• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

My latest Atlas book - I have recently been adding to my paltry collection after ignoring it for a couple of years.

The acid green background caught my eye on ebay, but I'm a fan of the more humorous pre-code horror covers. Is this by Harry Harrison? The interior includes art by the underrated Pete Tumlinson and some nicely detailed work signed S. Moskowitz.

jiuw28.jpg

Though I've had the Gerber guides for over a decade, and have been collecting pre-code horror for as long, I only recently realized that the Gerber doesn't include many pre-code horror covers, mainly later issues in longer runs. Journey into Unknown Worlds #21-#33 are among the books with no cover images. Does anybody know what else is missing. I love finding

out there are a number of pre-code covers I've yet to discover.

Nice cover, and one I've not seen before. Journey Into Unknown Worlds is often overlooked amongst the Atlas PCH line (although it was a very extended line) as it's mainly associated with sci-fi.

Surely a master list of PCH covers not featured in Gerber is a must - even better would be a site containing all the covers...

Nice cover, and one I've not seen before. Journey Into Unknown Worlds is often overlooked amongst the Atlas PCH line (although it was a very extended line) as it's mainly associated with sci-fi.

Surely a master list of PCH covers not featured in Gerber is a must - even better would be a site containing all the covers...

Nope. They're all pictured. Nothing to see here. Just move along. makepoint.gif

My latest Atlas book - I have recently been adding to my paltry collection after ignoring it for a couple of years.

The acid green background caught my eye on ebay, but I'm a fan of the more humorous pre-code horror covers. Is this by Harry Harrison? The interior includes art by the underrated Pete Tumlinson and some nicely detailed work signed S. Moskowitz.

jiuw28.jpg

Though I've had the Gerber guides for over a decade, and have been collecting pre-code horror for as long, I only recently realized that the Gerber doesn't include many pre-code horror covers, mainly later issues in longer runs. Journey into Unknown Worlds #21-#33 are among the books with no cover images. Does anybody know what else is missing. I love finding

out there are a number of pre-code covers I've yet to discover.

The cover artist looks like Harry Anderson. I too look forward to stories by Tumlinson so you're not alone. thumbsup2.gif

The indispensable reference for precode horror fans is Tales Too Terrible to Tell which lists all Titles/Issues. It would be a little bit of work but we could probably put the list of missing Gerber photos together if we worked as team comparing different titles against our Gerbers. I'm more of an idea guy (coming up with this has left me exhausted), so when you get it done, let me know. tongue.gif

Thanks Adam - that's who I meant - Harry Anderson - I did a mix-up with the sci-fi writer Harry Harrison tongue.gif

I find it odd that his work doesn't get much attention - he's up their with Everett, Maneely and Heath as an Atlas cover artist. Does he ever rate a mention in Overstreet?

Thanks Adam - that's who I meant - Harry Anderson - I did a mix-up with the sci-fi writer Harry Harrison tongue.gif

I find it odd that his work doesn't get much attention - he's up their with Everett, Maneely and Heath as an Atlas cover artist. Does he ever rate a mention in Overstreet?

He wasn't around for as long as those other guys -- Doc V would provide the best info -- but I'm thinking he was mostly drawing for Atlas around 1954, and I don't believe he signed much or any of his work.

Bizarre - the ebay seller who sold me the JIUW #28, has another copy up for sale (roughly the same condition), as well as second copies of a number of pre and post-code Atlas books

he has just sold. The story is they've all been in a storage shed for 50 years. The selection seems too random for hoarding or a small warehouse find - I wonder what the story is.

Great looking books Andy. That Chamber of Chills #19 is one of my favorite CoC covers. I have a beater copy that pales in comparison to your.

You know, when I first saw that one it didn't do anything for me. The more I looked at it though (on here and eBay) the more I liked it. Finally, after seeing someone on Miami Ink get a tatoo of the image, I knew I had to pick up a copy. The scan of the slab wasn't great (it's a VF+ that I just cracked), so I was just thrilled when it came today and I saw that it had just perfect colors and gloss.

Great looking books Andy. That Chamber of Chills #19 is one of my favorite CoC covers. I have a beater copy that pales in comparison to your.

You know, when I first saw that one it didn't do anything for me. The more I looked at it though (on here and eBay) the more I liked it. Finally, after seeing someone on Miami Ink get a tatoo of the image, I knew I had to pick up a copy. The scan of the slab wasn't great (it's a VF+ that I just cracked), so I was just thrilled when it came today and I saw that it had just perfect colors and gloss.

The sound of that case cracking open is music to my ears!

cloud9.gif

The sound of that case cracking open is music to my ears!

cloud9.gif

I ALWAYS crack em! They look nicer in mylar. cloud9.gif

October: Great books, especially the CoC (I hope you get tired of that one soon!) grin.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Scrooge: Gotta love those paper cutter covers! That Super-Mystery goes right on my want list! cloud9.gif

A recent purchase of my own, my first Menace!

1442494-Menace%239.jpg

589a8d182f71f_1442494-Menace9.jpg.445f72f64f5f5c8aa22f35acbf05f565.jpg