• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

jim5a.jpg

FRIGHT is the lead story, a 7-page story very nicely done by Russ Heath. ZOMBIE is a 6-pager by Tony DiPreta, and it's...DiPreta. CONDEMNED (5 pgs.) is signed CH, and presumed to be Carl Hubbel, INNOCENT BYSTANDER is 5 pages by Briefer.

If the cover and lead story won't do it for you, it probably won't get done.

Edited by AtlasT

this came in a few days ago. I love how Karloff's Mummy is one of the heads on the pole.

1321675152_5cbd9e505f_o.jpg

That is very cool. Reference or influence I wonder? hm

looks too close, so I would say reference, but then this is pre famous monsters, so it's not like images of karloff's face are readily available....so maybe influence (shrug)

this came in a few days ago. I love how Karloff's Mummy is one of the heads on the pole.

1321675152_5cbd9e505f_o.jpg

That is very cool. Reference or influence I wonder? hm

looks too close, so I would say reference, but then this is pre famous monsters, so it's not like images of karloff's face are readily available....so maybe influence (shrug)

That's a good question. What would be a good ref. source before fan magazines?

Movie posters, lobby cards, old newspaper ads... (shrug)

I have seen novelizations of frankenstein, dracula & others that had a movie based photo cover from the 40's, newspaper ads of revival showings, I guess that would be the main source. Lobby cards would havebeen out there, but who had access to them when a movie wasn't playing? (shrug)

RIGHT is the lead story, a 7-page story very nicely done by Russ Heath. ZOMBIE is a 6-pager by Tony DiPreta, and it's...DiPreta. CONDEMNED (5 pgs.) is signed CH, and presumed to be Carl Hubbel, INNOCENT BYSTANDER is 5 pages by Briefer.

If the cover and lead story won't do it for you, it probably won't get done.

Thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like a great issue all-around. I really don't expect an Atlas comic to have every story be readable -- but a Heath and a Briefer should be very enjoyable.

The Pre-CODE horror comics published by STANDARD, I feel, are very under-rated.

Adventures into Darkness, The UNSEEN, WHO is NEXT ?, Out of the Shadows... Copies that you see are almost never above VG.

I suppose the fact that many were printed with lots of black on the cover didn't help.

I had a nice copy of Adventures into Darkness no. 6 and parted with it thinking I could replace it one day. That was at least five years ago and I've never seen another decent copy.

I'm quoting myself here.

Anyhow, I mentioned how tough some of the STANDARD published pre-code is and a week later someone posted a HIGH GRADE copy on ebay.

That issue of WHO IS NEXT ? sold for a very respectable $461.00. Easily the sharpest copy of this one-shot I've seen.

who1a.jpg

The Pre-CODE horror comics published by STANDARD, I feel, are very under-rated.

Adventures into Darkness, The UNSEEN, WHO is NEXT ?, Out of the Shadows... Copies that you see are almost never above VG.

I suppose the fact that many were printed with lots of black on the cover didn't help.

I had a nice copy of Adventures into Darkness no. 6 and parted with it thinking I could replace it one day. That was at least five years ago and I've never seen another decent copy.

I'm quoting myself here.

Anyhow, I mentioned how tough some of the STANDARD published pre-code is and a week later someone posted a HIGH GRADE copy on ebay.

That issue of WHO IS NEXT ? sold for a very respectable $461.00. Easily the sharpest copy of this one-shot I've seen.

who1a.jpg

:o Damn, how did I miss that one? Beautiful copy :applause:

Angelo

:o(worship) Man, that's a gorgeous copy,Jay. Congrats!

Thanks Angelo, I'm happy with this copy as I missed out on a Big Apple copy a couple of years back. This one looks nicer and has no tan pages as some BA copies suffer from.

Still hard for me to tell as the covers are so different. (shrug) I'm betting you're right though.

Oh and btw, that's another book I've wanted for a verry long time now too. :cloud9:

One just sold on ebay. Looked like a nice copy.

I know! I think I'm destined never to get that book because every time I let up the search, one slips past me! :pullhair: That is the 3rd copy to do so! :frustrated:

Different Harry. I'd say it's Harry Anderson; compare:

I'd be almost certain it's Anderson as well. Nice cover, btw, AtlasT!