• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

Ah... Finally .......

reformschoolgirlfront_zpsea3d2407.jpg

Nice looking 1.0 - case is too blurry - what keeps the grade down.

reinforced pages ...

small Color touch

Brittle pages

:cloud9:

Thor is that the copy you bought in Calgary?

If so I was sure it was better than 1.0 when I had it in hand.

Ah... Finally .......

Nice looking 1.0 - case is too blurry - what keeps the grade down.

reinforced pages ...

small Color touch

Brittle pages

:cloud9:

Thor is that the copy you bought in Calgary?

If so I was sure it was better than 1.0 when I had it in hand.

Yea it was..

I was thinking a 1.5

but I guess the restoration brought it down

either way I am happy :)

Terrific cover! :applause:

I agree, some great covers in this run 95, 104, 105, 107, 110, 111, 113, 114, 119, 130 etc. but 121 is a real stand out for me I think because of composition and colors - looks like it belongs in the early portion of the Mystery Tales run.

My latest precode acquisitions and I am proud to share them with you guys:

BewareTerrorTales6_zps2c568b72.jpg

PlanetComics24front_zps0bf391bb.jpg

PlanetComics21front_zps0547a3ad.jpg

and....

BAM!

PlanetComics1front_zps7fcb6e31.jpg

..... that 21 is a toughie...... and the beginning of my favorite series of the run. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This is a pre-code horror thread :rulez:

Speaking of rules, this comic absolutely does!!! (worship)

My latest precode acquisitions and I am proud to share them with you guys:

BewareTerrorTales6_zps2c568b72.jpg

PlanetComics24front_zps0bf391bb.jpg

PlanetComics21front_zps0547a3ad.jpg

and....

BAM!

..... that 21 is a toughie...... and the beginning of my favorite series of the run. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks Jimbo! I am very fond of the 21 I found it had excellent color compared to the few other copies I had seen which is why I bought it.

Who was "Realistic," the publisher listed on Reform School Girl? Note that this was printed three years after the book. Did they print anything else?

I would have loved to've been in the meeting where somebody got up and said, "You know this book Reform School Girl? What a great comic book this would make." :facepalm:

Ah... Finally .......

Rare Canadian print and back

truecrime9frontcan_zpsa9ad63c3.jpg

Who was "Realistic," the publisher listed on Reform School Girl? Note that this was printed three years after the book. Did they print anything else?

I would have loved to've been in the meeting where somebody got up and said, "You know this book Reform School Girl? What a great comic book this would make." :facepalm:

Realistic Comic was an imprint of Avon Periodicals whose other unit Avon published the book also. However in a twist I didn't realize until now (until corrected), Avon didn't publish the novel under this second title, but the original title: House of Fury. Diversey released under the new title, not Avon. Can I get a correction on this? Did Avon also released it in ppb as Reform School Girl or only the comic unit?

From Legendary Auctions for the publishing details.

"In 1941, Doubleday, Doran & Company, Inc. would first publish Felice Swados' tale of a young girl's struggles in reform school. This original novel was published under the title House of Fury, and the original title is the only title that the author felt appropriate. That is why Avon continued to use it for their first paperback reprinting of the novel in 1950. Unfortunately for the author, not every publisher was as respectful as Avon. The novel's true first reprinting was in 1948, the product of a Chicago firm named the Diversey Corporation. To the author's regret, Diversey ramped and vamped up the novel quite a bit, starting with a retitling to Reform School Girl. But the title change was only the start. The eye-catching sleazy cover illustration of Canadian model and ice skating star Marty Collins in trampy attire completed the package. Diversey's sensationalized new digest-sized release was the first use of this image and title. It is a combination that is today considered as one of the most memorable and classic entries within its genre. Reform School Girl is also regarded as an esoteric classic in the comic book field, as Realistic Comics would go on in 1951 to use the same photo and title for one of their publications."