• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A thought-provoking essay on superheroes and race

9 posts in this topic

There has been a lot of discussion (and by discussion I mean locked threads) on the subject of rebooting traditionally white comic book characters as people of color. I think it's an interesting topic but a subject that on these boards, sadly often devolves into ugly arguments that bring out the worst in people.

Maybe that will happen with this thread and it will get locked like all the others, but before it does I hope that some of you will read this very thought-provoking essay from author Chris Huntington, a white comic-loving parent of an Ethiopian son and consider this perspective the next time the subject comes up.

A Superhero Who Looks Like My Son

Thanks for sharing. It is a good read and I relate to it completely.

:o

There are no superheros from Baltimore? :baiting:

That was really a nice article. Thank you for sharing this.

I grew up in Indiana and saved a few thousand comic books in white boxes for the son I would have someday. You know how it is: we want to give our children the best moments of our own childhoods.

Exactly! And my sons definitely want in on this, though not always due to superheroes.

“Let me tell you about America,” I said. “It’s a place where anything is possible.”

It is so nice to read something like this, what with all the negatives floating around over the years due to self-fulfillment and greed.

My childhood memories and my son’s fit together, one inside the other, like two plastic cups.

WOW! That hit home.

There has been a lot of discussion (and by discussion I mean locked threads) on the subject of rebooting traditionally white comic book characters as people of color. I think it's an interesting topic but a subject that on these boards, sadly often devolves into ugly arguments that bring out the worst in people.

Maybe that will happen with this thread and it will get locked like all the others, but before it does I hope that some of you will read this very thought-provoking essay from author Chris Huntington, a white comic-loving parent of an Ethiopian son and consider this perspective the next time the subject comes up.

A Superhero Who Looks Like My Son

Great article - thanks for posting it.

And the 'new' Ultimate Spider-Man comic book is a very good read.