• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's missing in the comic book market today??

27 posts in this topic

Just getting back into the collecting world of comics after a 13 year hiatus, kids cost fun money. One thing that is see is not as many books being printed as it was when I left, seems like if you don't have a pull box, there's a good chance you might have to pick it up on the secondary market. I also notice that a lot of shops aren't carrying a wide selection of back issues. At least this is my view from Las Vegas.

The one thing I do miss is the wizard guide. That was my one stop shop combining upcoming issues, story lines, toys, and prices. Yea there's ebay, heritage and the like, but sometimes that's a pain to be looking up data in a shop.

Anyone else miss the wizard or anything else from the day?

Wizard was at times a real fun magazine. Their price guide wasn't worth mess though.

I miss the old Comic Book Marketplace mag, especially the Gary Carter edited issues.

13 years ago....you resources for getting comics and looking at them was primarily at the comic book shop...but today, most comics are sold via the internet or ebay or auction sites. I think just as many people are reading them, they are buying them differently.

Just getting back into the collecting world of comics after a 13 year hiatus, kids cost fun money. One thing that is see is not as many books being printed as it was when I left, seems like if you don't have a pull box, there's a good chance you might have to pick it up on the secondary market. I also notice that a lot of shops aren't carrying a wide selection of back issues. At least this is my view from Las Vegas.

The one thing I do miss is the wizard guide. That was my one stop shop combining upcoming issues, story lines, toys, and prices. Yea there's ebay, heritage and the like, but sometimes that's a pain to be looking up data in a shop.

Order quantities are down. Many stores don't sell back issues well after the first month. Publishers print TPB collections within 6 months of the comics being released so many readers just buy that instead of collecting back issues.

Bleeding Cool Magazine looked like it was trying to fill the void Wizard demise left. Not sure if the prices section is up to speed at all.

I miss cover prices. I'm simply not paying $3.99 for modern comics.

DG

Are you more of a modern age collector or a vintage collector? Wizard was more of a 'speculator's friend' in my opinion than anything else. While I liked Comic Buyer's Guide; as a back issue collector, I really didn't find much use in any of the comic book collecting based publications except for the Overstreet Guide. There is an excellent Overstreet Guide to Comic Book Collecting (book) that I suggest anyone check out. It is well worth the price!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I miss one cover per comic book, unless it was a foil or chromium cover then they might print out a regular edition.

now there are 30 covers for every #1 or special edition or something major issue.

and I miss the story driving the comic book, put a good story with decent art and it was a great comic, now, you can read most books in under 3 minutes if you ignore the art the first time thru.

Most of all I miss the stand alone issue, they are few and far between now, seems that everything that comes out has a 4 to 8 issue story arc, so they can sell more trade paperbacks and hardbacks.

oh yeah I almost forgot, I miss the Punisher, Marvel at least is all about sales, quantity before quality, they think if they put out enough books that they will make more money, and in the short term that's a good plan, but I used to buy every marvel book, now im down to 4 monthly and about to cut 2 of them. the long term ramifications of marvel not putting out much quality is collectors like myself finding other books to fill the void(Valiant, Dark Horse Presents, Bionic Man) and with the fact that children today do not buy comic books to any major degree(if they get 20 bucks a week to spend that is only about 4 books.)

Marvel and DC are digging themselves a hole that even Disney and Warner Brothers wont be able to dig em out of.

In other words, I miss the Punisher, a really cool character that doesn't have his own mag cause marvel cant provide a good writer and artist for to sustain a series.

13 years ago....you resources for getting comics and looking at them was primarily at the comic book shop...

Not for me. 13 years ago, I had been on Ebay for 2 1/2 years and had 300 feedbacks from buying comics. I was also buying comics from the weekly CBG at the same time. My LCS was a distant third to these 2.

AND WHERE THE :censored: IS RAI???

I was thinking, with no Solar or Magnus, do they really need a Rai?

Since there is Bloodshot, there will be a Rai. That's assuming Valiant sticks to their association with one another.