• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,275 posts in this topic

It's just a nice copy.

grace kelly was just a nice looking girl, then.

Not long ago I watched To Catch a Thief, restored on Blu-ray, and she positively glowed. :luhv:

agreed; but for me, it's that moment in rear window where stewart has fallen asleep in the wheelchair, and she's shot from his pov coming in for a kiss to wake him. kneesweakening.

Jim,

I have it direct from the horses's mouth, John Verzyl in the 1980s, that he had the bulk of the Mile High Atlas horror books like Strange Tales etc. He said "they look real nice."

I don't know if he still has them.

Lewis

He may have some nice Atlas horror, but I don't think they are Strange Tales.

The original catalog only shows the following Strange Tales in the collection:

5f

10f

11f

12nm

13f

14f

16vg

17f

22vg

Thats it.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/catalog/page44big.html

For Marvel Tales there are a bunch of NM books between 93 and 109

But the only one that has surfaced (lately) is the 95.

One or two boardies have owned or saw several other Marvel Tales a while back, but not recently.

Edited by Johnny545

Jim,

I have it direct from the horses's mouth, John Verzyl in the 1980s, that he had the bulk of the Mile High Atlas horror books like Strange Tales etc. He said "they look real nice."

Lewis

That makes perfect sense, Lewis. That's why we never see them. I bet he could get 10K for the Venus 19. Nothing quite like a HG Atlas book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Jim,

Lewis

5f

10f

11f

12nm

13f

14f

16vg

17f

22vg

Thats it.

One or two boardies have owned or saw several other Marvel Tales a while back, but not recently.

The Burrell Rowe purchase and the Bruce Hamilton purchase are both missing from the catalog .... and they were sizable lots. I'm not sure, but I think the Carter Brothers books may also be missing from that catalog..... as would be some other miscellaneous purchases....the Strange Tales may have already been picked over. GOD BLESS...

Jim,

Lewis

5f

10f

11f

12nm

13f

14f

16vg

17f

22vg

Thats it.

The Burrell Rowe purchase and the Bruce Hamilton purchase are both missing from the catalog .... and they were sizable lots. I'm not sure, but I think the Carter Brothers books may also be missing from that catalog..... as would be some other miscellaneous purchases....the Strange Tales may have already been picked over. GOD BLESS...

Does anyone know what generally was included in the Burrell Row purhase? Bruce Hamilton was EC/Fiction house primarily right? Carter Brothers DC's? If they were limited to these publishers we can probably rule out a purchase of a few random Atlas horror books...but maybe not.

Looks like, for the most part, the Strange Tales left were VG-F, maybe someone did indeed pick out the best books.

Edited by Johnny545

Jim,

Lewis

5f

10f

11f

12nm

13f

14f

16vg

17f

22vg

Thats it.

Right you are. The Rowe & Hamilton books aren't in Chuck's MH catalog. Also, the collection was much larger than what was listed. As I understand it, some books were sold prior to publication and others divided up by co-owners for their private collections and/or later sale.

John Verzyl may still own those pre-code books mentioned (I'll ask him next time he calls or drops by). It's not much of a stretch to imagine some of the nicer looking PC horror books being picked over or pulled before the tabloid came out (there was a resurgence PC horror interest in the mid-late 70's). Judging by the general condition of the Church books listed it would seem to bolster that argument.

BTW, page 41 appears to be completely missing from the reposted catalog (not to mention the original fairie cover art which would've been a nice touch). I bought Silver Streak #7 (NM+) & 8 (NM) directly from page #41 of the '77 catalog. As a side note, Air Fighters #2 graded NM+ seems right on target (just thought I'd slip that one in).

Yeah, I know. This has little to do with pre-code purchases, but the fact that I no longer have those Silver Streaks in my collection does qualify as horror. lol

Does anyone know what generally was included in the Burrell Rowe purhase?

All of the Fiction House and EC. Most of the good early Fox. Capt. Marvel 22 - 46, Whiz 3 - 10, Some pre-Robin Detectives (I remember the 33 specifically) and other assorted books...Stuntman 1 for instance. I do not remember any Atlas books.

Does anyone know what generally was included in the Burrell Rowe purhase?

All of the Fiction House and EC. Most of the good early Fox. Capt. Marvel 22 - 46, Whiz 3 - 10, Some pre-Robin Detectives (I remember the 33 specifically) and other assorted books...Stuntman 1 for instance. I do not remember any Atlas books.

Thank you.