• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Man Of Steel" Thread

962 posts in this topic

Interesting Review...

And yes, it's a review, so it contains some mild spoilers.

Man Of Steel - Best Movie of the Summer

By Free Reyes

As a fan of Superman, the new Zack Snyder movie Man of Steel was my most anticipated film of 2013. Thanks to solid trailers and an amazing cast, my expectations were impossibly high. Something I did not expect is that Man of Steel would become my favorite Superman movie of all time, unseating the classic Richard Donner adaptation.

The 1978 Superman movie is iconic, so much so that it overshadows 2006's Superman Returns. Even with all its modern effects Superman Returns measured up badly for two reasons: the story was not interesting, and Superman was not very super. It is funny reporting that Superman will throw punches in Man of Steel, but that's how mild-mannered Superman Returns is.

It might seem as if they have released too much footage from Man of Steel; I have even seen readers complain that they've seen all the good stuff. I'm happy to report that you have hardly seen a damn thing. The action sequences do not stop, and just when you think it is over it goes on for 15 more minutes, then another skirmish starts, and that is before things get crazy in Metropolis. The last third of the movie is so insane I've read reviews now saying Superman throws too many punches, so I guess you can not please everyone. The devastation of two superbeings battling it out will leave you wondering, how there can be any Metropolis left standing?

The reason the 1978 Superman holds up so well is not because of the effects. It has a story and performances that raise it to a timeless quality. Man of Steel elevates things to a new level. The story in the first third moved me emotionally and far more deeply that any comic book movie ever has. David Goyer and Christopher Nolan have created an origin story so good that I truly felt I was discovering Superman again for the first time. They've taken the weakest story elements of Superman's origin and either removed them or turned them into new strengths.

Hans Zimmer is a musical genius and made a score that pushes the emotion and intensity up several notches (to 11). I've listened to the soundtrack several times, and I just keep finding new depth and richness.

Henry Cavill, a relatively unknown actor, brings a new take on Kal-El, Clark Kent, and Superman. Cavill is every bit the physical embodiment, but he also has an earnestness that makes him the best modern Superman ever to fly.

Amy Adams is the most believable Lois Lane we've ever seen, thanks to both the -script and her performance. Adams has the perfect balance of inquisitive ferociousness and an empathetic heart. The chemistry between Cavill and Adams is the best pairing since Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder.

Michael Shannon never instructs people to kneel. What he does do is create a Zod who is not a villain but a true believer in his cause, it just happens to involve the death of non-Kryptonian people. Despite his goals, you understand his pain and his purpose. Antje Traue as Faora-Ul is fiery, even with her limited dialog her physical performance informs so much about Krypton.

Kevin Costner gives the surprise performance of the film. He is the best Jonathan Kent ever. His earnest quality is a mirror to what Cavill does, and it is beautiful stuff.

Russell Crowe as Jor-El kinda steals the show. He's not just the best scientist on Krypton, he is part action hero, too, and it is awesome that Kal-El's father is a bad .

All these performances and the story are amplified and informed by a fully detailed world. Snyder takes zero shortcuts and has thought out everything. This is his finest work, and I cannot wait to watch this movie over and over.

Story, performances, action sequences, and the score put Man of Steel beyond the scope of not only this summer's movies but last summer's movies. Yes, I just said it is better than The Avengers.

Man of Steel opens June 14th.

Anyone know if there's a scene after the credits?

Like Sgt. Rock coming to Supes and saying he's a part of the Justice League Initiative?

I was thinking more of Superman waking up in the middle of the night and getting a phone call from Jonah Hex who says he's stuck in a time warp.

Interesting Review...

And yes, it's a review, so it contains some mild spoilers.

Man Of Steel - Best Movie of the Summer

By Free Reyes

As a fan of Superman, the new Zack Snyder movie Man of Steel was my most anticipated film of 2013. Thanks to solid trailers and an amazing cast, my expectations were impossibly high. Something I did not expect is that Man of Steel would become my favorite Superman movie of all time, unseating the classic Richard Donner adaptation.

The 1978 Superman movie is iconic, so much so that it overshadows 2006's Superman Returns. Even with all its modern effects Superman Returns measured up badly for two reasons: the story was not interesting, and Superman was not very super. It is funny reporting that Superman will throw punches in Man of Steel, but that's how mild-mannered Superman Returns is.

It might seem as if they have released too much footage from Man of Steel; I have even seen readers complain that they've seen all the good stuff. I'm happy to report that you have hardly seen a damn thing. The action sequences do not stop, and just when you think it is over it goes on for 15 more minutes, then another skirmish starts, and that is before things get crazy in Metropolis. The last third of the movie is so insane I've read reviews now saying Superman throws too many punches, so I guess you can not please everyone. The devastation of two superbeings battling it out will leave you wondering, how there can be any Metropolis left standing?

