• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

I got outbid on a VGF copy recently, the high bid being $250. So $180 for a decent VG seems reasonable...

$250 doesn't sound too bad... I was surprised that this book, with the cgc resto check and all, (I mean, this is not ewert-style territory, right?) did not climb a little higher.

Killer ditko cover on that sucker. hail.gif I've yet to check the cgc census and gpa, but I shudder to think at what a VF or better copy would go for.

I got outbid on a VGF copy recently, the high bid being $250. So $180 for a decent VG seems reasonable...

$250 doesn't sound too bad... I was surprised that this book, with the cgc resto check and all, (I mean, this is not ewert-style territory, right?) did not climb a little higher.

Killer ditko cover on that sucker. hail.gif I've yet to check the cgc census and gpa, but I shudder to think at what a VF or better copy would go for.

Annoyingly the only data on GPA about SSS 19 is the transaction on the 3.5 copy that you just bought. frown.gif

Nice job shrunkenhead! I spied that one but didn't bid, just didn't think to. I've bought from that seller before, never any problems.

Once you've read it, let us know how it is - in the Tales too Terrible to Tell books, George Suarez noted that the stories in that book weren't great/didn't have anything to do with the cover - let us know what you find.

Here's a recent purchase of mine... a VF copy of Voodoo #5. As I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of the work of the Iger studio and Voodoo doesn't disappoint. I love these full-bleed covers.

1007925-img220.jpg

1007925-img220.jpg.4f104806a9c801b1edde03cf1e6a798c.jpg

Edited by paull

Paul, that Voodoo is neat! Haven't seen that cover before. thumbsup2.gif

Already posted in the Undead Thread but as they are recent purchases...

Just some recent pick-ups I thought I'd share!

More of a bright cover than one would expect for a horror comic but I love the creatures!

And of course the Paul Lynde looking host (as Pov would say) "The Mummy!"

1007461-Beware%21TerrorTales%231.jpg

This is a real colorful cover if you look close enough!

Lots of purples and greens in the mans face, (soon to be all red!) 893whatthe.gif

1007463-TombofTerror%2312.jpg

Thanks, guys...

Agreed on the BTT #1... that's a tough cover to find with the white portions intact. I'm still hoping to add one to my collection someday. Nice copy!

acclaim.gif to me - See I looked at BTT and told myself. Wow from the cover "dress" this looks like a Fawcett but I doubted it because I didn't remember Fawcett having many horror books or not any with "out there" covers. So I just checked OSPG and sure enough it is a Fawcett! Yeah for me. [End of monolog]

But there is something still puzzling about the entry in OSPG. The listing states -

EC art swipe / Haunt of Fear # 5 and Vault of Horror # 26

Here are the respective covers -

coverview.lasso?id=8668&zoom=4

coverview.lasso?id=223241&zoom=4

So I have to assume the art swipes are from the interior stories? Any idea Paull which stories correspond to that? Ghosts Hounds of Trelawney, The Nameless Horror or Custodian of the Dead?

Also, in the GCD, the text piece in this book - Horror on the Hill - is listed with writing credits by John Martin ... which happens to be the name on the graveyard on the cover! Who said editors didn't earn their keep?

But there is something still puzzling about the entry in OSPG. The listing states -

EC art swipe / Haunt of Fear # 5 and Vault of Horror # 26

Here are the respective covers -

coverview.lasso?id=8668&zoom=4

coverview.lasso?id=223241&zoom=4

So I have to assume the art swipes are from the interior stories? Any idea Paull which stories correspond to that? Ghosts Hounds of Trelawney, The Nameless Horror or Custodian of the Dead?

Also, in the GCD, the text piece in this book - Horror on the Hill - is listed with writing credits by John Martin ... which happens to be the name on the graveyard on the cover! Who said editors didn't earn their keep?

http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/784/400/784_4_05.jpg

http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/12404/400/12404_4_026.jpg

I love the cover of Vault 26. cloud9.gif It's on my precode shortlist.

acclaim.gif to me - See I looked at BTT and told myself. Wow from the cover "dress" this looks like a Fawcett but I doubted it because I didn't remember Fawcett having many horror books or not any with "out there" covers. So I just checked OSPG and sure enough it is a Fawcett! Yeah for me. [End of monolog]

Right, just the 10-cent symbol alone screams Fawcett. Like a lot of other publishers Fawcett didn't put its name on certain books. Fawcett shied away from "claiming" its horror books and I believe at one point Harvey did the same thing. Is it the same with DC and its romance books early on?

Marc

I'm pretty sure the DC label is fairly explicit on most of their horror output, which would make sense given that their stuff was so much tamer than the work of their competitors. I mean, it's really not in the same category at all, so much of the DC pre-code is almost post-code in its refusal to delve into the deeply taboo stuff.

I seem to remember the DC logo being prominent on the early House of Mystery books. Can anybody confirm?

And I admit I dunno jack about romance comics, much to my chagrin. blush.gif

Get yourself one Norinn - I have a copy and agree, it's a keeper! Great Davis story inside that's the basis for the cover.

I might just do that..... if I can find a mid-grade copy. I thought EC's were fairly ubiquitious. I've looked through all of the dealers in our handy-dandy GA Dealer thread and only found two decent (F/VF) copies for sale. And they are a little pricey.

How often do Vault of Horror #26s come up for sale on eBay/Comiclink/Heritage? And how close to guide price do they usually sell for?

109.jpg

I'm pretty sure the DC label is fairly explicit on most of their horror output, which would make sense given that their stuff was so much tamer than the work of their competitors. I mean, it's really not in the same category at all, so much of the DC pre-code is almost post-code in its refusal to delve into the deeply taboo stuff.

I'm sure that's the reason. Here's our copy of HOM #2 that sold. Obviously a DC.

But the DC Romance books are a different story. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why?

GA619.gif