• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Writing Comic and Looking for Artist

22 posts in this topic

Well, I've written a full -script for the first issue of a comic, and have an outline for five other issues. However, I have no artistic talent, and am not sure where I can find a good artist to bring my -script to life. Does anyone have ideas on finding artists or are there any artists out there?

Basically my comic is an homage to 60s Marvel superheroes. It would look just like a 60s comic, think Kirby or Buscema, but the catch being it would be much more serious and introspective than most of those comics ever got.

I really want it to look like a vintage comic in every way and would consider printing it on actual newsprint if that would be possible. If I could get an artist, I think Kickstarter might be a place to get funding.

I really want it to look like a vintage comic in every way and would consider printing it on actual newsprint if that would be possible.

I've looked into this before for different clients on projects, and regardless of the advancements of printing technology, there's only two ways to do it: extremely expensive short run printing ($44 for one 12-page copy) or by traditional means - using a web press, which will require your print run to be astronomical (like tens of thousands).

If you want to have a comic book that looks like a vintage publication, you will be better off experimenting with 15# bond on a digital press, using a newsprint background on your image and then determining what kind of show-through you are willing to accept on your produced piece. (lighter weight of paper, the more show-through you will have). It won't have the same tooth or feel as newsprint, but it will probably give you the look you want.

Good luck with your book. I am finding they are an insane amount of work when you do everything yourself. I am working on my own book (1 book written/scripted, the next 15 loosely plotted) and it's quite an undertaking!

It's always tough finding a good artist for projects like these. Most of the ones who are any good aren't going to want to do all that work ( and trust me, drawing page after page of sequential art is a lot harder than pinups or covers ) on spec with the hopes that there may eventually be something in it for them on the back end.

Most of the ones who would be willing are usually not talented enough or will not be able to get the work done in a timely manner.

Good luck though :)

and trust me, drawing page after page of sequential art is a lot harder than pinups or covers

+1,000,000

I really want it to look like a vintage comic in every way and would consider printing it on actual newsprint if that would be possible.

I've looked into this before for different clients on projects, and regardless of the advancements of printing technology, there's only two ways to do it: extremely expensive short run printing ($44 for one 12-page copy) or by traditional means - using a web press, which will require your print run to be astronomical (like tens of thousands).

If you want to have a comic book that looks like a vintage publication, you will be better off experimenting with 15# bond on a digital press, using a newsprint background on your image and then determining what kind of show-through you are willing to accept on your produced piece. (lighter weight of paper, the more show-through you will have). It won't have the same tooth or feel as newsprint, but it will probably give you the look you want.

Good luck with your book. I am finding they are an insane amount of work when you do everything yourself. I am working on my own book (1 book written/scripted, the next 15 loosely plotted) and it's quite an undertaking!

Thanks for the insight, that's a little discouraging. It's crazy how something that seems so cheap as printing on newsprint could be so expensive.

It's always tough finding a good artist for projects like these. Most of the ones who are any good aren't going to want to do all that work ( and trust me, drawing page after page of sequential art is a lot harder than pinups or covers ) on spec with the hopes that there may eventually be something in it for them on the back end.

Most of the ones who would be willing are usually not talented enough or will not be able to get the work done in a timely manner.

I wonder if Kickstarter concept could help with this. Artist would only have to agree to do some spec art to show off what comic would look like, then if kickstarter campaign was funded, the artist would get actual money to finish complete comic.

I wonder if Kickstarter concept could help with this. Artist would only have to agree to do some spec art to show off what comic would look like, then if kickstarter campaign was funded, the artist would get actual money to finish complete comic.

I have been approached several dozen times in my career to donate or discount art for the prospect of something "hitting it big", and I can tell you that paying your artist a standard page price for work performed is going to be miles ahead of what most other people will be offering.

That's what I like about Kickstarter - it allows people with great ideas to generate revenue to pay other people for their talents to chip in on your project - which - in my opinion - gets you an all-around better end product.

I'll second that. Most comic stories have a group of people working on them. Writer, artist, inker and letterer, and if you want color..... thats a whole nuther weight. Doing all of that yourself not only places all of that burden on you, but there is an unseen added burden, that being the amount of time its taking you to finish ONE issue !! You can begin to worry and feel discouraged about this, and then you'll stop having fun.

I'm pushing to finish the third issue of my own book and I'm exhausted. :P

I'll second that. Most comic stories have a group of people working on them. Writer, artist, inker and letterer, and if you want color..... thats a whole nuther weight. Doing all of that yourself not only places all of that burden on you, but there is an unseen added burden, that being the amount of time its taking you to finish ONE issue !! You can begin to worry and feel discouraged about this, and then you'll stop having fun.

Would you mind telling us a bit about your book?

If you are looking for an artist the actual best bet is to find a local one (post a craigslist add in your local college town). Anyone you find online to do your art is either very expensive or going to be very flaky and you have no real way to actually get what you paid for in either case.

My advise is to pay a premium for some test pages to use as examples, then hire locally so you can control the environment (and only pay when the art is done). Make sure your -script is descriptive and readable, it would also help to include basic layouts so the artist knows what you see.

Good luck going forward as you are going to have some major headaches in the future.

+1 (maybe in a PM, not to hijack the thread)

Yea, if anyone PM's me, I'd be happy to get more in depth. I'll just say, its about a construction worker boss (and his crew of six) who is thrust into a leadership position because of his relationship to the mayor.... who seems to be the highest ranking person of authority left alive in the city, after EMP waves have completey shut down almost everything. You can see a couple of pages here..... in the personal artwork thread....

page 181

page 184

Yea, if anyone PM's me, I'd be happy to get more in depth. I'll just say, its about a construction worker boss (and his crew of six) who is thrust into a leadership position because of his relationship to the mayor.... who seems to be the highest ranking person of authority left alive in the city, after EMP waves have completey shut down almost everything. You can see a couple of pages here..... in the personal artwork thread....

page 181

page 184

Yeah! It's quite good too. (thumbs u

Don't let the artwork fool you. :jokealert::roflmao: Kidding

page 181

page 184

I remember seeing the second page - I really love the first page, it sets the tone for your style.

page 181

page 184

I remember seeing the second page - I really love the first page, it sets the tone for your style.

Thx Jason. The bad guy pages are some of my favorites to draw :angel::grin: