• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other Hobbies and Interests

23 posts in this topic

How does comic collecting relate to or remind you of other hobbies.

When reading journals about our comic collecting hobby from other members I have noticed others talk about their other interests in life. This got me thinking about how our other hobbies may connect to comic collecting. One member has a collection of armor (Lee K), another is also a writer (SW3D). I'm sure many artists out there aspired to become artists because they started reading comic books at a young age, I'm also sure there are several budding writers out there who were inspired to write because of the comic stories they have enjoyed.

I too have other interests outside of collecting comic books, I often find myself thinking about various comic covers when I'm out and about perusing my other interests in life. I reside in Colorado, a beautiful state with access to many trails and beautiful scenery, I hike often and my preferred method of exercise is running. I have yet to run a marathon and I do not think of the Flash when I go for a run but I find running to be a great way to unwind after a long day. When hiking, I find myself thinking about certain comic covers, I often see signs warning of bear activity on many of the trails I hike. So far I have only seen one bear, this was very brief, I was looking at a condo where I saw a small bear run quickly by the parking area; it happened so fast I did not get a good look. When I see signs about bear activity I think about the covers to Further Adventures of Indiana Jones #22 and Action Comics #140 (pictured below), I hope I will not have any close encounters anytime soon!

I'm curious to hear about how comics and other hobbies may connect in the Collectors Society, and what comic covers come to mind when you pursue your other interests. Any comic stories or covers ever inspire you to try something different?

Brandon

13871.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Thanks for writing a cool thought provoking journal Brandon. I wish I had some tie in to comics from my other interests, but I got nothing. I am looking forward to visiting Estes Park CO next month though for a family reunion on my wife's side. I've only been to CO (Denver) once and it was years ago in the winter for a business trip. Totally agree...beautiful country. Planning to check out Mile High while I'm there this time!

Believe it or not, comic books were not my first hobby. It was actually Baseball Cards, and i started buying cards from Topps wax packs as far back as 1975. I even loved to collect the Kellog, Post Cereal, and Hostess give away cards. I continued to collect Baseball Cards even after i long stopped buying comics because i love the sport of Baseball. But i haven't bought a baseball card in a few years. I blame it on the Mets for being such a lousy and heartbreaking team. In 2010 i was in Denver and i caught a Rockies game. Beautiful ballpark!

My other favorite thing to collect are Concert Programs and Concert Tickets of all my favorite rock bands. I've been to about 60 or 70 shows in my lifetime, beginning in 1987 with my first concert to see Robert Plant with Cheap Trick opening up. The following year i was very lucky to see Roy Orbison before his untimely death. I've seen Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, The Who, Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, The Bee Gees, The Kinks, Asia, Blue Oyster Cult, Moody Blues, Supertramp, Zebra, Rush, Billy Joel, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Soundgarden... and a bunch of others. Now these have no real value in my opinion, but for me have HUGE sentimental value and i would never give them up... especially the tickets. Each one represents a special date.. and i can recall with great detail about which friends or girlfriends i went with to see these shows. They were great times! I also have a crazy amount of CD's but i'm hoping to downsize since my entire music library has been converted to MP3.

SW3D

As with SW3D I used to collect baseball cards as a kid with my dad. I still have them all in binders or sealed complete sets. There all mostly 80's and 90s stuff. From there I moved into music, which I'm still really into. I've played in a few bands and like SW3d again I've been to so many shows I couldn't give you a number. Most of my musical taste falls on a darker heavier edge than SW3D. I tend to listen to bands like Pantera, Between the Buried and Me, All Shall Perish and Lamb of God and so on.

The comic covers I think of when it comes to music are some of those corny things Kiss did back in the 70's and 80's. I was never a fan but always thought it was cool that they would do comics as well as anything else to make a buck.

I really didn't have a hobby prior to collecting comics. But I do like to draw. I believe my interest in drawing began when I was maybe 10 (1971), when I started reading comics. I don't remember exactly what issues but I do recall having Spider-Man, Hulk and Fantastic Four to be some of the books I had. Yes, had.... (mom threw them out).

Drawing really wasn't a hobby, just a past time, a way to relax. I would sit there trying to copy that comic book cover, sometimes I did traced it. Didn't keep up with it because I felt I wasn't good enough, good enough that is when creating a scene directly from my own imagination. Non-the-less, I did continue to draw when-ever I felt bored or inspired. I would look at newspaper photo's and try and draw them. Too bad I didn't save them. I could have seen my own progress. I am especially tuned into details.

<a  href=1986-01.jpg' alt='1986-01.jpg'>

Don't know If I did this right. Hope you can see the drawing. If not you can view it and more at Photobucket and search for FB2K3

I began collecting high grade Mad Magazines because in my day Mad was something "good" people didn't read. I remember when I got caught with a Mad back in 2nd grade, I was beaten with a yard stick and had my recesses taken away for 30 days.

