• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,257 posts in this topic

I would like to see a list from some of the serious horror aficionados of the top 10 any order and then try to come up with an order. Has this been done?

They might arguably include

This Mag is Haunted #3

Worlds of Fear #2

Beware #10

Dark Mysteries #10

Venus #19

Men's Adventures #25

The only ones I would be confident of are the two Fawcetts.

There are between 1000 and 1200 precode horror books so picking 10 toughest, absent a much more complete census, is extremely difficult. What are most likely to be included are popular books that many want to own but can't find a copy of because existing owners are very happy and unwilling to sell. This results in the appearance, but not the actuality, of scarcity.

I would like to see a list from some of the serious horror aficionados of the top 10 any order and then try to come up with an order. Has this been done?

This Mag is Haunted #3

Worlds of Fear #2

Beware #10

Dark Mysteries #10

Venus #19

Men's Adventures #25

The only ones I would be confident of are the two Fawcetts.

There are between 1000 and 1200 precode horror books so picking 10 toughest, absent a much more complete census, is extremely difficult. What are most likely to be included are popular books that many want to own but can't find a copy of because existing owners are very happy and unwilling to sell. This results in the appearance, but not the actuality, of scarcity.

I agree.

Great books, circumstances (thumbs u

Since adamstrange and alanna turned me on to the extreme weirdness of the Superior Horror books I'm hooked.

This Mag is Haunted #3

Worlds of Fear #2

Beware #10

Dark Mysteries #10

Venus #19

Men's Adventures #25

Love the cover to MA 25.

4D42DF2B-DB48-4B22-B158-B3FA9FEB06A7-5394-000003F65B2F6E2E.jpg

Lovely copy! Is that yours?

137590.jpg.3f89db5423c48aff115f1dd1ac322685.jpg

That's a great cover... Looks very movie poster like.

Yes it does. It looks like it could have been used to advertise one of the Universal horrors of the forties. I've never seen it before, really cool book.

Great books, circumstances (thumbs u

Since adamstrange and alanna turned me on to the extreme weirdness of the Superior Horror books I'm hooked.

:cry:

:cry::cry:

This Mag is Haunted #3

Worlds of Fear #2

Beware #10

Dark Mysteries #10

Venus #19

Men's Adventures #25

Love the cover to MA 25.

4D42DF2B-DB48-4B22-B158-B3FA9FEB06A7-5394-000003F65B2F6E2E.jpg

Lovely copy! Is that yours?

:foryou:

Thanks. Yup this one's mine, by way of Jimbo... Your copy is very pretty as well.

Edited by Twistty1

So what are the 10 most sought after pre-code horror titles? I saw the partial list above. I'm planning on doing a project and thought I might use some of those as inspiration for this project.

Thanks for any input here.

So what are the 10 most sought after pre-code horror titles? I saw the partial list above. I'm planning on doing a project and thought I might use some of those as inspiration for this project.

Thanks for any input here.

Here are a few of the good titles:

Black Cat Mystery

Horrific

Mister Mystery

Weird Tales of the Future

Weird Chills

Weird Terror

Actually gojira, you're being too hard on your book. For a precode, that's a very respectable and solid appearance, with great cover colors. A more trashed book would be one with tape pulls, color loss and color breaking creases, pieces missing, large cover tears. Overall, there's nothing much wrong with your copy, and it would fit very nicely in my collection of precodes. :)

Actually gojira, you're being too hard on your book. For a precode, that's a very respectable and solid appearance, with great cover colors. A more trashed book would be one with tape pulls, color loss and color breaking creases, pieces missing, large cover tears. Overall, there's nothing much wrong with your copy, and it would fit very nicely in my collection of precodes. :)

..... you forgot significant color loss due to being stuck to other books in a damp treefort.... which was the only place they could be kept where The Mom wouldn't immediately toss them out.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u