• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
42 42

22,416 posts in this topic

A couple new purchases arrived today. Glad to have them in my collection!

Voodoo #9

Voodoo9-Front_zps54232cec.jpg

Horrific #6

Horrific6-Front_zps2f0493b2.jpg

Very nice!

You don't see that Voodoo every day and that's a "Heck" of a Horrific cover! :applause:

Thanks guys... It also seems as though the mania is mostly focused on the Everette books as well. Makes me wish I had picked up a few I remember seeing on sites a few years ago before this recent explosion in prices.

Metro was knee deep in them a couple of years ago.... it's amazing how many they've sold. Their JIM and ST inventory is almost wiped out....pre code, that is... There's a couple of big guns who love Atlas and when they have their sets finished there may e a slight correction..... but Atlas has several things going for it in regards to long term staying power... the stories are somewhat sophisticated, they're fairly scarce, and they're precursors to Marvel. Although Everett is my favorite.... the Maneely, Burgos, Brodsky, Anderson, and occasional Kweskin covers have some RADICAL top shelf examples.... and the dark, yet garishly colorful cover art looks SO good in grade. It's a recipe for growth.... if that's your thing. Personally.... I'm glad the fervor has yet to spill over into Atlas war. Pretty examples from that genre can still be had for less than a Franklin in most cases... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A good appraisal, Jim. Doesn't explain the sudden ramping of interest in the last year or so, but one can never second guess the market...

Don't find myself disagreeing with any of your opinions on these hot Atlas books, either! :) I guess Johnny and adamstrange might have more insights, as they know these books so well, but I will say I kick myself for not bidding stronger to get a decent JIM #6 a few years back now! Looks like it's coasting out of reach a bit. Still, very happy to have JIM #7 and 8, lower grades though they be.

Similar to the way CSS #22 has broken out, certain Atlas books recognized as "classics" have too, Strange Tales #28, 34, the JIM #6, that sort of thing. Not all Atlases have (SUSPENSE being a prime suspect in that regard) and that's cool with me -- nice to be able to afford a few still. :)

Adventures into Terror also is a title that (barring a super condition book) doesn't seem to take off into the stratosphere -- but since I haven't got many I should probably keep my trap shut!

Great books posted recently, everybody! :)

Horrific #6

Horrific6-Front_zps2f0493b2.jpg

:applause: That's a book I'd like to have in my collection. Never ran into a copy that fit.

Great book! :applause:

I was very happy that day I ran into one.

I don't understand why this auction is going crazy like this. Maybe I'm missing something and someone here can shed a little light on it for me. It is a great cover and does seem like a nice copy, but....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-6-CGC-6-5-Horror-Heath-Bill-Everett-Atlas-Golden-Age-Comic-/131092554468?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e85b9a2e4

Ended up going for $3300. Nice!

The detail of ST 9 is spectacular. Everett's work was simply awesome.

005_zpsf598428f.jpg

Very cool! Everett was the man! Another cover that I want a copy of someday is Men's Adventures #22. It's been posted here a few times and I'll find one eventually.

That makes two of us. (thumbs u I would love to get a hold of issues 21 and 22. Very tough to find.

I know Spellbound 9 is attributed to Everett.... but it sure looks a lot like Kweskin's work to me.... especially the zombie hand. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree, I think the JIM #6 Everett Cover blows away the cover on Strange Tales that sold for $2655. Both books do not have examples in 8.0 or better too. So the 6/7 range is pretty much the best you can find on this book.

Atlas horror in 6.0 or better has always been strong, IIRC Harley used to ask twice as much for a FN as he did a VG back in the nineties, and lately those gaps have gotten much wider, and when you have a book that isn't slabbed in high grade, it looks like bidders can drive the price into the stratosphere, where you have anything over 6.0 ( especially a nice looking one like the JIM) getting multiples over a VG that one would normally expect for a 9.2/9.4 copy.

Still the JIM 6 price was pretty impressive, but I think the price is an outlier more than a benchmark. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the underbidders aren't a bit relieved that they lost out.

Still the JIM 6 price was pretty impressive, but I think the price is an outlier more than a benchmark. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the underbidders aren't a bit relieved that they lost out.

I agree not a benchmark. I would be surprised if another 6.5 of either book sold for close to this amount.

I am waiting for a solid Menace 5 to be auctioned through Sparklecity...I shudder to think where that auction ends up.

I agree, I think the JIM #6 Everett Cover blows away the cover on Strange Tales that sold for $2655. Both books do not have examples in 8.0 or better too. So the 6/7 range is pretty much the best you can find on this book.

Atlas horror in 6.0 or better has always been strong, IIRC Harley used to ask twice as much for a FN as he did a VG back in the nineties, and lately those gaps have gotten much wider, and when you have a book that isn't slabbed in high grade, it looks like bidders can drive the price into the stratosphere, where you have anything over 6.0 ( especially a nice looking one like the JIM) getting multiples over a VG that one would normally expect for a 9.2/9.4 copy.

2 things. I wish I was the guy that bought the CGC 7.0 in 2006 for $389. I'm glad I got my copy when I did - because now I simply couldn't afford to buy one.

I agree not a benchmark. I would be surprised if another 6.5 of either book sold for close to this amount.

I am waiting for a solid Menace 5 to be auctioned through Sparklecity...I shudder to think where that auction ends up.

By the time another 6.5 comes up for sale who knows (shrug) It could be another 7 years before we find out.

Menace #5 is my personal favorite comic book of any era or genre. I'd be excited to see a nice one come up for sale.

One good thing to look forward to is that after seeing some of these prices realized, there might be more nice copies coming to market from some long time collectors.

One good thing to look forward to is that after seeing some of these prices realized, there might be more nice copies coming to market from some long time collectors.

I'd love to see a high grade copy of Menace 11 come to market. 5.5 is currently top census but there have to be some high grade copies out there.

Edited by Comixcroz

I think you could be right Jay. Time will tell.

Edited by Johnny545