• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

Thanks, Pete! The last EC horror comic, and they went out with a bang.

Great books Larry! thx for sharing. EC are among my fav comics of all time.

I always wondered how many more years EC could have sustained the quality had the Code and Distributor blackball not put them out of biz. Imagine having to buy back issues to complete Tales from Crypt up to issue 230... :whee:

Thanks, Pete! The last EC horror comic, and they went out with a bang.

Great books Larry! thx for sharing. EC are among my fav comics of all time.

I always wondered how many more years EC could have sustained the quality had the Code and Distributor blackball not put them out of biz. Imagine having to buy back issues to complete Tales from Crypt up to issue 230... :whee:

Near the end, Gaines was hiring more writers, so he clearly thought he could continue for at least a few more years. Heck, Tales from the Crypt 46 was originally supposed to be a fourth horror title(Crypt of Terror). I would have loved to see them continue. Clearly the people who worked on the books loved them as much as the readers did.

The continuing publication of Atlas "horror" books with creepy covers ( mostly by Everett) that made up in mood what they lacked in graphic imagery indicates the genre would have lasted a few more years at least.

What could have happened, but unfortunately didn't, is EC horror continuing in a magazine format, as with happened with MAD. Not the failed Picto-Fiction experiment, but straight up comics. Given the success of Creepy and Eerie less than a decade later, I can imagine these titles lasting well into the 1980s, had they existed.

shocksuspenstories5.jpg

All fantastic books but I especially like this Wood cover... It's always been a favourite of mine. The lighting is great, but I've always wondered about the headlights and the fact that they are casting light in one direction but the shadows fall in the opposite direction. Moonlight?

shocksuspenstories5.jpg

All fantastic books but I especially like this Wood cover... It's always been a favourite of mine. The lighting is great, but I've always wondered about the headlights and the fact that they are casting light in one direction but the shadows fall in the opposite direction. Moonlight?

Maybe another car with brighter headlights?

Those are just unbelievable, Mr. Bedrock. 9.8's with white pages from 1951? They must have just come off the presses and went into the "file."

shocksuspenstories5.jpg

I think there are at least two cars providing light. One behind and one in front. Hence the light on their heads and shadows in opposite direction.

I can not watch this animation without getting dizzy. Anyone else have the same response?

2967642564_c2e756abf5_o.gif