• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Man Of Steel" Thread

962 posts in this topic

Forecasts are now at $120M or more for the weekend.

This movie is doing much better financially than anyone expected.

LINK

Damn it.

Wha, you want it to fail?

Not fail. I just don't think it deserves a sequel.

:facepalm:

you don't have to watch the sequel, why would you desire it to be a failure so the people who enjoyed it can't see another?

ridiculous

I think it's just sad that a movie where Superman snapped Zod's neck is the new standard (and don't say, "He's killed before in the comics.") It was wrong then, too. This just brings it to a whole other level. What will he do in the next movies? Rip Brainiac's head off? Punch a hole through Luthor's chest? Impale Darkseid? It's just sad.

El Douché, watch your freakin' spoilers!!!

El Crapo, I'm surprised you haven't seen it yet. And if they didn't read about that scene on here, they probably heard about it somewhere else.

I didn't, until your post.

superman78-earth.gif

you're welcome

As I have been saying for almost a year. :baiting:

Man of Steel is one of the greatest superhero films of all time.

Movie was outstanding and freakin EPIC!

Michael Shannon (#1 is an under rated actor his whole career) was just awesome as ZOD! I loved his communist symbol on his battle suit.

I counted 6 religious Jesus Christ hinted themes for Superman in that film.

Loved how they barely mentioned Smallville, Metropolis, Daily Planet, or the name Superman.

Definitely going to see this movie a 2nd time!

Finally a realistic portrayal of consequences that would obviously happen with epic battles.

All the people that died in this movie made me very happy. :whee:

All the people that died in this movie made me very happy. :whee:

Hopefully that just came out wrong....

hell no

Seeing realistic deaths in a movie I always appreciate.

As for not watching it, of course I'll watch another one if they release it just like I watched X-Men 3, Iron Man 3, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, and all the other pieces of garbage they've released over the years.

Serious question: Why? (shrug)

Maybe it's because I'm drunk...again...but I like all the superheroes movies and will watch them all no matter the quality. hell, I liked Green Lantern and bought it both in DVD and BluRay. I gotta stop coming here, it's spurring my need to collect again

As for not watching it, of course I'll watch another one if they release it just like I watched X-Men 3, Iron Man 3, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, and all the other pieces of garbage they've released over the years.

Because I like superheroes.

Movie review - warning the following post contains spoilers.

I thought the movie deserved a well-earned 8/10, solid summer movie.

MOS had a great mix of heart-warming scenes off-set by some action-packed epic battles. Both fathers were equal parts temperance, love and admiration, both mothers woundingly devoted. While I am not a fan of seeing massive amounts of people die (a la boardie's earlier post), I did appreciate that they brought real consequences of a fight between super-humans into context. While the Avenger's destroyed New York, what happened to Metropolis was much more consistent with what would happen when two invulnerable beings capable of flight feel like duking it out.

Supes was stoic, had a well-derived sense of purpose and a good balance of levity. Great casting on a tough character that comes with high expectations. Nuff said.

Lois Lane had a solid, if under-appreciated performance of an intrepid female reporter with moxie. She did not cower in the face of danger but did not trudge off into the fray blindly like a dim-wit AND understood greater consequences of her stories versus pushing the "truth" regardless of the implications. I like this take on Lois versus some previous versions where she is only interested in getting the "scoop" and would knowingly endanger herself and others to get it. Side note: I am a fan of the upfront twist of her knowing the truth. This could make for more engaging romance story-lines in sequels versus some of the earlier films (looking at you Superman II and the "forget-me kiss").

Zod was angry, dangerous and a believable megalomaniac. Sure he didn't have to die, but the last few reboots that challenge how our heroes came to their guiding principles (Dark Knight, Star Trek, etc.) has brought a freshness to the genre that others failed to do (Batmans Forever/& Robin, Superman Returns, etc). From my point of view, Superman not killing is only meaningful if he truly understands what it feels like to murder someone (or have someone he loves murdered - i.e. Batman).

Not sure if I believe long-term that Supes could hide (as CK at the Daily Planet) given that an entire town knows who he is and if nothing else it was clear to the government where he grew up and where his space ship was...

In summation: small nitpicking aside, it was a very entertaining flick that delivered a believable version of an epic hero that has been re-invented multiple times over the last 75 years. It may not be everyone's Superman, but it sure was close enough to be mine!

MOS had a great mix of heart-warming scenes off-set by some action-packed epic battles. Both fathers were equal parts temperance, love and admiration, both mothers woundingly devoted. While I am not a fan of seeing massive amounts of people die (a la boardie's earlier post), I did appreciate that they brought real consequences of a fight between super-humans into context. While the Avenger's destroyed New York, what happened to Metropolis was much more consistent with what would happen when two invulnerable beings capable of flight feel like duking it out.

