• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rate "Man of Steel," 1-10 Scale

Man of Steel  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Man of Steel

391 posts in this topic

Watched with kids last nights. Last Friday night movie I will every see just too damn expensive.

Overall not a bad film I gave it a 7. It wasn't a knockout. I actually thought Zod did a very good job of giving his point of view which is very rare for villains in the movies. I loved the oil rig scene at the beginning and some of the flashbacks with him as kid.

While I am not a huge Superman some of the changes were tough to swallow switching away from the heart attack to his dad and going with weather instead. It doesn't have the same heart ache I don't think. Its a good foundation to build upon, but they gotta put some humor in, some easter eggs, and more for us old foggies. My kids really did enjoy it, but toward the end I just kinda thought it was over the top.

A great try to re-enter Superman. It wasn't a home run, but it got the series back.

Looks like there are new votes all over the place.

MofS_poll22_zpse9f08d23.jpg

But statistically, the votes are fairly stable.

MEAN = 7.2

MEDIAN = 8.0

MODE = 8.0

Meanwhile, IMDB remains at 7.9/10 based on 141,556 user votes.

Just came back from seeing it and wasn't impressed. It felt like a cross between the Matrix (with the babies being grown) and Star Trek (the "planet engine"). Just to heavy/dark, not enough lightness like in the original Supe movies. Also a big plot hole was how Krypton in this version terraformed other areas of the galaxy and yet nobody remained off Krypton...why? And if they (Zod and his followers) knew the planet was coming to an end, why didn't they just leave the planet before being arrested? Or any other citizens for that matter? They had the technology to do so.

I'm not sure if we watched the same film.

Kryptonians did stay off planet - bodies are clearly seen when Jor-El is telling Kal about the explorations.

Jor-EL is the only person who believes the planet is coming to its end - there is no scene that implies that Zod thinks the same.

Just came back from seeing it and wasn't impressed. It felt like a cross between the Matrix (with the babies being grown) and Star Trek (the "planet engine"). Just to heavy/dark, not enough lightness like in the original Supe movies. Also a big plot hole was how Krypton in this version terraformed other areas of the galaxy and yet nobody remained off Krypton...why? And if they (Zod and his followers) knew the planet was coming to an end, why didn't they just leave the planet before being arrested? Or any other citizens for that matter? They had the technology to do so.

Kryptonians did stay off planet - bodies are clearly seen when Jor-El is telling Kal about the explorations.

Jor-EL is the only person who believes the planet is coming to its end - there is no scene that implies that Zod thinks the same.

No, everyone (or at least The Counsel) was aware. They're playing it all defensive with their "What were we supposed to do, we were running out of resources??!?!" business. And Zod's freaking out because he's aware too. It's his motivation for rebelling against The Council: "Look what these degenerate bloodlines have brought us to! Follow me and I shall yadda yadda yadda Codex McGuffin."

No, everyone (or at least The Counsel) was aware. They're playing it all defensive with their "What were we supposed to do, we were running out of resources??!?!" business. And Zod's freaking out because he's aware too. It's his motivation for rebelling against The Council: "Look what these degenerate bloodlines have brought us to! Follow me and I shall yadda yadda yadda Codex McGuffin."

That's not how I saw it - the Council disagreed with Jor-EL's findings and Zod was rebelling against the Council for his own reasons.

That's not how I saw it - the Council disagreed with Jor-EL's findings and Zod was rebelling against the Council for his own reasons.

WRONG!!! :sumo::)

Prove it.

Prove it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6816641#Post6816641

Some scenes weren't so bad with the "camera effects." I didn't mind the one effect where, when people are flying around, it is as if the camera is being shaken from being so close. But, like the church scene with Clark and the man of God? Why couldn't they use a steady cam there (and in other shots, some previously mentioned already?)

It was mildly annoying at best, I will admit.

:)

-slym

Your right, they did, not what I meant to say...what I did mean was they terraformed but nobody survived outside of Krypton? I just thought it weird that all those that stayed off Krypton died and they didn't explain why.

Your right, they did, not what I meant to say...what I did mean was they terraformed but nobody survived outside of Krypton? I just thought it weird that all those that stayed off Krypton died and they didn't explain why.

There's this whole theme of moral entropy on Krypton. They gradually gave up exploring, lost contact with the colonies, started to look inwards, etc. It's kinda a Star Trek TOS theme really.

Possibly they will cover that in - hopefully - future sequels.

There's this whole theme of moral entropy on Krypton. They gradually gave up exploring, lost contact with the colonies, started to look inwards, etc. It's kinda a Star Trek TOS theme really.

It's this that I think Zod and his followers are rebelling against.

It's this that I think Zod and his followers are rebelling against.

Agreed. And it's tied to the pillaging of the Kryptonian core ... short-sightedness, kinda lazily (or maybe with a lack of creative thinking) raping their own means of survival for short term gain.