• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got back from the midnight showing of Man of Steel! *Safe to Read*

17 posts in this topic

Before you shout at me "ermahgerd another Superman thread!" :ohnoez: , I paid my $9.00 so shut up and read my review, or don't, I don't give a damn.

First off a little atmosphere.

The theater was not much more than half filled so there was no problem in getting a ticket. I haven't been to the movies in years and my sore butt reminds me of why. Those seats are just terrible. I have a stool in the kitchen I use to reach the top shelf. I"d rather sit on that thing for two hours plus. And it was late and I was tired while watching the movie (12:00 to 2:30ish AM), so my sleepiness and butthurt might have influenced my impression of the movie.

I rate it 9.2 using the CGC sale. By comparison I would rate The Avengers 9.6. Or if you must use the star system: 4 out of 5 stars.

It's a good movie with great action and a wonderful sound track. The actors were pretty much spot on. The death rays and explosions and space ships were all wonderfully done. Most of the audience applauded a few times during the movie, ironically the largest applause came near the end when (see second spoiler tag). There were a few grumbles I overheard on the way out too. One word I heard was "disappointed".

However..... I'll use spoil tags! :gossip:

There was one major super duper plot hole. :cry:

And another story choice that hurt the movie some I think, but it's understandable to some degree given the pace of the story there was no time at to do "it".

First off the major plot hole (spoiler tag soon). I couldn't stop thinking about it throughout the second half of the movie and it's what prevents it from being higher than 4 stars imo even though the film had the potential.

Big Spoiler Alert :news:

OK when Zod and his goons show up the plan is to terraform Earth to make another Krypton. This is understandable at first, but when they arrive and start getting their superpowers why wouldn't they stop? (In the movie it's the atmosphere and the gravity of the planet as much as the yellow Sun that gives birth to the superpowers.) Why they hell would they ever want to get rid of their new powers? Grrrrrrrr Really bad plot hole.... :eek:

Second more minor problem and smaller spoil.

Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Planet was missing for 98% of the film! He didn't put his glasses on and show up until the last scene. Ironically this moment had the loudest (by far) applause all though the movie. I guess they didn't have time to develop the character with all action. *sigh*

All in all a good movie. Go see it. Rotten Tomatoes can go suck a rotten tomato.

-=Aces=-

And another story choice that hurt the movie some I think, but it's understandable to some degree given the pace of the story there was no time at to do "it".

First off the major plot hole (spoiler tag soon). I couldn't stop thinking about it throughout the second half of the movie and it's what prevents it from being higher than 4 stars imo even though the film had the potential.

OK when Zod and his goons show up the plan is to terraform Earth to make another Krypton. This is understandable at first, but when they arrive and start getting their superpowers why wouldn't they stop? (In the movie it's the atmosphere and the gravity of the planet as much as the yellow Sun that gives birth to the superpowers.) Why they hell would they ever want to get rid of their new powers? Grrrrrrrr Really bad plot hole.... :eek:

They want their home more than their powers

I rate it 9.2 using the CGC sale. By comparison I would rate The Avengers 9.6. Or if you must use the star system: 4 out of 5 stars.

I think you mean 4.6 out of 5 stars. :baiting:

Aces. Where the hell do you live that you only paid $9???? $16 bucks last night and the theater was packed.

I don't think they cared about the powers. Once they would have terraformed new Krypton they still would have been able to conquer the planet (advanced technology and all that) The flaw that I never understood with the whole "Superman's powers come from Earth's Yellow Sun thing was... HE LEAVES EARTH SOME TIMES, otherwise wouldn't he be powerless O well rant over. Awesome movie

Aces. Where the hell do you live that you only paid $9???? $16 bucks last night and the theater was packed.

I don't think they cared about the powers. Once they would have terraformed new Krypton they still would have been able to conquer the planet (advanced technology and all that) The flaw that I never understood with the whole "Superman's powers come from Earth's Yellow Sun thing was... HE LEAVES EARTH SOME TIMES, otherwise wouldn't he be powerless O well rant over. Awesome movie

Ditto. (shrug) $9 is a matinee price in the progressive (ie: expensive) mecca of California. Perhaps that's why they make you sit on a cinderblock rather than an actual chair, sacraficing a little comfort for affordability hm

Regardless, thanks for enduring and giving your opinion (thumbs u

Buffalo area.

Low population and we're are one of the nation's low rent districts so everything (except the price of gas and NY state taxes) is cheaper here.

I had to pay $18 for 3D to go see it on Saturday. Good thing about this theatre is that you can reserve your seats in advance.

Oh, and I saw it in 2D. :)

They want their home more than their powers

They visited all those Kryptonian outposts on their way to earth where those terraforming world changers were used and they all ended up failing. They should have figured out that's a bad plan. And once they got to earth and the superpowers started manifesting there's no way they should destroy a place like that. I mean if you found a tree that gave a fruit you could eat that gave you super powers like Superman would you chop the tree down because you wanted to plant a maple tree in it's spot that was like the one on your childhood home?

I saw it at the midnight showing last night and paid $6.50

No discount, no nothing, that was regular full price.

Where? Have to know. NYC here so under $10 doesn't exist.

I saw it at the midnight showing last night and paid $6.50

No discount, no nothing, that was regular full price.

Soo lucky!!!! I wish prices were like that over here :cry: Just yesterday, I saw another movie and they charged me $16 for a ticket because it was in a much larger sized screen with nice leather chairs oh and in 2D.. I was like :mad: It's ridiculous!