• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgc-mylars on ebay. False Advertising. NOT Mylar **Updated with sample test**

85 posts in this topic

I've done a lot of business with CGCmylars on eBay and I've always had great experiences. I don't want to claim that they are definitely Mylar because I'm not a chemist and I wouldn't know how to go about testing the composition of the material. I can attest that their product is of course far superior to the bags that the CGC uses. I spoke with a representative from CGCmylars and she said that the bags are made of "Mylar material." I have no reason to doubt her claims based on my examination of the product, but I don't claim to an expert in the matter.

While I'd be disappointed if they were proven to be anything other than Mylar, I'd still be satisfied with the product as it suits a specific need of mine. They are clear and strong. The seals can be broken and affixed with ease. They conform to the slab and don't interfere with their placement in boxes.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion to this product?

Just to put it all in one place

100 e Gerber 914M2 guaranteed Mylar bags for slabs $43.50

20 cgc-mylars claimed "Mylar" bags with adhesive strip $19.46

80 cgc-mylars claimed "Mylar" bags with adhesive strip $39.91

120 cgc-mylars claimed "Mylar" bags with adhesive strip $54.36

100 Clearbags BOPP polypropylene with Adhesive on the flap $13.50

How well do these fit the slabs and are they flexible enough to fit in typical comic boxes or drawers? Do you have photographs to show us? I'm super curious about the product because I use their MyLite 2s on my raw books and I'm super happy.

Thanks!

How well do these fit the slabs and are they flexible enough to fit in typical comic boxes or drawers? Do you have photographs to show us? I'm super curious about the product because I use their MyLite 2s on my raw books and I'm super happy.

Thanks!

they are perfect. i put my slabs in them. if you like the way your raws look in a mylite, you will like this too. i put my slabs inside them and the slabs inside a magazine size box. perfect.

Thanks!

they are perfect. i put my slabs in them. if you like the way your raws look in a mylite, you will like this too. i put my slabs inside them and the slabs inside a magazine size box. perfect.

Nice! Thanks, I will definitely use these instead.

I received a sample of the cgc-mylar bag yesterday.

At first glance this stuff is close. Anyone who doesn't regularly use M2s or M4s would likely never think twice about it. Even those who do use M2s or M4s would likely take the seller's word and assume that it is "just a different thickness" or even a "different type" of Mylar.

Differences:

Seams: Much smaller bead. Identical to Polypropylene (PP) or Polyethylene (PE). Barely thicker than the bag. Mylar has a bead that is about double the thickness of the bag itself.

Rigidity: cgc-m bags are far less rigid than actual Mylar

Folding: cgc-m bags do not maintain folds like Mylar bags. Crumple cgc-m strip and Mylar strip into a ball and release. Cgc-m immediately expands to almost double the size of the Mylar ball.

Clarity: Approaches the clarity of Mylar. Not cloudy like regular PP or PE bags. However, although the cgc-m bags are very clear, there is a significant difference in the level of distortion when looking through the bag as compared to looking through an actual Mylar bag

Stretch: Easily able to stretch cgc-m bags by hand. Mylar no way.

Oven: cgc-m bag melts to about 1/4 the size at 300 degrees after about 10 minutes. Leaving it in longer will probably cause continued shrinkage. M2 Mylar bag no change.

Conclusion: The sample cgc-mylar bag is Not Mylar.

At first glance this stuff is close. Anyone who doesn't regularly use M2s or M4s would likely never think twice about it. Even those who do use M2s or M4s would likely take the seller's word and assume that it is "just a different thickness" or even a "different type" of Mylar.

Differences:

Seams: Much smaller bead. Identical to Polypropylene (PP) or Polyethylene (PE). Barely thicker than the bag. Mylar has a bead that is about double the thickness of the bag itself.

Folding: cgc-m bags do not maintain folds like Mylar bags. Crumple cgc-m strip and Mylar strip into a ball and release. Cgc-m immediately expands to almost double the size of the Mylar ball.

Clarity: Approaches the clarity of Mylar. Not cloudy like regular PP or PE bags. However, although the cgc-m bags are very clear, there is a significant difference in the level of distortion when looking through the bag as compared to looking through an actual Mylar bag

Oven: cgc-m bag melts to about 1/4 the size at 300 degrees after about 10 minutes. Leaving it in longer will probably cause continued shrinkage. M2 Mylar bag no change.

:sumo:

Thanks for the research.

I've purchased these bags from this seller. I indeed did think these were a mylar product as they look and feel much more like mylar than cheap plastic bags. I found that the cheap bags looked awful and wanted a better display option for books that I was selling at shows. These bags fit the bill but if I order more I'll use the link you provided.

Differences:

Nice job :applause:

Differences:

Nice job :applause:

:applause::applause:

is there a reason some of you dont use magazine size mylites instead? i put my slabs in magazine size mylite2's and they look fantastic. is it the price?

Great post. This is what I do. The only possible "flaw" is a the very top of the back of the slab isn't covered/protected. But it's also the least important part.

is there a reason some of you dont use magazine size mylites instead? i put my slabs in magazine size mylite2's and they look fantastic. is it the price?

Great post. This is what I do. The only possible "flaw" is a the very top of the back of the slab isn't covered/protected. But it's also the least important part.

just fold it over and stick a label on it to hold it in place, like a comic bag.

Why would you take chances,when Hotflips is the sure thing.They have far superior product with the best customer service.What else could you want? :makepoint:

+1 Hotflips :headbang:

Grinin also sells Mylars and microchamber paper :gossip: and provides great service!