• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rate "Man of Steel," 1-10 Scale

Man of Steel  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Man of Steel

391 posts in this topic

Just saw the 3D version with my son. He liked it a lot, I thought it was okay. Better than several of the recent DC movies (Batman, Green Lantern) but not as good as Avengers.

I think I liked Avengers more because I'm a Marvel geek. However, I think Man of Steel might be the best comic movie done so far. I know that is easy to say a week after seeing it, but I think that comment may hold for awhile. There is no doubt that we are in an awesome age of comic book movie-making, and everyone is still raising the bar. The downhill side of comic movies is still pretty far away IMHO.

Hopefully with all the positives and negatives coming from the movie, film creative teams learn and apply what is identified as working and not working for audiences.

But the road ahead seems strong for comic book-based movies.

:whee:

I read an interesting comment yesterday regarding MoS, "could this be the beginning of the back-lash against superhero movies?".

We'll see how Wolverine & Thor 2 do this year to see if that holds any substance.

You know how things go in and out of fashion!

It's been over a decade since X-Men and Spider-Man - the trend for super-hero flicks seems to be sustaining itself. I see no sign of it fading just yet.

Just saw the 3D version with my son. He liked it a lot, I thought it was okay. Better than several of the recent DC movies (Batman, Green Lantern) but not as good as Avengers.

I think I liked Avengers more because I'm a Marvel geek. However, I think Man of Steel might be the best comic movie done so far. I know that is easy to say a week after seeing it, but I think that comment may hold for awhile. There is no doubt that we are in an awesome age of comic book movie-making, and everyone is still raising the bar. The downhill side of comic movies is still pretty far away IMHO.

Hopefully with all the positives and negatives coming from the movie, film creative teams learn and apply what is identified as working and not working for audiences.

I read an interesting comment yesterday regarding MoS, "could this be the beginning of the back-lash against superhero movies?".

We'll see how Wolverine & Thor 2 do this year to see if that holds any substance.

I think this has already happened in the mainstream media.

Fortunately that means far less than it used to.

Nothing else explains why the critics gave it such a kicking. Anyone would think they just watched Batman & Robin.

I could understand it if it was Superman Returns as that was a miscast snooze fest with a couple of good moments. But MoS was a kick- awesome Superman flick!

Another interesting comment from a critic i read the other day saying...

"Why does the Marvel way have to be the "only" way?"

I for one enjoyed this alot more then Iron Man 3. Its now down to Wolverine & Thor 2 to beat it.

Nothing else explains why the critics gave it such a kicking. Anyone would think they just watched Batman & Robin.

I could understand it if it was Superman Returns as that was a miscast snooze fest with a couple of good moments. But MoS was a kick- awesome Superman flick!

I for one enjoyed this alot more then Iron Man 3. Its now down to Wolverine & Thor 2 to beat it.

There'll have to be a quantum leap in quality with the Wolvie film for the critics to be mollified. Don't see that happening.

Max Landis on why he had trouble with Man of Steel.

SPOILER ALERT!

I like this guy, and his Death and Return video was great. I think what he, and some others are missing in that MoS is Superman learning to be Superman. Sure, he's already got that "helping people with his powers" mentality down, but it isn't until he's forced to go public that he has to learn to stop being just Clark Kent, but become Superman. This movie is his first big confrontation with anything even remotely close to his level of power. So I'm ok with the destruction because this is Kal-El learning to become a superhero, not just some guy who saves lives whenever he can.

I like this guy, and his Death and Return video was great. I think what he, and some others are missing in that MoS is Superman learning to be Superman. Sure, he's already got that "helping people with his powers" mentality down, but it isn't until he's forced to go public that he has to learn to stop being just Clark Kent, but become Superman. This movie is his first big confrontation with anything even remotely close to his level of power. So I'm ok with the destruction because this is Kal-El learning to become a superhero, not just some guy who saves lives whenever he can.

Nicely put!

:applause:

I was just sharing the differing point of view on this movie.

another explanation would be that a minority of them [45% or so] saw it as a flawed film, and don't give it the same "geek bump" that so many of us do, just being happy to have our childhood heroes up on the big screen. btw, i'm a big fan of mos, flaws and all. seen it twice, might see it again.

i see no backlash, no critical aversion to the genre. last year's big 3 s/h movies, avengers, rises and asm, went 90+, 80+ and 70+ on rt., this year's prior big release, im3, went 78%. this backlash just happened in the few weeks beween im3 and mos? i don't see it.

i don't expect wolverine's reception to help, as the first movie was weak, and had poor reviews. thor, coming from marvel's mostly successful avengers run-up, may well shed some light on it. thor 1 was well received by the critics.

i don't expect either wolverine or thor to match mos's box office, as neither predecessor got over 200 domestic.

There are repeating themes in the critics assessments. I'm concluding many critics just don't like Superman, either as a historical pop-icon or for what he represents. And those closed-minds are embedded in an even larger batch that dislikes any 'serious' treatment of the character.

They seem to prefer Superman light and silly, with Clark Kent depicted as a stumbling bumbling oaf. Something to laugh at since Superman is low-brow entertainment anyway.

It's like critics had to sit through a dark horror movie of Casper the Friendly Ghost. It didn't sit well. Anything beyond Donner's vision is a shock to the critic's system or something.

There are repeating themes in the critics assessments. I'm concluding many critics just don't like Superman, either as a historical pop-icon or for what he represents. And those closed-minds are embedded in an even larger batch that dislikes any 'serious' treatment of the character.

They seem to prefer Superman light and silly, with Clark Kent depicted as a stumbling bumbling oaf. Something to laugh at since Superman is low-brow entertainment anyway.

It's like critics had to sit through a dark horror movie of Casper the Friendly Ghost. It didn't sit well. Anything beyond Donner's vision is a shock to the critic's system or something.

superman returns "certified fresh" at 75% rt, sans donner.

If anything Superman Returns was a homage to the Donnerverse. Here's one (typical) critic's glowing take of Returns:

"It's all about heart -- not that the spectacle falters; this is the finest popular entertainment since the Rings trilogy closed. Superman doesn't fly -- he soars."

:facepalm: That kinda sums up why they dislike Man Of Steel so much imho.

If anything Superman Returns was a homage to the Donnerverse. Here's one (typical) critic's glowing take of Returns:

"It's all about heart -- not that the spectacle falters; this is the finest popular entertainment since the Rings trilogy closed. Superman doesn't fly -- he soars."

:facepalm: That kinda sums up why they dislike Man Of Steel so much imho.

You forgot other critic cheers.

better than 3 and 4.

Underneath its mechanical safety and mild-manners, this movie does have some heart and some muscle. You'll come to like having it around, even if you thought you'd already moved on.

Singer has crafted a generally exciting and dazzling entertainment.

Which proves his point.

That right there is poetry. ^^

Here's what I think of the movie:

Shannon played a really good villain. His character had the most substance, I think. I liked the father/son dynamics in the movie too. Seeing more of the planet Krypton was neat. I think Crow did a good job in his role. The effects were good too, but the fight scene at the end was too long. I would have enjoyed seeing Adams and Cavil have more screen time together than seeing that big alien ship.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It was a good summer flick, and it was great to see Superman flying again on the big screen. (thumbs u

Which proves his point.

we disagree. i don't see 'returns' that way at all.

Which proves his point.

Even though Bryan Singer said it was a direct descendant/ continuation/homage to Donner's vision?

Which proves his point.

It was dismal, bland and uninvolving. MOS certainly wasn't.