• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

Picked this up at SD. Decent mid grade with nice paper. I have most issues from this title, and had this one a while back but sold it. Love to have a high grade, but even in middle grade it seems to be quite elusive. Super late run cover.

139596.jpg

Always one of my favorite Mister Mystery covers, and it's pretty underrated. Nice copy!

Picked this up at SD. Decent mid grade with nice paper. I have most issues from this title, and had this one a while back but sold it. Love to have a high grade, but even in middle grade it seems to be quite elusive. Super late run cover.

139596.jpg

Always one of my favorite Mister Mystery covers, and it's pretty underrated. Nice copy!

I always get a chuckle from looking at that cover. Every mummy keeps a role of tape for repairs but perhaps a little duck tape would be more appropriate.

The interior of those comics contain some choice panels that would give even Wertham bad dreams.

e.g.

9355902553_7564c2784d_c.jpg

139596.jpg

I always get a chuckle from looking at that cover. Every mummy keeps a role of tape for repairs but perhaps a little duck tape would be more appropriate.

The interior of those comics contain some choice panels that would give even Wertham bad dreams.

e.g.

And the moral of the story is...

Quite a grim tale, even for the genre.

Great cover! I bid on a different 9.4 (not a File Copy) on Heritage Sunday night. Where was this one listed?

Oh that's the one I was bidding on too, thought this was the same one at first glance. Wonder who won the HA one.

Yes, sorry I just saw what you meant...I was bidding on the HA one as well due to its beautiful page quality but once it got over 900 I realized someone wanted it much more than I did!
Yeah, it sold for a crazy price for being 1 of 4 in that grade, especially since it was barely a 9.4 and really has no chance of being "upgraded" via pressing. (I sympathize with the winning bidder, though; I freely admit that I'm an addict and have happily bid way over FMV on books I felt like I HAD to have.)

139596.jpg

e.g.

And the moral of the story is...

Quite a grim tale, even for the genre.

so...they ate the guy, then they all died?

Yeesh

Yes, sorry I just saw what you meant...I was bidding on the HA one as well due to its beautiful page quality but once it got over 900 I realized someone wanted it much more than I did!
Yeah, it sold for a crazy price for being 1 of 4 in that grade, especially since it was barely a 9.4 and really has no chance of being "upgraded" via pressing. (I sympathize with the winning bidder, though; I freely admit that I'm an addict and have happily bid way over FMV on books I felt like I HAD to have.)

Oh yeah...I was the psychopath who got in a bidding war on some of Nic Cage's Weird Mysteries a while back and spent WAAAAY too mcuh

Oh yeah...I was the psychopath who got in a bidding war on some of Nic Cage's Weird Mysteries a while back and spent WAAAAY too mcuh

There are worse things to overpay for! I've realized that as much as I scoff at buy-it-now prices, I usually end up getting a worse deal in auctions due to my lack of self control. So, the other day, I went ahead and picked up this one on CConnect at the BIN price. (It was a consignment item, so the chances of my actually getting it are probably 50/50.) It is a highest-graded copy, though.

139721.jpg.e52a460e717956cd412d95702317c65b.jpg

No way Gabe. WM are the cream of the crop. I remember being called crazy in the late 90s for paying double or triple Guide for WM 2,3,4,5,6. Don't think you paid too much at all!!

Nice books. The JIF looks familiar. I love the uncanny, one of my favorite pch covers. I love the eyes on the skull and the lighting on the shovel. Sounds weird but that's just what appeals to me on this one. (shrug)

Scored this at SDCC this past weekend - Superworld Ted had just obtained it in trade, and I snagged it before he could put it up on the wall:

a89339e0-069e-420e-8f09-61fa6d6963e3_zps914c9311.jpg

Sorry I missed you at SD. I was around Ted's table a bit; got some consignments from him. He's cool. Known him 25 years now.