• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And to think. I was leading on the Mile High ABC's with three minutes left.

106 posts in this topic

So did anyone here take them? There was a while when I thought the person who outbid me was going to win them really cheap, but then the bidding started.

EDIT: I should specify that I'm talking about the AMERICA'S BEST COMICS #30 and #31 on the comicconnect auction.

If only someone had the highest graded copy of #1 for sale. :shy:

But it doesn't say Edgar Church on the label. ComicConnect has a bidder who wants to win all the Mile Highs and has the cash to do it. It's been making for some pretty crazy prices.

But it doesn't say Edgar Church on the label. ComicConnect has a bidder who wants to win all the Mile Highs and has the cash to do it. It's been making for some pretty crazy prices.

It takes two

It takes two

(All the Mile High ABCs? All the Nedors?)

If people know what books he's going after, they could be trying to shill bid him up. Any time I pay a high price for a book, I always wonder whether I was bidding against real bids or against a shill.

It takes two

If people know what books he's going after, they could be trying to shill bid him up. Any time I pay a high price for a book, I always wonder whether I was bidding against real bids or against a shill.

I for one think the vast, vast majority of auctions in our hobby are honest auctions.

Most probably are, but the ones that command what seem like very high prices are the ones that are suspect. It's also a small enough market that prices can be manipulated by one person with enough buying power.

You can call me cynical, but I've seen a lot of shady things in the hobby. For instance, in the 80s and 90s, restored books were continually being passed off as unrestored. Then there was a dealer who was micro-trimming books a few years ago. Now you have situations where the Action 1 in the CConnect action was "maximized," and the information mysteriously disappeared from the CGC site.

I love comic books too much to stay away, but I do think the fix is in, so to speak.

It takes two

I for one think the vast, vast majority of auctions in our hobby are honest auctions.

(thumbs u

I suspect more "punishment bids" than shill bids. If people figure out that someone is going to outbid them to the moon, they may bid higher just for spite.

They also may get curious about how high someone else is really willing to go.

It's another good reason to put in any extremely high bids you are planning to make as snipes.

I suspect more "punishment bids" than shill bids. If people figure out that someone is going to outbid them to the moon, they may bid higher just for spite.

It's another good reason to put in any extremely high bids you are planning to make as snipes.

I think the punishment bid and curiosity bid to find out how high he will go are probably part of it. The problem with those is that you might actually win something. And have to pay for it! That's no fun. :tonofbricks:

I didn't bid on the ABC books, but it's been surprising to me this year how many books I've been outbid on. I don't try to lowball, but hammer prices are exceeding my bids by 20% or so.

i hope he doesn't want every single church book in the auction; i kinda want one myself.

I think the punishment bid and curiosity bid to find out how high he will go are probably part of it. The problem with those is that you might actually win something. And have to pay for it! That's no fun. :tonofbricks:

I guess I wasn't making a distinction between shill bids from the seller and "punishment" bids from insincere buyers. It seems like any time I go after a book I really want, I get punishment-bid into the stratosphere. I guess the only answer is to be willing to let every book go if it goes past X dollars, no matter how much I might want it.

i hope he doesn't want every single church book in the auction; i kinda want one myself.

:wishluck:

I guess I wasn't making a distinction between shill bids from the seller and "punishment" bids from insincere buyers. It seems like any time I go after a book I really want, I get punishment-bid into the stratosphere. I guess the only answer is to be willing to let every book go if it goes past X dollars, no matter how much I might want it.

That's what I do. If the punishment bidder is uncertain how high you will go, he can take the punishment of winning a book he didn't much want. Punishing the punisher! :D