• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,257 posts in this topic

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the pre-code (otherguys).

They contained quite many a shining gem of art and stories but EC had a CONSISTANCY of goodness that was never matched.

2900301900_fa1ce9c935.jpg

Cheetah - which auction was this? Those are AMAZING.

Man, the quality of the EC art was so far beyond their competitors'.

(Hope I'm not stepping on any toes.)

This was supposed to be a question about the art. I think Cole created some spectacular covers and some of the interiors were by Palais, Baker and Disbrow which were equal to the EC artists. Inconsistant stories and art and poor reprints brought down the quality of Star. But the covers by Cole are more than a match for anything done by EC artists. Feldstein is a favorite of mine and I have to give credit to him for originality.

Edited by BB-Gun

Some nice ECs from yesterday's auction.

VOH39.jpg

I think Star Publications were of equal quality if not better.

2868604402_67a9310acb_z.jpg

The STAR covers were better indeed due to L.B. Cole but the insides were a mash up of reprints of crime,mystery, jungle. horror. Some good stuff in there but not as well crafted or organized as the EC stuff. Just my opinion. :)

You're being kind to the Star interiors! ;) But, the Cole covers are amazing!

Edited by *paull*

5507545008_f26006239e_z.jpg

This was supposed to be a question about the art. I think Cole created some spectacular covers and some of the interiors were by Palais, Baker and Disbrow which were equal to the EC artists. Inconsistant stories and art and poor reprints brought down the quality of Star. But the covers by Cole are more than a match for anything done by EC artists. Feldstein is a favorite of mine and I have to give credit to him for originality.

I think Cole must have redrawn this Baker splash panel from Star's All-Famous Police.

5507573728_3f7a48a2ea_z.jpg

And some nice work by Wood on Dr. Jekyll

Nice lab scene!

From Startling Terror Tales?

Jack

Yes, that is the interior of Startling Terror Tales 10. It is also a reprint of the Dr. Jekyll story published by Fox.

5507573728_3f7a48a2ea_z.jpg

And some nice work by Wood on Dr. Jekyll

Nice lab scene!

From Startling Terror Tales?

Jack

Yes, that is the interior of Startling Terror Tales 10. It is also a reprint of the Dr. Jekyll story published by Fox.

Thanks. Wonderfully frenetic.

JPS

Holy embarrassment of riches! But I'll still go for the ECs if I'm forced to choose. They could have put out a lot of covers (they didn't) and they'd still win for Crime SuspenStories 22. :)

Beautiful LB Coles! :headbang:

It's hard to be at his or Bailey's level when it comes to pre-code horror covers but a number of the EC gang could do that on occasion as could Bill Everett.

BlueBoltWeird115.jpg

I really love this Everett cover! :cloud9:

The detail in the gypsy's face and hands, the man's shocked expression, but the skeletal trio breaking through the crystal ball just pushes it over the top for me! :applause:

MysteryTales14-1.jpg

Sale's style art was perfectly suited for horror. (thumbs u

UT20.jpg