• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgc-mylars on ebay. False Advertising. NOT Mylar **Updated with sample test**

85 posts in this topic

is there a reason some of you dont use magazine size mylites instead? i put my slabs in magazine size mylite2's and they look fantastic. is it the price?

Great post. This is what I do. The only possible "flaw" is a the very top of the back of the slab isn't covered/protected. But it's also the least important part.

The Gerber 914M2 legal size Mylite2 which I used for price comparison to the cgc-m product earlier in the thread is the same width as the Gerber Mag size but with 3" additional length. With the 914M2 the entire slab is covered.

Thanks Grinin -- as always you have our backs. I am dismayed to say that two months ago, having loved the far superior look and feel of CGC-Mylars bags to the typical CGC shipping bags, I dropped a bundle to CGC-Mylars for 200 bags!! I should have known. I loved the way these bags look, but was suspicious from the very beginning as soon as I touched the first bag. I even went back and carefully read their EBAY ad, and thought "surely they can't be lying!" These must just be a different type of mylar than what I am used to, with all the inconvenient static, rub scratches, and non-slipperiness. These are too good to be true!! But I hoped they were, so I kept buying.

Now, after reading this thread and being an OCD archivist of my comics (albeit on a budget), I can feel my precious, slabbed comics sweating and wheezing in their polluted shrouds. I am concerned, but to a point:

Assuming the CGC-Mylars bags are NOT mylar, which is conclusive after your oven test, what is the actual risk of any harmful substance migrating to my slabbed comics within? I am not defending CGC-Mylars deceptive practice, but from a pragmatic standpoint, my entire 130 slabs are in these dang CGC-Mylar bags, dating back to December 2012 when I started. The deadly, insidious chemicals still have to fight their way through the outer shell case, the inner barex liner, and CGC's undersized but still atmospherically protecting MCP paper, right?

What is the risk??

Thanks Grinin -- as always you have our backs. I am dismayed to say that two months ago, having loved the far superior look and feel of CGC-Mylars bags to the typical CGC shipping bags, I dropped a bundle to CGC-Mylars for 200 bags!! I should have known. I loved the way these bags look, but was suspicious from the very beginning as soon as I touched the first bag. I even went back and carefully read their EBAY ad, and thought "surely they can't be lying!" These must just be a different type of mylar than what I am used to, with all the inconvenient static, rub scratches, and non-slipperiness. These are too good to be true!! But I hoped they were, so I kept buying.

Now, after reading this thread and being an OCD archivist of my comics (albeit on a budget), I can feel my precious, slabbed comics sweating and wheezing in their polluted shrouds. I am concerned, but to a point:

Assuming the CGC-Mylars bags are NOT mylar, which is conclusive after your oven test, what is the actual risk of any harmful substance migrating to my slabbed comics within? I am not defending CGC-Mylars deceptive practice, but from a pragmatic standpoint, my entire 130 slabs are in these dang CGC-Mylar bags, dating back to December 2012 when I started.

What is the risk??

The books are slabbed and you're worrying that the bags that the slabs are in will harm the books?

:facepalm:

Assuming the CGC-Mylars bags are NOT mylar, which is conclusive after your oven test, what is the actual risk of any harmful substance migrating to my slabbed comics within? I am not defending CGC-Mylars deceptive practice, but from a pragmatic standpoint, my entire 130 slabs are in these dang CGC-Mylar bags, dating back to December 2012 when I started. The deadly, insidious chemicals still have to fight their way through the outer shell case, the inner barex liner, and CGC's undersized but still atmospherically protecting MCP paper, right?

What is the risk??

I think you have defined the risk. There really isn't much of any to the comic. Only the holder itself.

If you made your purchase two months ago with cgc-mylars and paid with a credit card, I'd see if you can open a dispute. Paypal is 45 days and has in my experience been strict about that time frame. But if your credit card is through a local bank or credit union, they can often be flexible on stuff like this.

The product you and so many others have bought was misrepresented & everyone has a right to a refund.

What is the risk??

I think you have defined the risk. There really isn't much of any to the comic. Only the holder itself.

If you made your purchase two months ago with cgc-mylars and paid with a credit card, I'd see if you can open a dispute. Paypal is 45 days and has in my experience been strict about that time frame. But if your credit card is through a local bank or credit union, they can often be flexible on stuff like this.

The product you and so many others have bought was misrepresented & everyone has a right to a refund.

But if he already left positive feedback he's out of luck isn't he? Don't see E-bay, Paypal or his bank siding with him if he himself had earlier said he was happy with the transaction. (shrug)

That's exactly what I'm asking. Is there nothing to worry about, and this thread is only about false advertising? I just want to understand, not looking for ridicule.

