• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice? Should I keep it or try and sell?

26 posts in this topic

So, check this out: Last night I sniped a Ghosts #2 in cgc 9.4 for $265 ($280 shipped fully insured from Canada). Now the thing is, "sterlingcomics" cost me $100 on that auction. He kept bidding and bidding, but my $325.25 snipe won. That amount was determined as the most any rational individual would have sniped at, as a Ghosts #1 on Comiclink sold for that much relatively recently.

Now I have Ghosts #1 in 9.4. There is one 2 in 9.4 (just bought it), one 3 in 9.4 and one 4 in 9.4. There are a few (I think 3) in 9.2 of issue 2.

So, Sterling wants the Ghosts 2. He already has Ghosts:

1 9.4 top census

2 9.2

3 9.4 top census

4 9.4 top census

as well as some other issues that didn't grade as well (ie he was just selling a few of his duplicate lower graded copies of Ghosts 1-7 on ebay this past week).

Now Sterling sends me an email out of the blue. He wants ghotst #2 - bad. I'm thinking to myself that I should just bid for his books as I have a pretty good idea that my wallet is bigger than his. I told him basically that he could name his price on 3 and 4 and he told me that "he's not interested in selling a this time".

Now this is my dilemna - I want those books, but not crazy bad. I value Ghosts and having #1 in the highest grade is phenomenal and makes me really happy. I would say that Ghosts is #2 / #3 on my list behind Batman and neck and neck with Hulk. So, should I tell him that I would sell for $400? This book guides for around $100. The thing is, once I sell it, this book will never be on the market again ever. This guy Sterling is a complete 70s horror FANATIC (he was the first runner up on the Witching Hour #1 in 9.4 that Showcase had up for grabs) and would probably give me the cash if I asked for it and that would be that. As of now this is the best copy EVER and I have doubts as to if there will ever be its equal. Similarly, the 3 and 4 are in the same boat - both owned by Sterling. I could see a Ghosts 1 coming up one day in a 9.6 perhaps, but it doesn't feel right that people would have hoarded these later (ie post #1) books in such pristine condition.

Now the question becomes what to do?

1 - keep the book and forget about Sterling

2 - make Sterling a complete FU offer, like $400?

3 - other?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

DAM

Well...if you're trying to complete a set...and this is the only one in grade...wouldn't it be kind of..well..dumb..to sell it?

Sure you can make 75 dollars, but then you'll have to sit around hoping for another one to be grade 9.4, and obviously it isn't a hot book to be sent in.

Brian

Keep it....Sterling will just have to find another someplace else. Why spend so much on the comic if you're even willing to part with it so quickly (and you're not in it for the money of course)? confused.gif

Jim

Sell it and buy the Oakland copy. Or any number of high grade copies that will surface, now that 1) the CGC price is going up, causing people to send more books in, and 2) a "price" has been set on a Ghosts 2.

I'd wager that by the end of the summer, there will be AT LEAST 2 9.4s, and maybe a 9.6, especially since people know you want it. If he's going to pay silly money for it, sell it to him.

Yeah, what were you thinking bidding that amount for the #2? However, I may not agree with your assessment that there may not be a better copy of #2 around. For whatever reason, Joseph Koch had tons of copies of #2 that he was selling cheap pre-eBay for cheap. Although the ones that I got were dinged at the top spine corners, I am sure that there were copies that did not have this problem. I guess you could see if he bites with the $400 offer but it seems quite high for this book. Hell, the Witching Hour 1 sold for less than $400. If he bites, sell it. I had a similar situation in the past when the runner-up EMAILed me right away to buy the book. I won an unslabbed Super DC Giant S-21 graded at VF+ for $405 but was immediately offered $600 for it. As I already owned the Oakland copy of the book, I sold right away. I can't understand why he didn't bid that high to begin with because I would have never paid that much! Thank god because the grading was off but the guy was very happy with it.

BTW, until I got my CGC 9.4 OWW Ghosts 1 off eBay, I have never seen a copy without any production creases. I have 5 unslabbed copies and all of them have some production creases. Did you copy have them or not? Thanks--Greg.

If you're not that hot on the issue dam.....then go ahead and sell it for a profit. If you're really into trying to complete the run of the first few issues.....then I'd hold onto it. Doesn't seem like such a hard choice.

Of course murph0 thinks it's dumb to sell a book.......but his parents can afford all the books that he wants so there's no need for him to sell.

Tom - smart move. Right now I am waiting for his email to see if I can have him buy me out of my bid AND get me the 9.2 that he has : )

That would be pretty sweet!!! I definitely want to have a 9.4 or better some day (whatever the top census ends up being) but I can wait. I didn't realize that so many copies of #2 and above were hoarded - I swear, every time I read a thread like this it just drives home the fact that these books are extremely common.

One cool thing about this thread too is that of the 5 #1 in 9.4 (top census) we have just located 3!! I have one, Greggy has one, Sterlingcomics has one - where are the other two???

PS - Greggy, if you want a scan of the book PM me. Unfortunately, I can't really tell if it has a "production crease" - what's that mean again? As you probably guessed, the book is not for sale, but anyone is more than welcome to take a look.

DAM

Here's a scan of a copy with the crease. You can clearly see it above "KISS YOUR BRIDE"! It is worse on the back cover. Actually, I checked another copy of mine and it doesn't have any so there may be more than I thought. smile.gif

Ghosts1.JPG

Mine doesn't have the crease - question for ya: the "only 25 cents bigger and better" circle above the code logo - the circle that has that info isn't complete on top. Mine either - is that a miscut or is that standard for a Ghosts #1?

Thanks,

DAM

In my best Seinfeld voice, "Hello, DAM." laugh.gif

Sorry we couldn't get a trade on the Ghosts #2. You are absolutely right. I am a 70's horror fanatic. Anybody got any CGC top grade DC horror material for sale? It's great to find others that like the same material. Late 70's horror is what got me into comics to start with.

I bought most of the Ghosts issue from Nick Katradis. I am in the process of CGC'ing issues of HOM, HOS, Dark Tales Forbidden Mansion, etc. And unlike my unfortunate comic-keys purchase, they will be unrestored. I was playing around in the Showcase auction, as I already own a Witching Hour #1 CGC 9.4 Northland copy.

I've somewhat cooled down, sold some of my Spideys, but I'll be roaring again soon. And I assure you, my wallet will be full. grin.gif

I agree that he isn't the cheapest game in town. He recently had a run of Ghosts issues up that I passed up on, simply because some of the prices need some adjusting.

However, he is usually within 1/2 point of the grade, and I've been overjoyed with the books. redf1shing and I (another eBay horror fanatic that bids on the same books aI do) have been "regulars" of nickkat, and as such he throws in extras etc.

I've diversified my portfolio as of late so I'm not collecting just horror, but they are the sparkle in my collecting eye!

Merry Christmas.