• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yeah, I know...

33 posts in this topic

Interesting, Earl. Thanks for all the info, I hadn't noticed the price there until now.

-slym

Yea that is like a $30 difference for modern drek!

I'd love to see an explanation on CGC's stance though... Is there actually a GLOD copy because of the foil?

I have never heard of another one like this. Funny how a few of the Venom Black "errors" are out there, and they are worth beaucoup bucks, but you find a true one-off, and people are all "meh."

Here is a pic, a side-by-side comparison -

001jax.jpg

It is as if everything got a faint outline of the "gold foil," but nothing was filled in. The only "normal" looking thing is around Cable's eye, as that was just an outline anyway. No fill in the title, the "1" near the Marvel logo is not filled in, and even the outlines on his chest-gear are faint.

Thanks for all your answers, every bit helps.

-slym

This looks like the issue you have:

http://www.comics.org/issue/1012453/

It appears what you have here may be an intentional variant, not an error. Is the cover a wrap around like the gold foil cover? The box in the upper left is interesting and is the key to figuring out what you have here.

As for your comment about a "true" one off, I think it would be hard to collectors to generate excitement for a comic that only one copy exists. They'll never get to own it, unless the comic trades hands several times no price history can be created, etc.

No, the cover is a wrap-around. I received this in a shipment of comics when I was working at a newsstand, it came in with all the other books. It even has the UPC code on the back. And the foil isn't just not in the title, it looks like it was lightly applied on the chest-gear whereas it should have been more prevalent, like the "regular" versions', I would think.

hm

-slym

I have a copy of Spider-Man 2099 #1 that is the same way. The edges of the red foil aren't there and it was applied too lightly in some places and in places where it shouldn't be. There's foil over the word "approved" in the CCA box.

I would think (yeah, yeah, there's the problem) that manufacturer errors should be treated equally. Either they all go in Universal labels (which I agree with, as multi-cover books get Blues) or they all go in GLODs (which makes no sense to me.)

Maybe I should make some groan here and start a thread in CG...

hm

-slym

Please do this. I am tired of the selective use of the green labels for identical errors.

I'm one of those niche collectors, I have many partial and total foil missing error books, and I wont send them in to CGC, because they will all get green labels and be worth less than being raw ( in most cases). Xmen 300, hulk 393, iron man 290 and so on.

Someone needs to champion this, and I just dont have the energy.

BTW... not only is the venom error book in a blue universal slab , it gets it's own spot on the census, which is why it pulls so much $$. They should all be looked at the same way.

I did ask a question in the "Ask CGC" section, but that was last Monday, so I am guessing the appropriate mods are either really behind on screening the questions that make it into the part, or it isn't going to be answered.

:(

-slym

Well, looks like I got a response to my question, it is posted in the Ask CGC forum. Basically, Venom Black gets the blue label because it is popular. Anything else should be in a GLOD.

:shrug:

-slym