• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebayer asking to do a transaction off of the bay...????

38 posts in this topic

So I have a graded book I'm trying to sell on the bay and the perspective buyer has sent 2 offers, both of which I have rejected as we all know the fees with BIN's have gone up. I have free Prority shipping to boot. The buyer asked me if I would do this off ebay to save on fees, but his offer is still a little low to me. I would never really even consider this, but I see he is a pretty active seller/buyer himself with good feedback.

I told him I'd think about it only if the money cleared in my bank account before the book was sent. I just don't know what to do as I don't want to become a statistic of some rip-off. Thoughts, ideas?????

You are asking for advice.

My advice: DON'T do this.

You think eBay can't figure this out???

If you plan on sticking around for 15 or so years, it is NOT worth the $15.00 or so yuo might save now...

CAL :hi:

If you plan on sticking around for 15 or so years, it is NOT worth the $15.00 or so yuo might save now...

I'm with Cal on this one (thumbs u

So I have a graded book I'm trying to sell on the bay and the perspective buyer has sent 2 offers, both of which I have rejected as we all know the fees with BIN's have gone up. I have free Prority shipping to boot. The buyer asked me if I would do this off ebay to save on fees, but his offer is still a little low to me. I would never really even consider this, but I see he is a pretty active seller/buyer himself with good feedback.

I told him I'd think about it only if the money cleared in my bank account before the book was sent. I just don't know what to do as I don't want to become a statistic of some rip-off. Thoughts, ideas?????

As long as you use Paypal and follow the rules (print label with their system, get tracking and insurance) your as safe off eBay as on.

eBay won't do a thing to help you as a seller except give the buyer some kind of non-paying strike or something if they don't pay.

Also eBay rules are more favorable to buyers now so you might even be safer off eBay than on with Paypal.

Staying neutral on whether to do it or not, but since he is an active ebayer, he knows how eBay fees are added on to the selling price. He may just want to save the cash.

My BIL has made off ebay offers for high end kitchen appliances In the same manner. He was able to save hundreds with the seller not making any less.

Of course...you do need to trust the individual on the other end. Reading these boards I feel that buying/selling comics on eBay have higher risks than eBay as a whole.

Move the whole sale off eBay and into private emails and eBay will not do mess to you.

You have the same protections through PayPal that you have through eBay. Hell if anything if something does go wrong it is easier as a seller to deal with the PP end of the company than the tards on the eBay side of things.

This is from a Powerseller/Top Rated Seller who has been at it longer than Cal (since 97) and I have never managed to get myself booted from eBay unlike some others in this thread who are making suggestions and manage to always cause problems on both ends of a transaction.

As long as you use Paypal and follow the rules (print label with their system, get tracking and insurance) your as safe off eBay as on.

eBay won't do a thing to help you as a seller except give the buyer some kind of non-paying strike or something if they don't pay.

Also eBay rules are more favorable to buyers now so you might even be safer off eBay than on with Paypal.

+1 i saw an af15 on ebay from a seller in my town. i messaged him that i would like to meet up and buy it in person with cash. he said no. it would have been better for him to do the deal off ebay but he didnt want to get kicked off ebay. told him sorry and that i understood, he has a whopping 10 feedback. some people are just really stupid.

Move the whole sale off eBay and into private emails and eBay will not do mess to you.

You have the same protections through PayPal that you have through eBay. Hell if anything if something does go wrong it is easier as a seller to deal with the PP end of the company than the tards on the eBay side of things.

This is from a Powerseller/Top Rated Seller who has been at it longer than Cal (since 97) and I have never managed to get myself booted from eBay unlike some others in this thread who are making suggestions and manage to always cause problems on both ends of a transaction.

:winnah:

I'm an eBay powerseller too and would never shy away from doing an off-eBay transaction - as long as you're not trying to broker a deal through eBay's messaging system, you should be just fine. Saves the buyer some cash, saves me some cash = win all around.

Of course, it helps that I'm not insane.

:winnah:

I'm an eBay powerseller too and would never shy away from doing an off-eBay transaction - as long as you're not trying to broker a deal through eBay's messaging system, you should be just fine. Saves the buyer some cash, saves me some cash = win all around.

Of course, it helps that I'm not insane.

Same here, Power seller, Top Rated seller. I do off Ebay deals all the time . I just never discuss them through the Ebay messaging system . I have my email available in my About Me page on Ebay . I tell people to find my contact info that way , email me and we will discuss it further . The only problem the OP has is coming to terms on a price . Plenty of deals get done using PP and have nothing to do with Ebay.

The OP is just scared from all the "Ebay is the Devil " threads here .

If you used Ebay to find the buyer, I think you should use Ebay for the transaction. Without them , you wouldn't have connected. To me, the right thing is to give eBay their cut.

I realize that is an old fashioned view, but doing whats right never really goes out of style.

You can't even send your personal e-mail address in an eBay message.

I found this out as is kicked it back to me when a lady wanted to do a deal off eBay. They have a filter for that sort of thing I guess.

But if you space out each letter it goes through just fine, but eBay will have record of it. But I doubt with the millions of e-mails that go thru that they can police each one.

But with that being said I rarely do off ebay transactions and haven't for quite some time.

Elvis

If you used Ebay to find the buyer, I think you should use Ebay for the transaction. Without them , you wouldn't have connected. To me, the right thing is to give eBay their cut.

I realize that is an old fashioned view, but doing whats right never really goes out of style.

+1

eBay did a service, they should be compensated.

+1

eBay did a service, they should be compensated.

Ebay . They get more than they deserve already .