• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rate "Man of Steel," 1-10 Scale

Man of Steel  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Man of Steel

391 posts in this topic

Really liked it. Not without reservation or critique, but overall was really well done and worth seeing for a lot of people even if it isn't perfect.

I think this is a movie that, a few years from now, will not be looked upon too favorably. I know I'll get lambasted now for saying that, but that's what I think.

I'll wait until I see the movie tonight. I have high hopes that the critics are taking all the fun out of the movie. I went to see a highly rated movie recently and wanted to burn down the theater by the time I was done, so I take the Tomatometer in stride and don't put much into it until I see it for myself.

I went to see a highly rated movie recently and wanted to burn down the theater by the time I was done,

Is that the NSA I hear knocking on your door?

I wanted to...but I didn't... :idea:

Hold on, someone's at the door.

So I am back from an afternoon viewing of Man of Steel. I was entertained, it is visually dazzling and it contains some excellent action sequences and will satisfy those who want to see Superman fight "stuff"

I give it 6 out of 10.

Spoilers and what I really think next. Don't read if you don't want the movie spoiled.

I really feel like I have just watched someone else play a video game rather than enjoyed a movie.

The beginning Krypton stuff felt more like a Star Wars scene, but from the later movies where there is so much going on, and flying alien creatures and bombs and explosions. I didn't like the first 15 minutes at all.

Then the movie gets better, when we advance to Kal-El living on earth as an adult among humans and his exploration of self and not being accepted by earthlings. We see him struggle with keeping his abilities a secret versus doing what he knows to be right and using his gifts to help those in need. He chooses to help those that need aid, uses his powers, is seen using them and he sees how the humans look at him and this makes him escape his reality and drift. I like this part of the movie.

Then begins the part of the movie that was a video game to me. It becomes all action, fights, explosions, ships flying around, invincible guy fights other invincible guys and buildings gets smashed and destroyed and giant machines that will change / destroy the earth are deployed that Superman also has to stop destroy/ fight. Part of me was amazed at how well done visually the action is in this movie, then I start to realize how I have seen it all already in Xbox video games or other movies of this type. Somehow I am taken out of the entire experience while I am watching all the action.

Watching Superman fight someone else as powerful and indestructible as he is in the middle of a city is visually amazing and is complete with all the requisite explosions, and buildings collapsing and people in peril. It is fantastic action. Yet I come away from that viewing experience and found it felt like I needed to hit the button to advance to the next mission and it didn't feel anything at all like a satisfying movie. If action for the sake of making sure we have Superman in an action film is your thing you will love this movie.