• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bunch of books, some keys, mostly (ok, some) disappointing...

96 posts in this topic

This very much reminds me of a collection that my local comic shop got in about 5 years ago.

The books belonged to a younger man who died, and his father then kept them in storage for about 20 years. When he passed, his relatives sold the entire batch to the shop.

Many coverless, taped, heavily worn, and well-read comics from about 1940 on. Some even had hand-drawn covers. The majority of the books were browning.

I got first look but mostly dismissed the collection because of the overall poor condition. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have more appreciation for the books and what they represent.

So enjoy and have fun!

Batman 55

55inside_zpse22e966c.jpg

Did all the books belong to Ed Lahmann? Here's a letter he wrote to Marvel that was published in Daredevil #4, and the editor's response...

Dear Stan and Joe,

I just read DAREDEVIL #2—Orlando's art is as good as usual but I must criticize #2 in this respect. You are going to cheapen a truly inspired book by adding super-villains. Daredevil is a great idea and he can stand alone. Please don't go "commercial!" I don't think you realize how truly individual DD is. I also feel as though you don't realize you have here another classic strip. Usually a writer only hits with one great strip. You have hit in the comics with many! Orlando can do a masterful job. In a year or two Daredevil will be the true pride of your company.

Ed Lahmann, 2061 E. LeGrande Ave.

Indianapolis, Ind.

Got news for you, Ed ... we're proud of Matt right now! In an unbelievably short shoe he's already become one of Marvel's brightest stars! In fact, we've received so many thousands of letters praising the mag to the skies that we had to dig for hours to find the few critical letters which appear here, in order to make this section more interesting! As for our use of super-villains for Daredevil, we'll leave that up to our frantic fens, as usual. What do you say, out there in Marvel land? Are you pro or con?

And another letter to the editor, this one published in Fantastic Four #24 and concerning Strange Tales #114. I guess he wanted Cap to stay dead!

Dear Stan and Jack,

I have just read STRANGE TALES #114 containing "The Return of Captain America". Now let me say I thoroughly enjoyed the story as I have long been after the Captain's return. But alas, the true light has dawned on me. I'm afraid it was nostalgia that prompted my support of the Captain. The story proved he is outdated and lacks the color he formerly had. The Captain was a classic of the pioneer days, a legend. Let him remain so. He had his day. I don't think he fits today after all. You have left it in the hands of the fans, so the decision is theirs, and time will tell. Keep up your outstanding efforts and enlightened ideas. You're all doing a great job.

Ed Lahmann

(a comic fan for 25 years)

2061 E. LeGrande

Indianapolis, Ind.

Ed, you're a rugged individualist! You're one of the ONLY fans who nixed Cap's return! But we think you're gonna change your mind when you see him in THE AVENGERS #4! Let us know, huh?

That's funny! You must have a good memory to remember in which issues those letters have been posted. To my knowledge this is the only book that belonged to Ed Lahmann, but I have not had the time to go through all the books yet.

Oh, I didn't remember. Google is my friend. (thumbs u

This very much reminds me of a collection that my local comic shop got in about 5 years ago.

The books belonged to a younger man who died, and his father then kept them in storage for about 20 years. When he passed, his relatives sold the entire batch to the shop.

Many coverless, taped, heavily worn, and well-read comics from about 1940 on. Some even had hand-drawn covers. The majority of the books were browning.

I got first look but mostly dismissed the collection because of the overall poor condition. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have more appreciation for the books and what they represent.

So enjoy and have fun!

Those belonged to a man who bought them around 40 years ago.

I'm having fun going through them, there are books that I've never held in my hands before included in the bunch I got. I will definitely keep a few for myself...

Batman 55

55inside_zpse22e966c.jpg

Did all the books belong to Ed Lahmann? Here's a letter he wrote to Marvel that was published in Daredevil #4, and the editor's response...

Dear Stan and Joe,

I just read DAREDEVIL #2—Orlando's art is as good as usual but I must criticize #2 in this respect. You are going to cheapen a truly inspired book by adding super-villains. Daredevil is a great idea and he can stand alone. Please don't go "commercial!" I don't think you realize how truly individual DD is. I also feel as though you don't realize you have here another classic strip. Usually a writer only hits with one great strip. You have hit in the comics with many! Orlando can do a masterful job. In a year or two Daredevil will be the true pride of your company.

Indianapolis, Ind.

Got news for you, Ed ... we're proud of Matt right now! In an unbelievably short shoe he's already become one of Marvel's brightest stars! In fact, we've received so many thousands of letters praising the mag to the skies that we had to dig for hours to find the few critical letters which appear here, in order to make this section more interesting! As for our use of super-villains for Daredevil, we'll leave that up to our frantic fens, as usual. What do you say, out there in Marvel land? Are you pro or con?

And another letter to the editor, this one published in Fantastic Four #24 and concerning Strange Tales #114. I guess he wanted Cap to stay dead!