If you're using the bags with slabs, there is nothing to worry about. Now if you were using these bags with raw books, then yes, you may have something to worry about.

What is the risk??

But if he already left positive feedback he's out of luck isn't he? Don't see E-bay, Paypal or his bank siding with him if he himself had earlier said he was happy with the transaction. (shrug)

Although he did leave positive feedback … he did so on the premise that the merchandise he purchased was of a specific type, to be more precise he was lead on to believe that what he purchased was Mylar when in fact it was not. The buyer in this case was duped because the seller misrepresented the item being sold.

Misrepresentation occurs when a person makes a false statement of material fact for the purpose of persuading another person to purchase the item being sold.

The law varies from state to state but generally the buyer has up to one year from the moment that he became aware of the fact that he bought misrepresented merchandise, the key here is that the time frame is not when the purchase was actually made but when the buyer actually became aware of the fact he was duped.

That's exactly what I'm asking. Is there nothing to worry about, and this thread is only about false advertising? I just want to understand, not looking for ridicule.

This thread is about false advertising.

CGC uses PP or PE bags to ship slabs, so I would not be concerned about storing them with the BOPP bags.

The BOPP bags themselves are actually great. It is the deceptive sales practices that I take issue with.

anyone have a good mylar supplier in the uk?

Not sure about in the UK but I’m pretty sure that Jeff and the guys at Hotflips ship to the UK.

As many have already mentioned Hotflips has great prices and excellent customer service (thumbs u

I wonder if the seller even has a understanding of chemistry ?

This seems a complicated subject that only people that understand the products should sell?

That said I am sure the seller would not lie or maybe he just isn't educated properly

All in all a great thread to read

Thanks

:)

This seems a complicated subject that only people that understand the products should sell?

That said I am sure the seller would not lie or maybe he just isn't educated properly

Thanks

It's actually a pretty simple test since the melting points are substantially different for Mylar. It's also simple enough to try to stretch the bag. Poly will stretch. Mylar has such a high tensile strength (higher than steel, actually...IIRC) that you CAN NOT stretch it.

I tried stretching a MyLite 2. lol

I think it's a bummer that the bags I bought were advertised as Mylar. That's the entire reason I bought them in the first place. I can't predict their intentions or awareness of the issue, but I know they are making a killing from each sale.

Bad thing about this is that I haven't done business with them in the last 45 days...so a claim will be hard. But I do think something should be done...could be as simple as the seller agreeing to remove from the auction all references to Mylar.

Thanks

It's actually a pretty simple test since the melting points are substantially different for Mylar. It's also simple enough to try to stretch the bag. Poly will stretch. Mylar has such a high tensile strength (higher than steel, actually...IIRC) that you CAN NOT stretch it.

I think it's a bummer that the bags I bought were advertised as Mylar. That's the entire reason I bought them in the first place. I can't predict their intentions or awareness of the issue, but I know they are making a killing from each sale.

Bad thing about this is that I haven't done business with them in the last 45 days...so a claim will be hard. But I do think something should be done...could be as simple as the seller agreeing to remove from the auction all references to Mylar.

The seller already has removed all references to the bags being made of Mylar.

Thanks

You are far too kind, or trusting, or both. The evidence is overwhelming that the seller purchases these bags from a supplier and repackages them for resale. The seller most certainly know that his listings on eBay for these bags is at least misleading, if not outright lies.

By all accounts, the bags themselves look nice. The seller is taking advantage of the fact they look like mylar and leading buyers to believe they are in fact getting mylar bags at a slightly better price than anywhere else. In fact buyers are getting way overpriced plastic bags.

Thanks

You are far too kind, or trusting, or both. The evidence is overwhelming that the seller purchases these bags from a supplier and repackages them for resale. The seller most certainly know that his listings on eBay for these bags is at least misleading, if not outright lies.

By all accounts, the bags themselves look nice. The seller is taking advantage of the fact they look like mylar and leading buyers to believe they are in fact getting mylar bags at a slightly better price than anywhere else. In fact buyers are getting way overpriced plastic bags.

^^

Yea you shouldn't have to be a Chemist to buy or sell Mylar. I agree that the seller was being intentionally deceptive.

Thanks

Nope. Just checked.

Here is the auction

Thanks

Nope. Just checked.

Here is the auction

I was referencing the seller danc6433, not comicmylars. :tonofbricks:

I too have bought a few packs of these bags from cgc-mylars. Forget about the text of the listing; how about changing their name??

Really glad to have stumbled on this thread & thanks to the OP. For those of you recommending eGerber products, isn't it a complete waste of money to protect CGC slabs with real Mylar? cgc-"mylar"'s bags seem like the perfect product (clearer than poly, cheaper than Mylar), albeit at the wrong price.