• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Was The 1st Mystique Appearance In X-Men?

42 posts in this topic

That's a beautiful 141 you've got coming!

I just recently re-read the whole Claremont X-Men run. From memory, 141 was the first time I believe Mystique appeared in X-Men. So, I agree with the rest of the group on that point.

I was looking at some of the CGC labels for this issue, and some say, "Mystique appearance", and others don't. I wonder when CGC decided to start listing it?

I had the same question when it came to WD #1, newer labels have Rick, Shane, Morgan, Dwayne. The response I got was that characters and events get noted once they're relevant. Makes sense.

Or it's when someone at CGC remembers to add it :makepoint:

Can't wait for the day when Mystique becomes relevant. lol So, should the CGC labels actually say, "First Mystique in title"?

Both copies arrived today in better condition than I could have hoped for. #141 has a perfect spine and corners with beautiful white pages. #142 is in similar condition with off white-to white pages. Some really nice examples, and I'm almost tempted to send them in for grading. A great story line as well. Full of Mystique and Sentinel badness.

That's a beautiful 141 you've got coming!

I just recently re-read the whole Claremont X-Men run. From memory, 141 was the first time I believe Mystique appeared in X-Men. So, I agree with the rest of the group on that point.

I was looking at some of the CGC labels for this issue, and some say, "Mystique appearance", and others don't. I wonder when CGC decided to start listing it?

I had the same question when it came to WD #1, newer labels have Rick, Shane, Morgan, Dwayne. The response I got was that characters and events get noted once they're relevant. Makes sense.

Or it's when someone at CGC remembers to add it :makepoint:

Can't wait for the day when Mystique becomes relevant. lol So, should the CGC labels actually say, "First Mystique in title"?

hehe, its almost not funny but it took almost 2 years to find a Ms Marvel 18 cgc 9.8 wp.

For what its worth, at this time the Ms Marvel Mystique storyline/1st appearances is CGC labeled as such:

Ms Marvel #16 1st appearance of Mystique

Ms Marvel #17 cameo of Mystique

Ms Marvel #18 1st Full Appearance of Mystique

While Mystique is in 16 and 17, she isn't inked or realized as 'Mystique', the blue shape shifting baddie till #18.

all the comic wiki's inaccurately list Mystique's first appearances. Which has been confusing and disheartening collectors (on a budget) last few years. Ms Marvel #18 is rare. only a handful of copies in 9.8 wp exist out of 27 9.8's. wiki appears to briefly mention #16 as her first appearance which is just wrong! and full of fail :(

As an X-men collector, it fascinates me how extremely rare some of these graded key bronze first appearances are.

I think its worth it to pick up 16,17,and 18 if you guys haven't yet. great story and better than most especially for a first appearance! I've found classic key stories are dated but this one is exceptionally timeless, to a degree.

Grats on your pick up OP, I hope everything works out smoothly. X-men 141 is a fantastic book!

Mystique is my favorite villain of all time! At the recent SDCC panel, Mystique was voted best/most popular character in X-men. Jennifer got the most cheers for sure. so don't miss the boat in snagging these early appearances of Mystique up!

#141 is such a great issue. It's got the classic cover, the classic story, the first appearance of Rachel Summers, Avalanche, Pryo...and it also features the first appearance of Mystqiue in the pages of X-Men. What a classic :cloud9:

I love the way the Bronze and Copper Age Mystique was drawn. She was very appealing.

I'm guessing John Byrne did the interior art as well? I love all the Marvel covers with females on them. Romita, Kane, Buscema, Sinnott, Steranko, Cockrum, Brunner and Thorne just to name a few all did great silver and bronze age pin up artwork. Those Red Sonja, Ms. Marvel, Shanna, Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacey, Felicia Hardy, Phoenix, Black Widow, Rogue, and even Shalla- Bal are burned onto my retinas. Mystique had the added dimension of being blue and a redhead. :cloud9:

Yes, John Byrne did the interior art and also came up with the idea for the story and plotted it as well.