Dear Stan and Jack,

I have just read STRANGE TALES #114 containing "The Return of Captain America". Now let me say I thoroughly enjoyed the story as I have long been after the Captain's return. But alas, the true light has dawned on me. I'm afraid it was nostalgia that prompted my support of the Captain. The story proved he is outdated and lacks the color he formerly had. The Captain was a classic of the pioneer days, a legend. Let him remain so. He had his day. I don't think he fits today after all. You have left it in the hands of the fans, so the decision is theirs, and time will tell. Keep up your outstanding efforts and enlightened ideas. You're all doing a great job.

Ed Lahmann

2061 E. LeGrande

Indianapolis, Ind.

Ed, you're a rugged individualist! You're one of the ONLY fans who nixed Cap's return! But we think you're gonna change your mind when you see him in THE AVENGERS #4! Let us know, huh?

That's funny! You must have a good memory to remember in which issues those letters have been posted. To my knowledge this is the only book that belonged to Ed Lahmann, but I have not had the time to go through all the books yet.

lol

Batman 55

55inside_zpse22e966c.jpg

Dear Stan and Joe,

Indianapolis, Ind.

Dear Stan and Jack,

Ed Lahmann

2061 E. LeGrande

Indianapolis, Ind.

Well, thanks nearmint, and thanks Google! Oh, and I should probably thank Ed Lahmann and gojira, too. (thumbs u

You seem disappointed by the books but I think they're beautiful. Please consider selling them on the boards as I and others would be interested and you'll pay no selling fees other than paypal.

Thanks for your input!

I'm a bit disappointed by quite a few books especially the incomplete ones. What sickens me is that some guy put a lot of tape on some of the books 40 years ago that would otherwise have been in the vg- to vg range.

I don't know about selling the books on the board, I'm new here and have no feedback and I'm in Europe, so shipping would be expensive. I have to think about that!

Nice find! Clearly you're new to Golden Age books since the vast majority that are found today are low-grade examples like the ones your friend has. These types of books sell very fast at shows as long as you price them accordingly - less than Overstreet Good. If you attempt to get more out of them you'll find it a long, slow process. The All-Star 8 is different story though. You can always get a little bump on even low-grade copies.

Have fun!

Gojira, do you have any Zip Comics, Daredevils and/or Boy Comics?

I will PM you as there are just a few GA comics I am looking for, and I can afford them only in low grade.

I am in Italy and I sell here constantly: trust the other US collectors: everything will be super-smooth, assumed it is not a hassle for you to go to the Post Office (I found a good timing on that!) :)

You seem disappointed by the books but I think they're beautiful. Please consider selling them on the boards as I and others would be interested and you'll pay no selling fees other than paypal.

Thanks for your input!

I'm a bit disappointed by quite a few books especially the incomplete ones. What sickens me is that some guy put a lot of tape on some of the books 40 years ago that would otherwise have been in the vg- to vg range.

I don't know about selling the books on the board, I'm new here and have no feedback and I'm in Europe, so shipping would be expensive. I have to think about that!

Nice find! Clearly you're new to Golden Age books since the vast majority that are found today are low-grade examples like the ones your friend has. These types of books sell very fast at shows as long as you price them accordingly - less than Overstreet Good. If you attempt to get more out of them you'll find it a long, slow process. The All-Star 8 is different story though. You can always get a little bump on even low-grade copies.

Have fun!

Thanks! Yep, it's the first time I've gotten my hands on the early Golden Age books that are included in the batch I've posted in this thread. I've had some fun going through the books, especially the early 40's ones. I'm more into the 50's stuff and DC Silver Age.

Gojira, do you have any Zip Comics, Daredevils and/or Boy Comics?

I will PM you as there are just a few GA comics I am looking for, and I can afford them only in low grade.

I am in Italy and I sell here constantly: trust the other US collectors: everything will be super-smooth, assumed it is not a hassle for you to go to the Post Office (I found a good timing on that!) :)

I've only one Zip Comics, it's issue 32 and I might keep that one, because the cover is great. I've gotten some offers and will start a sales thread by the end of the week. The French post (and Post Office) sucks, but i guess I'll have to manage...

I've only one Zip Comics, it's issue 32 and I might keep that one, because the cover is great. I've gotten some offers and will start a sales thread by the end of the week. The French post (and Post Office) sucks, but i guess I'll have to manage...

That‘s fine, I was mostly looking for issues in the #10-13 range. (thumbs u

Regarding the Postal Service, I must admit I have begun to appreciate more our own Postal Service, as the USPS literally destroyed an envelope of mine in a continental US transition. Such a thing never happened to me in Italy.

Please give a public announcement here when you will start the thread, as I am sure most people will be interested.

That‘s fine, I was mostly looking for issues in the #10-13 range. (thumbs u

Regarding the Postal Service, I must admit I have begun to appreciate more our own Postal Service, as the USPS literally destroyed an envelope of mine in a continental US transition. Such a thing never happened to me in Italy.

Please give a public announcement here when you will start the thread, as I am sure most people will be interested.

Will do!