• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Tales of Suspense #43

12 posts in this topic

What do you guys think?

At first I thought there was rust on the staples but there's no migration or stains and the staples are clean inside the book. Could it just be discoloration?

TOS43fcsm.jpg

TOS43bcsm.jpg

At this grade, I would consider taking the staples out, cleaning them and re-inserting. They are obviously tarnished if not full-on rusted. Inspect them closely with a loop and consider replacing with vintage staples in good condition. Now's the time to do it - "Rust never sleeps" :grin:

At this grade, I would consider taking the staples out, cleaning them and re-inserting. They are obviously tarnished if not full-on rusted. Inspect them closely with a loop and consider replacing with vintage staples in good condition. Now's the time to do it - "Rust never sleeps" :grin:
Isn't that restoration?

Isn't that restoration?

Depends who you ask and what you want. Personally, I would consider it conservation. If you clean the staples using a non-abrasive eraser, it will remove the tarnish and not scratch the staple surface. What you have now is a condition that will only worsen. Staple cleaning or replacement, if done correctly and with vintage staples, is not only allowed under conventional Overtsreet guidelines, but generally undetectable under CGC guidelines. Ask yourself what is important to you. It's not like this book has tremendous resale upside. Preserve the past, and enjoy your books for as long as you are around ;-)