The X-Men #141 arrived in shockingly mint condition. Couldn't believe it. Mystique's first full appearance is in Ms. Marvel #18, but Raven Darkholme is in Ms. Marvel #16 and #17. She just doesn't appear as Mystique until #18 (see below). Where we see her transform to her true blue self for the first time. She really wants Carol Danvers killed in a bad way too. That plot climaxes in Avengers Annual #10.

photo aaa_zpsa7020e11.jpg

The X-Men #141 arrived in shockingly mint condition. Couldn't believe it. Mystique's first full appearance is in Ms. Marvel #18, but Raven Darkholme is in Ms. Marvel #16 and #17. She just doesn't appear as Mystique until #18 (see below). Where we see her transform to her true blue self for the first time.

Well, it‘s not that Raven Darkholme is a sort of secret identity. It’s her name, and she simply appears disguised starting in #16, but it’s always her, not pretending to be another character: Raven Darkholme/Mystique has the physical appearance revealed in #18, but nothing more. #16 would be the first apperance, so I consider all three at the same level of importance.

Reminds me of Nebulon on the Defenders… :D

Definitely. They're sold as a set many times. Of course every time I see a set of 'em there's usually a bad apple in there. lol. I still need a #16, and wouldn't mind having a better #18.

Never read Defenders as a kid so I'll take your word for it. I liked Inhumans better. If Black Bolt was on the cover I was beggin' ma for a quarter.

Defenders has been a great series, especially up to some point. Now I just hope they don’t decide to do a movie… :boo:

Just think about how great the Sheena, Kull, and Red Sonja movies were, and be glad they didn't make one back then. lol

What a curious choice: a Kull the conqueror movie. And in 1997?

I wonder why they never considered relatively easy characters without specific super-powers (requiring less special effects, before the Hollywood Marvels, I mean). Deathlok and Luke Cage would have been good candidates. :)

All I can say is that Hollywood is a weird place with lots of weird money. If you think about what it actually takes to make a movie it's amazing that one ever gets made at all. Someone first has to have the vision, then a bunch of people put up money, cast and crew are assembled, movie is shot, edited, and distributed. So many things have to go off without a hitch just to make a bad movie. It's almost a miracle when a good one is made. There's so many good stories that should be made into film, but the pieces just haven't fallen together for any number of reasons.

Yes, and special effects aren’t all that necessary. What is complicated to me is that a movie has to be subdue to many people’s "direction": not only the director, but the director of photography, etc. The screenwriter should also agree with the director (or vice-versa). That’s probably what I don’t like much about high-budget movies now: they hardly will meet any true artistic expectation like a "cheap" comic book could do.

Now they are ruining most comics treating them as "movies".

Hollywood targets the biggest demographics that are willing to PAY to see what they produced. It has always been about the $.....but since the 90's where Eastern Europe opened its market and then the Asia and South America continents, Hollywood is all about making movies that make the most money EVERYWHERE. Every movie (bad or good) made more money outside the U.S. so the target is more likely the teenagers that couldn't careless about plots, character developments, good acting, etc....THEY WANT BLOW UP ACTIONS, BOOBIES, AZZZZZZESSSS SHAKING!

Back in the 70's and 80's when a movie blow up overseas, it is pretty much just Western Europe...Raiders of the Lost Ark brought in $141 million in the foreign market compared to $248 million in North America.

The last piece of garbage Indiana Jone and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull brought in $317 million domestically and a whopping $470 million overseas.

As poorly as John Carter did in the U.S. $73 million, it almost triple that in the oversea markets...crazy so whatever Hollywood is doing, it is a hell of a lot of research on its core audience outside the U.S.

All the numbers are pointing outside the U.S and they keep growing and Hollywood will keep making the movies that keep the foreign audiences lining up

urghh....you might be a minority :baiting: in avoiding the garbages. In all seriousness, your age demographic is not in the mindset of Hollywood...they want those Italian teenagers that want to see the Avengers 5 times.