• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued By Overstreet

30 posts in this topic

I feel like this list could go on forever on these threads...

Asking if a price guide gets pricing wrong to a bunch of collectors is not exactly what I would call an "unbiased panel...."

That being said - DC Silver Keys sums up a big portion from my perspective.

Also add, Copper/Modern low-print, popular character books (TMNT 1 first print for example).

Lots of undervalued Gold Key tv cartoon (thumbs u or Dell Four Color funny animal comic first appearances that top out in NM at about $120 like:

1. Snagglepuss

2. Speedy Gonzales circa 1960

3. Huckleberry Hound circa 1960

4. Tinker Bell circa 1962 ?

5. Rocky and Fiendish Friends

6. Mr Magoo

Not sure if these books are really undervalued much/if at all.

Long-term value of comics is determined by the relevance of the characters to the collectors and the relevance of the characters overtime to investors. I think many would agree that the characters listed above are popular with current collectors aged generally mid-30's and up (probably skews higher to the 50's and up). However, because the characters have not been re-introduced to younger generations (or successfully reintroduced - exception being Tinker Bell); their long-term value is not ensured.

Mickey Mouse, Batman and Spiderman are excellent examples of characters reintroduced successfully to every generation born since their creation. I am not positive you can say the same thing about Snagglepuss, Mr. Magoo or Huckleberry Hound. I love them to, but that does not make them valuable books to more than a select few (constrained supply off-set by growing demand is what drives market pricing).

Rarity and quality are also certainly important, but the CGC registry is full of books that are both rare and high quality that are not worth the cases they were put in.

Net - I submit that the proposed books values are not nearly as off as other relevant titles still growing in popularity (Marvel keys) and awareness (DC keys).

Just my 2c.

Although not silver age, I find the 15 and 20 cent cover price issues of Iron Man and Hulk very hard to find in high grade. They easily sell for double Overstreet.

Conversely, I have no explanation for why Neal Adam's first issue of Green Lantern is so expensive. There is no extra value placed on his first issue of X-Men or Brave and the Bold?

Conversely, I have no explanation for why Neal Adam's first issue of Green Lantern is so expensive. There is no extra value placed on his first issue of X-Men or Brave and the Bold?

It's not simply Adams art on GL 76 that makes it worth what it is, it's the social relevance of the story by O'Neil and Adams and the importance placed on it by comic fandom. Additionally, some people consider it the beginning of the Bronze age, although that's a matter of debate.

Marvel forgotten pre-hero books:

Amazing Adventures 1-6

Strange Worlds 1-5

World of Fantasy 16-19

These and every other pre-hero Marvel as well. Guide values are low across the board on them.

A few books not yet mentioned that come quickly to mind...

Young Men 24 (Reintro Timely Super-heroes)

Action 242 any grade above Good

Magnus Robot Fighter 1 (Gold Key)

Doctor Solar 1 (Gold Key)

Four Color 596 (1st Turok)