• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

500 DC Keys

56 posts in this topic

While not a popular book and probably not considered a key, I would have liked to seen Adventure Comics #346 (first Jim Shooter work) especially over some of the newer books.

With a number like "500" there will be a huge amount of variation on what should or should not be included... I assume we could get the majority of the group to agree on the top 25 or even 50 (with a few exceptions here and there), but with a number like 500 there is a large amount of room for "personal title preference."

Good example is Flash 140. To a Flash collector this could be seen as a key collectible, but to everyone else it is a minor villain appearance. When you have a total like 500, there is a lot of room for this type of preference.

That being said, people are having fun and it could probably go on forever!

With a number like "500" there will be a huge amount of variation on what should or should not be included... I assume we could get the majority of the group to agree on the top 25 or even 50 (with a few exceptions here and there), but with a number like 500 there is a large amount of room for "personal title preference."

Good example is Flash 140. To a Flash collector this could be seen as a key collectible, but to everyone else it is a minor villain appearance. When you have a total like 500, there is a lot of room for this type of preference.

That being said, people are having fun and it could probably go on forever!

I totally agree about the Flash 140. I only saw 400 books. So, with another 100 to go, this one should make the list.

I added

Aquaman 29 (1st Ocean Master)

Aquaman 35 (1st Black Manta)

Flash 122 (1st Top)

Flash 128 (1st Abra Kadabra)

Flash 135 (new Kid Flash costume)

Flash 140 (1st Heat Wave)

Flash 250 (1st Golden Glider) :devil:

Wonder Woman 108 (classic cover)

I added

Aquaman 29 (1st Ocean Master)

Aquaman 35 (1st Black Manta)

Flash 122 (1st Top)

Flash 128 (1st Abra Kadabra)

Flash 135 (new Kid Flash costume)

Flash 140 (1st Heat Wave)

Flash 250 (1st Golden Glider) :devil:

Wonder Woman 108 (classic cover)

how many more do we need, 90+?

Seems to me there are many iconic early Detective Comics that could be included.

261 Double X

266 Satellite from Gotham City

280 Atomic MAN

Too bad #236 with the first Bat Tank predates the S.A. :cry:

In addition I did not notice any issues of Superman in the 130's.

132 - A early split panel cover.

136 The Man who married Lois Lane (saucer cover)

140 - Son of Bizzaro

Only one Challenger issue. I would think #8 by Kirby would make the list.

There were 500 on the list. Some of the entries are for storylines, such as Crisis on Infinite Earths 1-12. (thumbs u

Not that I have any problem with additions or changes being made. Just pointing out that issues will need to be taken off the list in order to make additions.

Of the suggestions put forth so far, I do like the first Shooter issue of LSH. The others I am not so familiar with, particularly the Detective issues cited above. I'll let others weigh in on those.

There were 500 on the list. Some of the entries are for storylines, such as Crisis on Infinite Earths 1-12. (thumbs u

Not that I have any problem with additions or changes being made. Just pointing out that issues will need to be taken off the list in order to make additions.

Of the suggestions put forth so far, I do like the first Shooter issue of LSH. The others I am not so familiar with, particularly the Detective issues cited above. I'll let others weigh in on those.

Oops, didn't even take that into consideration. Nice work compiling the list either way!

I would add Batman # 217 as a key book with Grayson going off to college, the closing of Wayne Manor, intro of Penthouse, and the attempt to make Batman a "loner" again. Also, Detective # 328 with the death of Alfred and first appearance of Aunt Harriet. I don't understand Batman Family # 17's notation of classic cover. Where has that been stated? I would go with Batman Family # 1 with the debut of the Batgirl-Robin team (as well as a classic Grell cover, at least to me).

Batman # 189? First SA Scarecrow? Brave and the Bold # 79 & 86. Deadman issues. And for the dynamic art style and ongoing storyline Adams used for his entire Strange Adventures' Deadman run (207-216) would that not be considered key?

Definitely a key book missing from the list is Batman 189 featuring the first Silver Age appearance of the Scarecrow and the villian's origin, a retelling of his origin story from World's Finest 3 from the early 1940s. In fact, I believe we're talking major key as opposed to minor key but that's just my 2c. Fantastic Carmine Infantino cover as well!

SLR

I would add Batman # 217 as a key book with Grayson going off to college, the closing of Wayne Manor, intro of Penthouse, and the attempt to make Batman a "loner" again. Also, Detective # 328 with the death of Alfred and first appearance of Aunt Harriet. I don't understand Batman Family # 17's notation of classic cover. Where has that been stated? I would go with Batman Family # 1 with the debut of the Batgirl-Robin team (as well as a classic Grell cover, at least to me).

I stated it. Therefore, it must be true. :sumo:

No, actually, Batman Family #17 is just a comic I have seen cited by numerous fans over the years for being particularly desirable due solely to the cover. Which I think is one of the ways covers become "classic." It was just easier to write "classic cover" than explain it in detail.

The suggestion of Batman Family #1 is a good one, though - it was originally on my list but I dropped it as one of the last cuts. And Batman #217 sounds like a very good one as well.

Batman Family #17 for those not familiar with the Michael Kaluta cover:

Batman_Family_v.1_17.jpg

I'd probably include World's Finest # 88 - 1st Joker/Luthor team-up. Would probably be more popular if the cover was better.

I see the last entry is 80 Page Giant # 7, Sgt. Rock. I'd probably switch that for Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales nn (#1), squarebound. IIRC it came out before 80 Page # 7 and became Sgt. Rock Annual.