• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rate "Man of Steel," 1-10 Scale

Man of Steel  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Man of Steel

391 posts in this topic

Well just got done watching the film. On a scale of 1-10 hmm hard to rate definately not the best film I have ever watched, but not the worst. What the film has going it for it once again fantastic action sequences filmed by Snyder, good score from Hans Zimmer, and Amy Adams you can't go wrong. Against the film a loose plot really held together by action sequences, terrible choice of technology I thought I was watching Star Trek JJ Abrams or Superman VS Halo, a little over the top for his first adventure/villain, and a Lois Lane who seems to save the world better than he does. Everybody in Smallville now knows Superman is Clark Kent. The question is who does he face next because Braniac would be too similar. Also he needed to return to the truck stop to beat up Mr. Wonderful as a throwback at the end of the film.

All in all I give the film 5/10 worth seeing once, but not worth buying on BluRay or DVD.

this

The argument that tires me the most is that if I don't like it it's because I'm stuck on a Reeves Superman and I should embrace the changes to adapt to the current generation. I think that's compostable_fertilizer. Superman DOES NOT kill, period.

Nobody is telling you that you must love Man of Steel. If you don't like it, you are actually in good company with many others that have not.

But Superman does kill other beings.

- Superman Vol 2, #22 (Zod & company)

2932470-Superman_kills_01.jpg

- Superman Vol 2, #75 (Doomsday)

doomsday-vs-superman-001_480_poster.jpg

- Superman Vol. 3 #3 (Heather)

2932482-tsup_03_019_copy.jpg

It would appear Superman, when forced into a situation where a being offers him no choice in order to protect the masses, will do what he must. But with regrets.

I forgot about this one until someone sent me a PM reminder.

- Action Comics #583 (Mxyxptlk)

Alan Moore's amazing contribution to the Superman "ending", with the line "That's right, Mxyxptlk. Time to die."

Screen-Shot-2013-06-17-at-8.31.14-AM.png

Looks like Superman continues to take necessary steps, when forced to.

:(

Maybe the problem I have is that the movie is to mature. Pops saying maybe he should have let those children die, Superman being forced to kill gruesomely in front of a crowd, Lois' potty mouth....

That's what I've determined. I prefer my Superman PG.

Fair point. Unfortunately, I am not sure the movies would be as successful as a PG title. Even most of the animated movies of superheroes these days are PG13.

I understand you may not actually be that prescriptive and speaking about PG in more general terms.

Maybe the problem I have is that the movie is to mature. Pops saying maybe he should have let those children die, Superman being forced to kill gruesomely in front of a crowd, Lois' potty mouth....

That's what I've determined. I prefer my Superman PG.

That does make a lot of sense. And especially if you relate to certain content or story arcs. Then this could be a lot for someone to accept, though I think the differences between minor changes versus major changes needs to be taken into consideration.

It's just the concern with him desperately killing another being that seems to be confusing. Superman has killed before in comic books, and further back than I realized until researching some of his actions. It was just never clearly demonstrated in films or animated shoes (other than Superman/Doomsday 2007).

Man Of Steel was awesome!

too true!!

DVD comes out....?

:ohnoez:

of the DVD box?

DVD birth? hm:sick:

lol

DVD Director's Cut. With all the removed extra scenes, interviews with the cast and crew, and the "Make Zod Fight Aquaman" game that will be created for this release.

:whee:

Man Of Steel was awesome!

too true!!

DVD comes out....?

:ohnoez:

of the DVD box?

DVD birth? hm:sick:

lol

DVD Director's Cut. With all the removed extra scenes, interviews with the cast and crew, and the "Make Zod Fight Aquaman" game that will be created for this release.

Um who buys DVDs anymore...

Blu-ray!

Just saw the 3D version with my son. He liked it a lot, I thought it was okay. Better than several of the recent DC movies (Batman, Green Lantern) but not as good as Avengers.

I think I liked Avengers more because I'm a Marvel geek. However, I think Man of Steel might be the best comic movie done so far. I know that is easy to say a week after seeing it, but I think that comment may hold for awhile. There is no doubt that we are in an awesome age of comic book movie-making, and everyone is still raising the bar. The downhill side of comic movies is still pretty far away IMHO.

Just saw the 3D version with my son. He liked it a lot, I thought it was okay. Better than several of the recent DC movies (Batman, Green Lantern) but not as good as Avengers.

I think I liked Avengers more because I'm a Marvel geek. However, I think Man of Steel might be the best comic movie done so far. I know that is easy to say a week after seeing it, but I think that comment may hold for awhile. There is no doubt that we are in an awesome age of comic book movie-making, and everyone is still raising the bar. The downhill side of comic movies is still pretty far away IMHO.

Hopefully with all the positives and negatives coming from the movie, film creative teams learn and apply what is identified as working and not working for audiences.

But the road ahead seems strong for comic book-based movies.

Hopefully with all the positives and negatives coming from the movie, film creative teams learn and apply what is identified as working and not working for audiences.

But the road ahead seems strong for comic book-based movies.

I read an interesting comment yesterday regarding MoS, "could this be the beginning of the back-lash against superhero movies?".

We'll see how Wolverine & Thor 2 do this year to see if that holds any substance.

You know how things go in and out of fashion!

You know how things go in and out of fashion!

You are so right!

For a few years there, WW II movies were the big focus after Saving Private Ryan did so well. Then you had movies like Enemy At The Gates and TV movies like Ike: Countdown to D-Day (underrated movie about the planning of D-Day) and Band of Brothers. Then it slowed down.

Amazing how those waves come and go.