• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,270 posts in this topic

This is a pre-code horror thread :rulez:

Speaking of rules, this comic absolutely does!!! (worship)

PlanetComics1front_zps7fcb6e31.jpg

My apologies, I thought the Pre-code horror only thread was this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=759405#Post759405

I was making a pun on "rules" so don't take my comment too seriously.

This thread really should be about pre-code horror-ish type books as all GA is pre-code and therefore any GA book could be posted here. Other places for you to post the Planet would include the Sci-Fi and Fiction House threads.

This is a pre-code horror thread :rulez:

Speaking of rules, this comic absolutely does!!! (worship)

PlanetComics1front_zps7fcb6e31.jpg

My apologies, I thought the Pre-code horror only thread was this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=759405#Post759405

I was making a pun on "rules" so don't take my comment too seriously.

This thread really should be about pre-code horror-ish type books as all GA is pre-code and therefore any GA book could be posted here. Other places for you to post the Planet would include the Sci-Fi and Fiction House threads.

Ok,

just feel a little singled out considering all the rest of the stuff posted in this thread.

Is this the only known comic published by Realistic? I'm wondering why it wasn't published by Avon's comic division if they in fact owned it. Or why Avon didn't publish it under the more sensational title in their paperback version.

I've never actually seen the inside of this comic, so I was pleased to find this B&W version on the web:

http://seductionofdainnocent.blogspot.com/2012/01/reform-school-girl.html

From Legendary Auctions for the publishing details.

"In 1941, Doubleday, Doran & Company, Inc. would first publish Felice Swados' tale of a young girl's struggles in reform school. This original novel was published under the title House of Fury, and the original title is the only title that the author felt appropriate. That is why Avon continued to use it for their first paperback reprinting of the novel in 1950. Unfortunately for the author, not every publisher was as respectful as Avon. The novel's true first reprinting was in 1948, the product of a Chicago firm named the Diversey Corporation. To the author's regret, Diversey ramped and vamped up the novel quite a bit, starting with a retitling to Reform School Girl. But the title change was only the start. The eye-catching sleazy cover illustration of Canadian model and ice skating star Marty Collins in trampy attire completed the package. Diversey's sensationalized new digest-sized release was the first use of this image and title. It is a combination that is today considered as one of the most memorable and classic entries within its genre. Reform School Girl is also regarded as an esoteric classic in the comic book field, as Realistic Comics would go on in 1951 to use the same photo and title for one of their publications."

Realistic was brand of the publisher Avon and produced a small number of books.

http://www.comics.org/brand/176/

This is my pre-pre-code horror grail. I never actually found one worth grading. Michael and Richard picked this up in Texas and let me know it was available. It finishes off my Black Cat Comics run from 1-29. Black Cat Mystery starts with issue 30.

BlackCat29_zps5103cd6a.jpg

This is my pre-pre-code horror grail. I never actually found one worth grading. Michael and Richard picked this up in Texas and let me know it was available. It finishes off my Black Cat Comics run from 1-29. Black Cat Mystery starts with issue 30.

That's a cool horror/superhero hybrid! :applause:

It really is a nice transition cover to the horror portion of the title.

+1 I always get a kick out of that oddball sub-genre.

A guy in NC had a copy a few years back that was a 9.6, but CGC said 8.5 due to LT/OW pages that we had a consensus on as OW/W :insane:doh!

Yahoo! Mike deserves all of the credit.

I was just the wingman.

Realistic was brand of the publisher Avon and produced a small number of books.

http://www.comics.org/brand/176/

This book has a pretty odd publishing history.

Doubleday book "House of Fury" - 1941

Diversey digest with title change - 1948

Avon/Realistic comic adaptation of Diversey book - 1951

Avon paperback under original title and different cover than comic - 1952

My guess is that Avon acquired Diversey and their assets when they went out of business in 1950-51. After the comic book was published, the author contacted Avon and told them to cease publishing under this title. Avon then reluctantly brought out a new PB version with the original title and less sensational cover art, a reversal of their usual trend.

That's the only reason I can think of for Avon not using the same title/cover art for their 1952 version.

I was just the wingman.

This li'l kitty was a team effort.

I bought it.

You mailed it.

Jeff adopted it.

(I'm told it's quite common practice in certain quarters.)

I was just the wingman.

This li'l kitty was a team effort.

I bought it.

You mailed it.

Jeff adopted it.

(I'm told it's quite common practice in certain quarters.)

As un-chatty as I am, I am grateful that you guys will go to such effort to remember that I needed a book and buy it for me without my ever asking. You guys go well beyond anything one should ever expect!

Wow! Great cover and beautiful copy! Congrats!