• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convention Pricing techniques?

19 posts in this topic

So..... I haven't sold at a comic convention in over 18 months. Never thought I would again. But those books are piling up and I paid for one eight foot table at a small comic con this coming Sunday in Seattle. I believe there will be 80 tables total. I've sold at dozens of cons years ago so this is not new to me. But.... now NONE of my books are stickered and I'm sittin' here sticking and sticking and sticking. More or less at about 50% of Overstreet. Almost everything I'll be selling is ASM #130 up and X-Men #144 and up.

Just wondering how you guys do this. Any pricing techniques? Maybe during the last couple hours of this one-day show I'll be putting up 25% off signs unless the sales are really happening. But dang, this stickering is so time consuming. And I absolutely hate it when I check other dealer's boxes at cons and they don't have the books individually priced, so I do need to do it myself.

So, any techniques out there from you con dealers regarding successful sales techniques at cons? And from you buyers is there anything about a small dealer that makes you want to shop with him (besides obvious nice books and low prices)?

In the meantime, I'll just be stickering away.......... 893frustrated.gif -----------Sid

It's not really necessary to take 25% off at the local cons in the final hour unless that's going to be your one and only con.

Many dealers just pack up early if the con is slow. Making up the cost of the table isn't usually a problem and travel costs to a local con aren't usually very high.

If you really want to just sell your stuff, make sure you get there and set up REALLY early so that other dealers can go through your stuff before the con opens. They'll cherry pick through your comics. (Especially if they see that you're new.)

Sometimes, depending on your stuff, they will make an offer on your entire inventory.

Never sold at a con and I know you have been stockering but what about just color-coding? I assume you can pretty quickly group most of your books into general "clumps" of similar value? Then just Get some of those colored "sticky circles" at a Staples or whatever. Red=$5, Blue =$10 etc. Would that make things go easier?

(But you have to watch out for bag switchers!

Never sold at a con and I know you have been stockering but what about just color-coding? I assume you can pretty quickly group most of your books into general "clumps" of similar value? Then just Get some of those colored "sticky circles" at a Staples or whatever. Red=$5, Blue =$10 etc. Would that make things go easier?

Using color stickers is the way to go. This way as you do more shows you can drop the Reds to say $2.00 and the Blues to $5.00 without having to reprice the books.