Growing up In my area of the country Mad many times was not even available "Banned" I find it odd today that Mad was so controversial. Today I can boast a CGC Mad collection in excess of $150,000.00 and find that as a result of my treatment for reading Mad, that I had no other choice but to collect them.

Every time I think of Pantera I think of Dimebag Darrell's tragic and senseless death. I saw a documentary of it and it just shocked me! Totally sad day!

I do like heavy stuff and speed metal: Metallica, Motörhead, Yvgwie Malmstein, Rob Zombie, and a multitude of "Hair Metal Bands" i grew up during the 80's and 90's... But these guys are tame by today's standards.

Over the years I've learned to embrace all forms of music and I often catch myself listening to things I know in my 20's would have said no to.

Believe it or not... Ages ago I wanted to be a lead singer for a rock band... except the problem is... I can't sing for my life... But I can write great lyrics.

Did u play an instrument or were you lead singer?

SW3D

Like a few other people have mentioned, I collected baseball cards as a kid but grew out of it somewhere. Another hobby I've had an on again off again relationship with is Magic the Gathering. In fact at 34 years old, I think comics are the only hobby I've started and never taken a break from. I got in to them about 12 years old and still love the hobby as much as ever. As for what I collect now it's hard to say anymore because I own a gaming/comic shop and being surrounded by all this stuff scratches that itch for what is actually "mine". Of course I have my personal comic collection at home that I put money and effort in to, but a lof of other things I kind of imagine I collect, but if I had to close my store I'd probably give a lot of that stuff up pretty quick.

I stll remember the day Dime was killed. It was such a surreal moment. It instantly made you think of Lennon, who was killed by a deranged fan. The weirder thing is it was the same day.

I do listen to a lot of dfferent things but always find myself going back to the heavy stuff.

As far as bands, Im like you can't sing for . I played bass and guitar depending on which band I was in at the time. It was the most fun I've had doing anything. I loved playing shows, recording and writing. Here's a pic of what I have left of my guitars.

DSCN2487_zps719e9c52-1.jpg

Ill have to read everyone's responses later. I'll be seeing Superman shortly and wanted to answer this properly. I was at work and knew I couldn't then either but as I'm waiting for my friend before the movie with coffee in hand I can now.

At first I didn't know I had hobbies. I was only keeping occupied. I can guarantee my first comic book was given to me at the early age of five. It was a Star Wars Comic book. I wrote my first story in sixth grade. I had to hide it because my mom thought it was gibberish. The earliest thing I can remember collecting was pennies, especially wheat cents, but what kid didn't.

In high school I ran cross country. This is something I would like to do know but my knee and I aren't always on the best terms. I never considered it a hobby.

As an adult. I still write, creatively and on the journals. Considering I write a lot here, of course I think if comic books, but creatively I tend to dismiss it. As a kid I would Keats imagine myself in the worlds if movies or comic books I experienced. Sometimes, even at my age I still do this. What would I be like if I were like Superman or SpiderMan, or Cypher. As a you get kid I thought that power was stupid, hell so did the character, but as an adult how cool would that be?

So Writing and Collecting comic books are two of four hobbies I have, the third I have not done in a while and if it isn't high end I pass in it. I used to collect Star Wars merchandise. And although comic books became my first financial priority I never purged any of my Star Wars items. Although I sold one item to make space on the wall. And my last hobby, shot glasses. I love to collect mess glasses from my friends, family, and customers that travel abroad. So if you wish to send me any from anywhere you go they will join the over four hundred I currently have.

Thanks for bringing this subject up and I'll be reading all the responses later at work. I just hope to enjoy the movie. How can you too being six and watching the screen a tidally believing a man could fly.

Tnerb

Please excuse any thing that should have been edited, I'm still scratching from the flea bites.

Wow... didn't realize JL and DD were killed on the same day! How sh*t that's mind blowing!

Oh no!... You're a Redskins fan and I'm a Cowboys fan. RG3 had Romo and Co's number last game of the season... heartbreak!!!

But seriously... wow! Really rad guitars man and keyboards to boot! Looks like you have a Gibson on the far left, Fender on the far right, but the two middle heavy metal style guitars always fool me... don't know who makes them. SH*T I bet you shred! You should make a video and post it on Youtube and send me the link... play like your best orginal composition and maybe a classic cover. That would be radical!

I had some crazy idea I could sing back in 1990 (i was basically sick of college and wanted out!) and tried my hand at it and sucked tremendously! That was laughable. And sadly, i can't play an instrument to save my worthless life. But if I could I would pick the drums and play ala Carl Palmer and Neil Peart.