The reason the 1978 Superman holds up so well is not because of the effects. It has a story and performances that raise it to a timeless quality. Man of Steel elevates things to a new level. The story in the first third moved me emotionally and far more deeply that any comic book movie ever has. David Goyer and Christopher Nolan have created an origin story so good that I truly felt I was discovering Superman again for the first time. They've taken the weakest story elements of Superman's origin and either removed them or turned them into new strengths.

Hans Zimmer is a musical genius and made a score that pushes the emotion and intensity up several notches (to 11). I've listened to the soundtrack several times, and I just keep finding new depth and richness.

Henry Cavill, a relatively unknown actor, brings a new take on Kal-El, Clark Kent, and Superman. Cavill is every bit the physical embodiment, but he also has an earnestness that makes him the best modern Superman ever to fly.

Amy Adams is the most believable Lois Lane we've ever seen, thanks to both the -script and her performance. Adams has the perfect balance of inquisitive ferociousness and an empathetic heart. The chemistry between Cavill and Adams is the best pairing since Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder.

Michael Shannon never instructs people to kneel. What he does do is create a Zod who is not a villain but a true believer in his cause, it just happens to involve the death of non-Kryptonian people. Despite his goals, you understand his pain and his purpose. Antje Traue as Faora-Ul is fiery, even with her limited dialog her physical performance informs so much about Krypton.

Kevin Costner gives the surprise performance of the film. He is the best Jonathan Kent ever. His earnest quality is a mirror to what Cavill does, and it is beautiful stuff.

Russell Crowe as Jor-El kinda steals the show. He's not just the best scientist on Krypton, he is part action hero, too, and it is awesome that Kal-El's father is a bad .

All these performances and the story are amplified and informed by a fully detailed world. Snyder takes zero shortcuts and has thought out everything. This is his finest work, and I cannot wait to watch this movie over and over.

Story, performances, action sequences, and the score put Man of Steel beyond the scope of not only this summer's movies but last summer's movies. Yes, I just said it is better than The Avengers.

Man of Steel opens June 14th.

Nice to see a positive review instead of people just picking out the negatives.

Anyone know if there's a scene after the credits?

Like Sgt. Rock coming to Supes and saying he's a part of the Justice League Initiative?

I was thinking more of Superman waking up in the middle of the night and getting a phone call from Jonah Hex who says he's stuck in a time warp.

That would be worth seeing.

I posted three positive reviews yesterday from critics. AND, inserted in a spoiler tag so as not to reveal any goodies.

doh!

He points out in his first paragraph that he's a biased fan like we are though. I'm fine with that since it tells me the odds are great that I'll love the film. But that bias makes a review pretty useless for people who aren't fans of the genre and are looking for just a good movie to see.

:news:

'Man of Steel' predicted to fly away with $100M in first weekend

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

The film almost never mentions the name "Superman." But as everyone knows, the latest reboot of the oldest of superhero origin stories, "Man of Steel," is all about the boy from Krypton who fell to Earth, and it's about to be unleashed on theaters at the end of this week.

But will Superman be able to compete with his fellow men (and women) from mighty franchises like "Iron Man" and "Avengers"?

Fandango.com's Dave Karger thinks there's a fighting chance; as he said on a segment aired on Wednesday's TODAY, "I don't think 'Man of Steel' can approach what 'Iron Man' made in its first weekend, which was $175 million," he said, "but I think a $100 million opening for 'Man of Steel' is not out of the question at all."

Considering the last Superman reboot, 2006's "Superman Returns" failed to live up to expectations, there's a lot riding on the red-caped wonder and any future he may have in Hollywood. (Though let's face it, a sequel is not only a done deal -- it's already being fast-tracked.)

"The Superman character has been around since most of us were even born," said Karger. "But yet he's still a character who lives strong in peoples' imaginations."

"Man of Steel" opens in theaters on June 14. Will you go?

New Film Clip - Jor-El (Russell Crowe) going ballistic on some other Kryptonians

This is a low-res clip from Man of Steel, featuring Jor-El (Russell Crowe) going ballistic on some other Kryptonians. He's fighting for Krypton, but it doesn't look like it's going to turn out very well for the planet.

New Film Clip - Jor-El (Russell Crowe) going ballistic on some other Kryptonians

This is a low-res clip from Man of Steel, featuring Jor-El (Russell Crowe) going ballistic on some other Kryptonians. He's fighting for Krypton, but it doesn't look like it's going to turn out very well for the planet.

I think Facetime on the iphone looks better than Kryptonian technology.

As of 7:00 AM PST Today

MoS6-12-13_zps30738c0f.jpg

Big disparity between the 49 critics and the 81,641 fan expectations. :)

The actual quality of a film and the quality we fans are all hoping for usually aren't directly related, so I'm not seeing a disparity. After the film comes out RT switches the "want to see" stat over to a percentage who "liked it"; I do expect a disparity there as that's typically the case. I'd be surprised if the "liked it" score stays so high at 97% though.

Here's an interesting comparison to Superman Returns. I recall the audience rating being MUCH higher than 67% back when it came out, but people have hammered it in succeeding years.

Superman Returns Tomatometer.jpg