Supes was stoic, had a well-derived sense of purpose and a good balance of levity. Great casting on a tough character that comes with high expectations. Nuff said.

Lois Lane had a solid, if under-appreciated performance of an intrepid female reporter with moxie. She did not cower in the face of danger but did not trudge off into the fray blindly like a dim-wit AND understood greater consequences of her stories versus pushing the "truth" regardless of the implications. I like this take on Lois versus some previous versions where she is only interested in getting the "scoop" and would knowingly endanger herself and others to get it. Side note: I am a fan of the upfront twist of her knowing the truth. This could make for more engaging romance story-lines in sequels versus some of the earlier films (looking at you Superman II and the "forget-me kiss").

Zod was angry, dangerous and a believable megalomaniac. Sure he didn't have to die, but the last few reboots that challenge how our heroes came to their guiding principles (Dark Knight, Star Trek, etc.) has brought a freshness to the genre that others failed to do (Batmans Forever/& Robin, Superman Returns, etc). From my point of view, Superman not killing is only meaningful if he truly understands what it feels like to murder someone (or have someone he loves murdered - i.e. Batman).

Not sure if I believe long-term that Supes could hide (as CK at the Daily Planet) given that an entire town knows who he is and if nothing else it was clear to the government where he grew up and where his space ship was...

In summation: small nitpicking aside, it was a very entertaining flick that delivered a believable version of an epic hero that has been re-invented multiple times over the last 75 years. It may not be everyone's Superman, but it sure was close enough to be mine!

Nice review, and completely agree!

Great Movie!

Why would you watch movies you know you're not going to like? (shrug)

Great Movie!

Thanks!

Too many harsh critics and purists out there! For it to be perfect, there would have to be like 10 "variants" to get everyone's favorite Supes!

I love it when "purist" is used as a pejorative :eyeroll:

Sorry you feel that way. Opinions at the extreme end of any spectrum (let's call it Purists to Anarchists for simplicity's sake) generally have views that are just as polarizing. Hard to be objective when you only see black or white. :eyeroll:

Argument aside; whether you loved or hated the movie, it is good for the industry and a must have for the future of comics.

Side note - people that use terms like "pejorative" are typically not viewed as intelligent, only arrogant and/or condescending. Take your pick.

Great Movie!

Thanks!

Too many harsh critics and purists out there! For it to be perfect, there would have to be like 10 "variants" to get everyone's favorite Supes!

A group of 20+ kids came out of the theater and all screamed how much they loved the movie.

If someone is a purist of the Superman from the 30's and 40's then that is their problem.

I don't think it was as dark as people make it seem.

It would have been dark in my eyes if they succumb to a Christopher Reeves style of Superman.

Reeves did a great job, but that was 30+ years ago, so people need to get a life.

You started the "Chances the DC reboot sinks like a rock in a lake" thread nearly two years ago, and stated way back then that you gave it a 75% chance of being lousy. You made dozens of negative comments in the past month or so leading up to the movie. I think that asking why you bothered to see it at all is a pretty legitimate question.

If the Reeves approach was going to work then Superman Returns would have been the huge triumphant hit that it wasn't.

If someone happens to dig up and reanimate THE Christopher Reeves that may be a different story tho.

If the Reeves approach was going to work then Superman Returns would have been the huge triumphant hit that it wasn't.

If someone happens to dig up and reanimate THE Christopher Reeves that may be a different story tho.

For me besides the beginning part with Marlon Brando, Superman 1 is unwatchable anymore.

Superman 2 is great, but that is now on it's lifeline in staying in my top ten superhero movies of all time.

You started the "Chances the DC reboot sinks like a rock in a lake" thread nearly two years ago, and stated way back then that you gave it a 75% chance of being lousy. You made dozens of negative comments in the past month or so leading up to the movie. I think that asking why you bothered to see it at all is a pretty legitimate question.

How much time did you spend researching that? And from what I can tell, the New 52 reboot isn't going all that well in terms of sales.

Also, I really wanted to like "Man of Steel." I was pumped to see it, I bought the Wal Mart ticket for the night before and everything. I followed all of the hype, watched all of the trailers, read all the interviews, and was genuinely pumped. I think a more legitimate question is why anyone would care what my opinion was or why I wanted to watch it.

I have to say that it's kind of creepy that anyone can track anyone else's posts on this thing. Kind of turns me off to the whole forum as a whole. And yes, I just realized you can do that, like in the last few minutes. So, uh, yeah.