• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

You did well Paull! (To pick up a BCM #50 at the price you liked.)

I spoke to Al about iconic covers, the BCM #50 in particular, at the last Chicago wizard world. I'm sure he'll say the same to anyone who asks, that they're not going to get a "steal" on ebay for any decent copy of Black Cat Mystery #50 - he'll be there to bid on it. Not to be taken the wrong way, typing can be different than hearing someone speak - he just really likes the book and is willing to pay up to get examples, as he said he hasn't had any problem moving them. So, never a surprise to see him as high bidder for a copy.

As an aside, I got several nice precodes from Al - all around nice guy to speak with, knocked a little off the sticker for me, and a really vast selection of nice material.

I can see some logic in his method - if you know you can always make at least a $50-$100 profit selling the book at a show, why not pay close to FMV. Also a Black Cat #50 on display at your booth will draw pre-code collectors to look over the rest of your books, so it works as advertising as well.

I like Al a lot and buy from him, too. I agree with the advertising aspect. Al has talked about having more iconic pre-code books on his wall... that could be part of the reason.

The reason I wouldn't shoot for a $50 profit on a book bought of of eBay is because of possible color touch, tape, glue, tears, staple pulls, etc. Doesn't take much to make that $400 book a $200 book.

Somebody must've wanted it badly. Incidentally, one of those "181 vintage comics" auctions at better than 3,000 so far, seemed to have a nice-looking Weird Mysteries #4 and a nice-appearing Voodoo annual in it. Of course, the "grading" is in 3 categories: "poor", "OK" and "new". A gamble to be sure...

sold for an average of $30 a book - seems kind of steep with alot of books listed as "poor", and alot of books likely to sell for less than $30 even if they are in GD or thereabouts. Interesting that the seller is unfamiliar with grading terminology, but knows to put the WM#4, the Voodoo Annual and the Flash #93 at the top of the stacks - the only 3 books visible in the photo. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I thought that was interesting, too, that the seller put the WM #4 and Voodoo Annual in the photos. Way too big of a risk with those "poor" books... they could have been completely trashed for all we know. I'm really looking for a WM #4, but I'll wait.

Maybe others will disagree, but I think this is too high a price to pay for a BCM #50 in what appears to be VG condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

I agree. Just too much. A classic cover, surely, but I confess that many classic covers are, to my eye, less classic than others that get pushed aside for the immediately obvious. (Was that too harsh?)

I use my favorite Mister Mystery (#13) as opposed to the classic cover #12 which is basically a huge eye being aimed at by a glowing hot stick. I think, artistically, the 13 has it all over the 12, save for pure shock value.

There! I said it!

Edited by povertyrow

Ditto here. Way too high. Especially considering that a NM copy went for roughly $1400 not too long ago.

I use my favorite Mister Mystery (#13) as opposed to the classic cover #12 which is basically a huge eye being aimed at by a glowing hot stick. I think, artistically, the 13 has it all over the 12, save for pure shock value.

Yeah...I see what you're saying here...BUT....the MM12 is a hugely iconic image for the genre. That's it's "value," as opposed to its artistic merit and such. It's come to be a source of definition for the genre/hobby, as opposed to other PCH covers (classic and non) that are drawn with more obvious artistic talent. To me, this argument is somewhat analogous to discounting the GA Batman logo because it didn't take a wizard to create it. I think, in terms of icons that define the genre for collectors, MM12 takes precedence over BCM 50. But I might just be demonstrating my personal bias here, (heck, I did just buy a VG MM12 this summer!).

I agree... I prefer MM12 over BCM50. My scorn of these high prices is due to the plentiful nature of BCM50. Demand is high, but so is supply. There have been 3 copies on eBay over the past couple of weeks. When is the last time you saw a VG or better Weird Mysteries 5 or MM12 on eBay?

I agree... I prefer MM12 over BCM50. My scorn of these high prices is due to the plentiful nature of BCM50. Demand is high, but so is supply. There have been 3 copies on eBay over the past couple of weeks. When is the last time you saw a VG or better Weird Mysteries 5 or MM12 on eBay?

Too true...those two just about never come up for sale in respectable shape.

Metro has had a Weird Mysteries 5 for at least a few months now in fine-ish condition (they list it as a 5.5)...though the price is formidable, I'm kinda surprised there have been no takers yet. Certainly WM5 can lay claim to a few hoarders.

If wasn't gunning for an all-star as my next "big book," I'd probably haggle for this one myself.

http://pages.metropoliscomics.com/365/PictPage/1922668770.html

Too true...those two just about never come up for sale in respectable shape.

Metro has had a Weird Mysteries 5 for at least a few months now in fine-ish condition (they list it as a 5.5)...though the price is formidable, I'm kinda surprised there have been no takers yet. Certainly WM5 can lay claim to a few hoarders.

