• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,284 posts in this topic

And very nice research at that. You never cease to amaze me with the knowledge that you possess about this genre of collecting. I am a mere babe in the woods.

I also wanted to thank you for the info you gave to Jay about the "neon" inks that Fawcett was using on some of their later PC books. Jay and I had been discussing that very topic not a week before. thumbsup2.gif

Scott

Always happy to share info with fellow geeks! hi.gif

insane.gifheadbang.gif

Appreciate the answers Mr.Strange!

So definitly not Grandenetti? confused-smiley-013.gif

I should have explained myself better. I wouldn't rule out another hand like Grandenetti. The Spirit's face doesn't look like "true" Eisner and, like I said, the skeleton doesn't look to be by him either. But I'd say that the scientist and woman look like Eisner with another hand inking his pencils, possibly Grandenetti.

Angelo

After looking at the book tonight I do have to say I agree that (at least) the scientist's face looks very much like Eisner. But as adamstrange stated, other artists could have been mimicing his style.

Absolutely. That's why I look for certain details in the art. Eisner used shadows to give depth to objects, like on the buttons on the scientist's lab coat. He also used a feathering/cross hatching technique to indicate folds or wrinkles. If you look to the right of the beeker, you'll see a perfect example of this. I haven't seen an Eisner ghost artist that uses either one or both of these techiniques. A great example of this is the cover I posted to #1. The artist there blacked in the folds and wrinkles. Plus the way Eisner drew hands was pretty destinctive, too.

Angelo

I should have explained myself better. I wouldn't rule out another hand like Grandenetti. The Spirit's face doesn't look like "true" Eisner and, like I said, the skeleton doesn't look to be by him either. But I'd say that the scientist and woman look like Eisner with another hand inking his pencils, possibly Grandenetti.

Angelo

After looking at the book tonight I do have to say I agree that (at least) the scientist's face looks very much like Eisner. But as adamstrange stated, other artists could have been mimicing his style.

Absolutely. That's why I look for certain details in the art. Eisner used shadows to give depth to objects, like on the buttons on the scientist's lab coat. He also used a feathering/cross hatching technique to indicate folds or wrinkles. If you look to the right of the beeker, you'll see a perfect example of this. I haven't seen an Eisner ghost artist that uses either one or both of these techiniques. A great example of this is the cover I posted to #1. The artist there blacked in the folds and wrinkles. Plus the way Eisner drew hands was pretty destinctive, too.

Angelo

Funny you mention the hands as I was focusing on the hand that holds the beeker.

Note how the ring finger is further in than the rest, conforming to the shape of the beeker. That seems a very Eisnerish detail to me. Man that is a nice cover!

Angelo

Angelo

Funny you mention the hands as I was focusing on the hand that holds the beeker.

Note how the ring finger is further in than the rest, conforming to the shape of the beeker. That seems a very Eisnerish detail to me. Man that is a nice cover!

thumbsup2.gif You got that right!

Angelo

Angelo

Angelo

thumbsup2.gif You got that right!

Angelo

Eisner used hands very expressively in helping to tell a story. When I was looking at a smaller image of the cover the coloring obscured the inking but in the larger scan they sure looked like Eisner hands. Also, very few folks would draw the long-haired goateed scientist -- reminded me of the decripitude of Life Below. Oh, and the use of droplets of water off of the beaker is a nice Eisner-like touch.

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Oh yeah, and cloud9.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh yeah, and 893applaud-thumb.gif

grin.gif

893whatthe.gif Dam, Andy, that's an incredible buy! Those copies look amazing hail.gif

Angelo

Thanks, they are really nice in-hand.

I just read the HoF 17. I'd almost forgotten how insanely violent and warped these comics are. People think hip hop and video games glorify violence today? Check these out. In the first story a guy lures travellers to his house so his psycho brother can murder them, cut them up, and dump them in the swamp. He kills a salesman, a random woman, and a guy who got lost on the wrong road. The three are killed and cut up and the bodies reform in the swamp....but with the wrong parts on each person! They take their revenge by dismembering the man and putting his parts back together incorrectly. Insane stuff. These stories would give a 10 year old nightmares for weeks. The second and third stories are just as bad, with a panel showing a woman's head sewn to a pictureframe and a wife grilling her husbands leg....which she naturally cut off. blush.gifscrewy.gif

Super buys for sure! I like the Craig cover better than Ingels. Am I the only one?

Let's declare this Pre-Code Saturday. These were in my mailbox.

Black Magic - March 1952 yay.gif

1882173-BlackMagic9s.jpg

Marvel Tales 108 - Rolled the dice on eBay. Listed without a scan or a picture as a VG by a non-comic seller. I was the only bidder. I think I did good. grin.gif

1882173-MarvelTales108.jpg

1882173-MarvelTales108.jpg.9bb18a49f27f19fdfe82f49ab4ba90c0.jpg

You can purchase the cover art to go with the comic over at Archangels!

Only $35,000. crazy.gif

voh30.jpg

893whatthe.gif Dam, Andy, that's an incredible buy! Those copies look amazing hail.gif

Angelo

Thanks, they are really nice in-hand.

I just read the HoF 17. I'd almost forgotten how insanely violent and warped these comics are. People think hip hop and video games glorify violence today? Check these out. In the first story a guy lures travellers to his house so his psycho brother can murder them, cut them up, and dump them in the swamp. He kills a salesman, a random woman, and a guy who got lost on the wrong road. The three are killed and cut up and the bodies reform in the swamp....but with the wrong parts on each person! They take their revenge by dismembering the man and putting his parts back together incorrectly. Insane stuff. These stories would give a 10 year old nightmares for weeks. The second and third stories are just as bad, with a panel showing a woman's head sewn to a pictureframe and a wife grilling her husbands leg....which she naturally cut off. blush.gifscrewy.gif

Well it is summer time! blush.gif

Sweet books all (would have swiped those first two if I'd been watching)

Yeah, give me the Craig VoH #30 over the HoF #17 anyday too!

Super buys for sure! I like the Craig cover better than Ingels. Am I the only one?

Nope. I think CSS 22 is the best EC cover out there, and VoH 30 and 35 aren't far behind.

Nope. I think CSS 22 is the best EC cover out there, and VoH 30 and 35 aren't far behind.

It's not like Frazetta did any classic covers for EC. poke2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

It's not like Frazetta did any classic covers for EC. poke2.gif

He did, but I still put CSS 22 in first place. poke2.gif

1882173-MarvelTales108.jpg

This book contains a story without much a story to it but I still like it be it for the second page or the third page. It's amazing how much was made with so little in this case - I hope you enjoy this as much as I did -

1882339-MarvelTales108Story4s.jpg

1882339-MarvelTales108Story4Page2s.jpg

1882339-MarvelTales108Story4Page3s.jpg

P.S.: Notice the LEE name on the tombstone in the panel before last wink.gif

1882339-MarvelTales108Story4Page3s.jpg.dbd16a1b66296b19d152c502983d73cc.jpg

Billy Everett cloud9.gif

Thanks for posting!

1882339-MarvelTales108Story4Page2s.jpg

Scrooge, wonderful story thanks for posting! 893applaud-thumb.gif

One thing that struck me on the first page is that you have a horror story with a

vampire and a werewolf (?) but husband and wife still can't sleep in the same bed! 27_laughing.gif