• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,281 posts in this topic

WOF 2 is the better of the two Crowley copies and is the 8.0 on the census. It is the brightest/whitest 50s Crowley I have run into.

WOF 3 is the Spokane copy and I am completely smitten by that cover for reasons I am unable to explain.

But you once explained the printing process of these covers...didn't you say that something metallic was added into the inks?

There are small quantities of metal in these inks that, when printed, resulted in a special intensity to the color and a crystalline structure to the surface. Depending on the angle of the light source, you will get diffraction of the light off of some of the facets giving a special sheen to the appearance of the book. This was only done by Fawcett and, by them, for a very short period of time.

I've been looking for a 1950's issue of Phantom Stranger for about fifteen years. Thanks to Dale Roberts Comics and the SDCC I was able to pick up this little beauty yesterday. I'm always amazed that it seems almost impossible to find a copy of these books in more than a lower mid-grade. It's surprising with the wear that is always shown that the series didn't last longer. Anyway, one down; five to go! Thanks Dale!

139536.jpg.327c1fdcabf55e9ba14f8dfa2d54a4e4.jpg

And you can't see this in a CGC case... ARGGGG

For the most part, no.

The metals are also subject to oxidation which is accelerated by exposure to light so there can be a significant reduction in color if the books are not stored properly.

I've been looking for a 1950's issue of Phantom Stranger for about fifteen years. Thanks to Dale Roberts Comics and the SDCC I was able to pick up this little beauty yesterday. I'm always amazed that it seems almost impossible to find a copy of these books in more than a lower mid-grade. It's surprising with the wear that is always shown that the series didn't last longer. Anyway, one down; five to go! Thanks Dale!

Beautiful book, Frank. I think I saw the copy at Dale's booth. You really scored on that book. Congrats. Love the yellow cover. Great color strike and gloss. (Erik and I left the show on Saturday afternoon, went back to the hotel, packed and drove home).

Picked this up at SD. Decent mid grade with nice paper. I have most issues from this title, and had this one a while back but sold it. Love to have a high grade, but even in middle grade it seems to be quite elusive. Super late run cover.

139596.jpg.411952cf70086b8b6a05a67755f1e1dc.jpg