If wasn't gunning for an all-star as my next "big book," I'd probably haggle for this one myself.

http://pages.metropoliscomics.com/365/PictPage/1922668770.html

Thanks, Pov. Would have done it myself but am kind of bashful. (Let's see how long this title lasts!) tongue.gif

Actually that price on the WM #5 doesn't seem too far off the mark.

I think it's about $100-125 too high. Not a terrible price, but not exactly a bargain either. Still, for the book in question, I can't fault Metro for the asking price.

Ditto here. Way too high. Especially considering that a NM copy went for roughly $1400 not too long ago.

Yeah...I see what you're saying here...BUT....the MM12 is a hugely iconic image for the genre. That's it's "value," as opposed to its artistic merit and such. It's come to be a source of definition for the genre/hobby, as opposed to other PCH covers (classic and non) that are drawn with more obvious artistic talent. To me, this argument is somewhat analogous to discounting the GA Batman logo because it didn't take a wizard to create it. I think, in terms of icons that define the genre for collectors, MM12 takes precedence over BCM 50. But I might just be demonstrating my personal bias here, (heck, I did just buy a VG MM12 this summer!).

I hear what you are saying, SH, and you make a good point. I guess, especially because I have been collecting precode horror for so long (before I sold the collection dang dagnabbit dammitall all to heck) that I am a bit more - how to put it? Calloused? Senses dulled? Jaded? Whatever. I do appreciate the shock value of MM 12 but to me, 13 and 11 are just better covers and that is what I be looking for nowadays. So at least for MM, I am safe from having to spend too much. My MM 13 was a CGC 5 Fine- and am overall very happy with it.

Unfortunately, I DO have a desire for a few other definitive covers that WILL be costing me. but Eerie 1 1947, Voodoo Annual, Secret Diary of Eerie and Cap 75 will all have to be obtained first! (Unless there is an insano good price).

:::typo edit::

Edited by povertyrow

I agree with Pov's take sort of - to me the best cover of MM #11-13 is #11, followed closely by #12, then #13. I have my examples of #11 and 12 - don't have a #13 - yet!

Just recently a nice MM #6 sold on ebay in F- for better than 300 - pretty nice appearing copy that I remember from a few years before. Overall it doesn't seem like too many copies of #6 are extant - naturally, I don't yet have one. But in time, I expect to have a full run of MM. smile.gif

I was just looking through a gallery of all the MM covers and the more I look at them, the more I realize that I need to buy most of them. I consider #6 and #14 to be underrated covers. I also really like #10. #18 is a great image... too bad it's not full bleed. I can't stand when title logos are separated from the image.

(convenient link to MM covers at comics.org...)

http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=849

I hear what you are saying, SH, and you make a good point. I guess, especially because I have been collecting precode horror for so long (before I sold the collection dang dagnabbit dammitall all to heck) that I am a bit more - how to put it? Calloused? Senses dulled? Jaded? Whatever. I do appreciate the shock value of MM 12 but to me, 13 and 11 are just better covers and that is what I be looking for nowadays. So at least for MM, I am safe from having to spend too much. My MM 13 was a CGC 5 Fine- and am overall very happy with it.

Unfortunately, I DO have a desire for a few other definitive covers that WILL be costing me. but Eerie 1 1947, Voodoo Annual, Secret Diary of Eerie and Cap 75 will all have to be obtained first! (Unless there is an insano good price).

:::typo edit::

Did you see the two Eerie one-shots that Heritage sold recently? Were you in on the bidding?

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=818&Lot_No=2340&src=pr

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=818&Lot_No=2339&src=pr

There are some clunker covers in the MM run.... #5, #8 and #9 in particular. The #17 image would be SO much better if Mr. Mystery wasn't on the cover with that silly word balloon.

Oh paull, yer killin' me! I like the cover to #8 - posted it recently in the precode thread. Still, I can agree that 5 and 9 aren't such great covers. But between 8 and 14, 8 is my preference. Different strokes, of course!

I do agree that 10, 11 and 12 are all great covers, and #18 too. I would prefer an interwoven title and art on most covers, but I don't hold it against the book if that's not the case. In Tales from the Crypt, they finally got around to this with issues #44 and 45, both of which I highly recommend for the great stories inside.

Edit - just took a look at the gallery - they don't have a #15 up - which is a decent Bailey monster cover. Can't blame them for leaving off #19 though - talk about going out with a whimper, that is the lamest cover in the run by far.

As to #6 being underrated, I don't think it is - it's as tough as #12 to turn up (it seems) and the F- that ended on ebay recently got better than $300. Gonna get one at some point.

Edited by originalisbest