SW3D

Wow... I didn't know you own a comic shop! What's the name and what's the website url?

Very cool to know you're living the dream! I would love to own my own business.

Congrats!

SW3D

That's a cool hobby... shot glasses. I hear people also collect authentic Beer Taps and Beer Mugs.

You should take a photo of your collection and share it with us.

A long time ago, when I toyed with being someone with sophistication, I wanted to collect vintage red wines... like the ones you see in high-end restaurants or private cellars. But that is just a dream/fantasy.

SW3D

I would say in my younger days I could shred. It's been awhile since I played. But the two on the left are Gibson's. The ones on the right are a bc rich virgin warlock and an Ibanez sr405 5 string bass. Yes I'm a skins fan but also a huge football fan. I have things signed by players from quite a few teams. Nothing from Dallas, but I would get something if it's the right player.

Hey M,

Have you seen this really sad documentary about the heavy metal band Pentagram? It's is called Last Days Here. I caught it on Showtime over the weekend. F*cking sad! I recommend you see it.

Here's the link on wiki about the film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Days_Here

Here's the wiki link about Pentagram: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram_(band)

I realized...is your favorite band Meshuggah?

Keep Rocking Brother!

SW3D

I have not seen that but will have to check it out. Good catch on the name. You are correct. I have to give it up to Brandon Shepherd for starting a great discussion.

Tnerb - no spoilers but I thought superman was excellent. A couple things bothered me but I'll keep them to myself for now to avoid spoiling anything.

I went to college in Northern Ohio, about an hour away from Columbus, OH. When the news broke of the shooting of Dime, at a club in Columbus, I had a house mate who knew the area, and had been to the club before. I also knew several other other people on campus who knew the club. If I remember correctly, the police officer involved had to rush the stage and take out the gunman without any back up.

There was also some talk about music, I too really got into music in middle school and high school, R.E.M was my first favorite band. I used to be the kind of person who had to get into everything 100%, so if I discovered a new band or singer, I had to get all their albums, check out their concert videos, find imported CD singles with rare b-sides and acoustic versions and live bootlegs. Napster and CD burning changed all of this, after that I stopped buying a lot of CDs, and I didn't have to shell out the money for rare singles once I found out I could just download it. So I remember a time when my CD collection was an actual collection, put together with care, as a reflection of who I was, now I have only a fraction of the discs I used to and they are not even on display. I tried guitar but I could not make it work, the musical talent went to my siblings but skipped me. I've been to some concerts in my time, one of my all time favorites is the Police, while I don't pursue Police merchandize actively, I have complied a small collection of vintage books from the early '80s about them. I also got to see them during their reunion in 2008 so I splurged on a program and tee shirt.

Studio25: Very nice Frazetta drawing, I got into figure sketching in college, I started to scratch the surface, but lost touch. I had a few fraternity brothers who were good artist and showed me some techniques, comics were not far from my mind when drawing.

GamingEtc: I have always wondered what it would be like to own a store, my thought is that it would be cool to be surrounded by all the goodies, all the time, but then after a week or so I'd realized that I'm actually at work, I guess I'll never know.

Tnerb: You mentioned having a lot of Star Wars stuff, I too used to have a ton of SW stuff, I collected the figures in the Power of the Force line in the '90s, by the time Episode I came out, I realized that I was surrounded by SW junk and that it had became too much, it is only a movie after all. I still like SW but I have since purged most of my stuff, I went back to basics on SW and kept only what was truly special, I decided that I did not need the merchandize to enjoy the movies.

Speaking of figures, I started collecting 1980's G.I. Joes in the early 2000's, this could be separate journal in itself, I find that every three or four years that I get the bug to collect these guys again. To briefly summarize, I used to watch the cartoons in the early '90s, since the 'toons were from the mid '80s, all the toys of the characters I watched and liked had long been out of production by 1990, and were nowhere near as interesting as the characters that were on the toy store shelves at the time, the toy line lasted from 1982 to 1994. When I saw a collection of '80s Joes at 19, I found this to be a unique opportunity for closure, to finally get those characters I really wanted when I was a kid. I pretty much have most of the characters I wanted, I never wanted the complete set, just the cool characters from around 1983-85. I guess I can say that I now have closure on this.

In the end, it all comes back to comics for me, thanks for reading and sharing your responses.

Brandon

You're correct about what the officer had to do. You can actually see the video online. It's not really graphic as the angle prevents you from seeing anything. But the cop comes onstage and does what he has to.

But to other less depressing things. That's cool you collect g.i. Joe's. After seeing 40 year old virgin I realized I had a future fortune in all the stuff I used to have. Damn hindsight making me regret having fun with toys.