• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adding grading fees to insurace total...Yes I do.

65 posts in this topic

He said that when he subed it he thought it would grade to a 9.0 and insured it as such. CGC really needs to change that practice, and insure after grading, also prevents someone who thinks they are getting a 9.8 and gets a 9.2 from way over paying as well.

To the OP - you paid for $1500 in insurance, and with just a little proof, there should be no reason you shouldn't get your money back.

Yep, that is what insurance is for.

had my first claim with the post office... and yes I add grading fees as part of the loss... they say it isn't covered I say grading + shipping to CGC and the $1400 book is all part of the $1500 I claimed as insurance.

Needless to say I received my package by registered mail in a plastic bag that had a note stuck to it that said "damaged in equipment" the postal lady still wanted me to sign for it, which I did, then filed a claim at the post office. My Hulk #181 in 9.6 is ruined.. tore the book in half along with the cgc holder.

Post office says I can't claim the grading fee... dig in, because they won't like me when I am angry...lol

Huge font does not get your point across any more clearly than normal sized font. Therefore irrelevant

Ok, so the book got to CGC, got graded a 9.6(congrats you lucky blankety blank), got shipped from CGC thru the post office( I assume on your account) and was destroyed along with the case.

and the post office admits it was their mistake!

if all this is true, then dude, I wouldn't settle for 1500, i'd find a lawyer and hit the post office for at least 5 grand plus attorney fees, plus court costs.

so if I was you(and im not, im just sayin) id call a lawyer first thing on the morrow. and at least find out if you have a case, they usually chompin at the bit to sue a major company cause they can jack up their fees and make em pay.

I say this as a person who has sued a major company and won, with barely any case to start with. your case has much more to start with than mine did.

I think he's mad about the wrong thing.

Screw recovering grading costs...getting the 'whole' $1500 isn't the issue; I'd be going after someone for book value which is at least 2K more than the insurance coverage purchased.

(shrug)

Hi :hi: Lawyer here. Can't just sue the post office because you're mad. You need to prove either negligence or malice intent (i.e. that the person who was supposed to be monitoring the system fell asleep while his book was going through the machine or they picked up the box and started whacking it with a baseball bat because they are pissed with you/the shipper) While I do love to sue major companies, I guess because I do it every day (as a corporate attorney, you are almost always suing another major company) it just seems like eh another day at the office.

To the OP - you paid for $1500 in insurance, and with just a little proof, there should be no reason you shouldn't get your money back.

Yep, that is what insurance is for.

+1

I'm going to guess the best scenario is getting your insurance money. It sucks that you have to bite and scratch to get it, though. That's kinda BS.

First, whenever you sub a book to CGC and they ask what the value is... it is the maximum that the value will allow.

When I sent in my first major submission of AF15, ASM1 and an ASM129 the postal clerk asked me how much to insure it. I knew it would be more than $200 and I was sending it registered, so I insured it for the $25,000.

They lose it. I am compensated and can replace my books.

First, whenever you sub a book to CGC and they ask what the value is... it is the maximum that the value will allow.

When I sent in my first major submission of AF15, ASM1 and an ASM129 the postal clerk asked me how much to insure it. I knew it would be more than $200 and I was sending it registered, so I insured it for the $25,000.

They lose it. I am compensated and can replace my books.

+1 before i got cia, i shipped with max insurance amount. what if all 30 of your x-force 1's came back 10.0's?

This one should be easy. The book was insured for $1,500, and a CGC 9.6 Hulk 181 is worth way more than that. Grading and shipping shouldn't even enter into the equation.

For those of you suggesting that he should have put a much higher value because the difference in price for insurance is so nominal, keep in mind that would push the book up to a higher grading tier, making the grading much more expensive (from $95 for Express to 3% of FMV for Walkthru). I'm a little surprised in this instance that CGC did not charge for the higher grading tier given the difference in value. Had they done that, the package would have been insured for a higher amount.

This one should be easy. The book was insured for $1,500, and a CGC 9.6 Hulk 181 is worth way more than that. Grading and shipping shouldn't even enter into the equation.

For those of you suggesting that he should have put a much higher value because the difference in price for insurance is so nominal, keep in mind that would push the book up to a higher grading tier, making the grading much more expensive (from $95 for Express to 3% of FMV for Walkthru). I'm a little surprised in this instance that CGC did not charge for the higher grading tier given the difference in value. Had they done that, the package would have been insured for a higher amount.

It would only have gone from standard to express probably. Walkthru seems like overkill for a 9.6.

Still waiting for pics.

It would only have gone from standard to express probably. Walkthru seems like overkill for a 9.6.

Still waiting for pics.

It should already have been Express at $1,500. :makepoint:

But now that I've looked at GPA, a CGC 9.6 Hulk #181 is not quite what I thought it was. I guess it's been a long time since I've paid attention to that book. Since Express goes up to $3K, a 9.6 Hulk #181 probably wouldn't warrant bumping up the grading a level. It probably would have taken a 9.8 to do that.

Still waiting for pics.

But now that I've looked at GPA, a CGC 9.6 Hulk #181 is not quite what I thought it was. I guess it's been a long time since I've paid attention to that book. Since Express goes up to $3K, a 9.6 Hulk #181 probably wouldn't warrant bumping up the grading a level. It probably would have taken a 9.8 to do that.

i had a walking dead 1 submitted for me around 3 months ago under modern fast track that came back a 9.8 (shrug) worth more than e $200 limit fast track moderns have.

Still waiting for pics.

i had a walking dead 1 submitted for me around 3 months ago under modern fast track that came back a 9.8 (shrug) worth more than e $200 limit fast track moderns have.

Well, now that you just publicly stated this, CGC will be contacting you about a payment bump. :devil:

I think CGC is in the wrong here. 2c

If I buy a book here on the boards or on eBay, it's the sellers responsibility to get the book shipped safely to me. Sellers can choose how much to charge for shipping, but ultimately it's their job to pack and ship it safely with insurance. Everyone of you reading this who sell CGC books understand the concept.

I think this is a similar case. CGC is shipping the book back to the customer. It's their job to pack and ship it safely to their customer. They charge extra when books bump up in grading tiers with higher grades, and they should apply that concept to shipping costs as well. Their shipping department needs to be more organized. 2c

I think CGC is in the wrong here. 2c

If I buy a book here on the boards or on eBay, it's the sellers responsibility to get the book shipped safely to me. Sellers can choose how much to charge for shipping, but ultimately it's their job to pack and ship it safely with insurance. Everyone of you reading this who sell CGC books understand the concept.

I think this is a similar case. CGC is shipping the book back to the customer. It's their job to pack and ship it safely to their customer. They charge extra when books bump up in grading tiers with higher grades, and they should apply that concept to shipping costs as well. Their shipping department needs to be more organized. 2c

Let me guess ... if the USPS postal truck accidentally caught on fire, this would be CGC's responsibility as well?

The submitter is the one responsible for setting a realistic insurance value - the OP set the value of his book at $1,500, it was damaged by the USPS, and he's entitled to go after the USPS for the full $1,500. Nothing more, nothing less.