things ever for him, as he always strived for his Disney stories to be faithful to their roots. He even used to sign some strips "Walt Disney" in the 1950s.

Right now my interview has been reprinted in a book which came out on the occasion of the 3000th issue of our leading Disney magazine, "Topolino". Re-listening to the interview and re-editing it I saw how I miss him… :(

If you want to read some of the Scarpa or italian material presented in the US, a must is surely "Uncle Scrooge and the Lentils from Babylon" – one of the most touching, and deep, Scrooge stories ever written. Presented in Uncle Scrooge Adventures #30-31-32. See here: http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL++250-AP

I'm going to have to learn Italian over the summer aren't I? hm:grin:

WEIRD WAR TALES # 64 - NM MINUS GLOSSY

WEIRD WAR TALES # 68 - VF+++/NM MINUS MINUS

EARLY DC FRANK MILLER ART with skulls that show Frank had no idea how to draw a FOUR FOOT BONE or skull either lol

Buy # 64 for $35

Buy # 68 for $20.... or BUY BOTH FOR $45 !

img136_zps138de9ac.jpg

img137_zps0a920937.jpg

I'm going to have to learn Italian over the summer aren't I? hm:grin:

Well, there is a decent number of stories now, published in english in the US books. Just a drop in the sea of our productions, which spans from the late 1930s up to date, but many important Scarpa stories are there, and can be found at good prices.

A story which has never been published, among the others, and which SHOULD be, is "Topolino Imperatore della Calidornia" (Mickey Mouse Emperor of Calidornia), where Scarpa delivers one of the most vibrant Mickey Mouse stories ever, as the Mouse is bound to inherit the whole state of (the Disney topographic equivalent) California. This story is such a classic that is considered among Scarpa’s artistic peaks, but most of all it’s possibly his most "american" story ever. And it also features Atomino Bip-Bip, the character I told you before:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL++274-AP

it_gcd_215b_001.jpg

This illustration, in a perfect world, would have been the cover of a US edition:

comic-art-capolavori-disney-18-le-grandi-storie-di-romano-scarpa-1960-61-10010000180.jpg

but by then Gladstone gave back to Disney the comic books helm… :(

One of the earliest Scarpa classics published there has been "Kali's Nail", in Mickey Mouse #254-255. Scarpa drew specific covers for Gladston on the early ones:

GLADSTONE_MickeyMouse_254.jpg

If anyone has noticed... on some I didn't close the scanner and used a piece of cardboard (or as POV calls it, hillbilly toilet paper lol ) to better show the books instead of my white scanner lid.

If anyone noticed... lol

I actually may have this one Claudio... I'm going digging for it hm

One of the earliest Scarpa classics published there has been "Kali's Nail", in Mickey Mouse #254-255. Scarpa drew specific covers for Gladston on the early ones:

GLADSTONE_MickeyMouse_254.jpg

I actually may have this one Claudio... I'm going digging for it hm

(thumbs u #254 is just part 1 of the story, however, you’d need the double sized #255 to read the whole story.

(Topolino has always been a thick squarebound magazine, so stories had to be split in comic books).

TWILIGHT ZONE # 92 - NM GLOSSY LAST ISSUE - $20

I'm a dumb bunny and left these Twilight Zones in their bags thus causing that classy waviness seen there. Rest assured this is a nice darn book and that isn't a corner blunt at the bottom... but there is a slight one at the top.

img135_zps88e585a3.jpg

TWILIGHT ZONE # 86 - VF - $8

Ok this book would be a NM minus as well... but what I'm considering would be a production flaw has occurred. The upper right 1/16 - 1/8 inch corners of the majority of the interior pages have a tear. I'm assuming it was a mechanical printing issue. And remember those streaks in the middle of the cover aren't where I dropped mayo covered bread... but the bag I left on the book.

If you like cats... then this one is for you lol

img133_zpsfc3f6b31.jpg